Suggestion: Controller mapping and premeditated shots

Alberts

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
One thing that bothers me a lot about the controls on the game currently is how you leave the ball. In general, facing up to a quick bowler I have my fingers around the triggers, and my thumbs on the sticks. This works well for playing most shots, but leaving the ball, regardless of how it's done, hitting 'A' (X on PS3) or pressing in the stick, just seems really awkward. I have to completely change my grip, and for something that should be pretty much reflexive, on the game it's awkward to an extent that it just feels wrong.

Personally I think having the leave option being something that is a button which is in the natural grip for facing up should be a high priority, but it's not. You could argue that pushing in the stick is in the grip, and maybe it's just me, but it's something that is really odd to do for some reason. Maybe that's my own taste though.

After some thought the only real idea I could come up with was an option for another set of controls. One thing worth noting is that the left button would be near perfect for a leave button, as it's already in the grip, doesn't affect the thumbs (in case you were already planning a shot when you made the decision), easy to press and being on the opposite side to the defensive trigger makes in an good option when you're most likely to be using when already in a defensive mindset. However, as it's currently mapped to "unorthodox shots" this is undesirable in the current layout. What is worth noting though is that these generally are premeditated, as is the mapping of the other button, advancing down the wicket. Based on this I would actually think that at least having the option to map these to the face buttons, 'A' and 'B' would be preferable. That is, have them as a 'sticky keys' style control where once they're pressed (as the bowler is coming in or the ball in the air) they "stay on", that is, you're not physically pressing them while taking the shot. This would also add the option for other types of premeditated shot styles, like the "Helicopter shot", "Switch Hit" or whatever else takes peoples fancy. It would also allow for using the triggers with the modified shots to be a bit easy, that is, hold the left trigger (aggressive shots) after pressing the 'unorthodox shots' facebutton and you could do a slog sweep (which is highly requested) for example.

This control style would also open up the right button to be used for something else, and another suggestion I heard recently fits it like a glove: "emergency block" or "emergency fend". At the moment there is no option to attempt a last ditch block, something that whilst not recommended, can be done. Having this, although very unlikely to be included in this iteration of the game (balance issues could be a concern without long term work and testing), having it on this button would be ideal, as it's unlikely you'd be using an "emergency block" if you were already using the defensive trigger, whilst it would be possible if you had initially started an aggressive shot.

All in all though I think such changes in the control system could add a lot to the game at this point, not only making leaves a bit simpler to do, but also offering more options for the aggressive and slog shots which currently can't be done with the controls. In the future I do hope for some for something like this and for more controller mappings for people's personal tastes.

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
As I have posted before I think that leave should be the R2 button (PS3 controller) with no input on the RHS. LHS forward + R2 = Leave and LHS back + R2 = duck.
This would make perfect sense in my opinion as R2 is already defensive and when I bat in the academy my finger is always hovering over it to block.

Alberts

International Coach
As I have posted before I think that leave should be the R2 button (PS3 controller) with no input on the RHS. LHS forward + R2 = Leave and LHS back + R2 = duck.
This would make perfect sense in my opinion as R2 is already defensive and when I bat in the academy my finger is always hovering over it to block.

The problem is something needs to trigger it. At this point pressing the button triggers the action, if there's no input but modifiers (trigger and left stick) then there's nothing to trigger it. The left button (or right button if that takes your fancy) gives it that "button press" to start it.

CricketPlayer55

International Coach
Why not just have the movement of the left stick alone serve as a leave, rather than having a button or a trigger paired up with it? That way it's both relatively easy to execute (both front-foot and back-foot leaves) and doesn't overwrite any other controls.

Pat

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Why not just have the movement of the left stick alone serve as a leave, rather than having a button or a trigger paired up with it? That way it's both relatively easy to execute (both front-foot and back-foot leaves) and doesn't overwrite any other controls.

It's a big change from the current control scheme. LAS and RAS are interlinked. One of the suggestions made when the game launched was to separate the two i.e. making LAS independent of RAS. That way I could just move my feet to cover the line of the ball but not touch RAS which can effectively "leave" the ball.

This will also help with advance shots as currently they are pretty much useless. You can advance down and move your feet LAS, then watch the line of the ball and then press RAS in the appropriate direction.

bestfriendh

Club Captain
Great points. Especially agree with the leave button. I don't know if it's just me, but I get out a lot of times inadvertently pressing the leave button.

Alberts

International Coach

Because people could move it slightly before the right stick and cause issues.

There are already front and back foot leaves by the way.

Again, I'm asking for options, not a complete replacement.

ellgieff

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

The problem there is the timing of it - at what point does the game decide you're not play a _really_ late shot and trigger a dodge?

And if it does it late enough, the animation of the dodge will have to be insanely quick, and likely to look a little strange.

Alberts

International Coach
If you have a problem, just don't press anything. It's practically leaving.

Yep, no point trying to discuss potential options, no point continuing to discuss ways of improving the game.

I've actually had the ball hit the bat with no input. Didn't really matter, but was interesting.

But no, no, let's ignore the entire set of suggestions and issues with the current control system and just leave it as is. We'd don't need more options, better control or future development.

ellgieff

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yep, no point trying to discuss potential options, no point continuing to discuss ways of improving the game.

I've actually had the ball hit the bat with no input. Didn't really matter, but was interesting.

But no, no, let's ignore the entire set of suggestions and issues with the current control system and just leave it as is. We'd don't need more options, better control or future development.

I've had the ball hit the bat three times in that situation.

Once it was caught, and I was given out. Twice it cleared the keeper/slips, and ran for four.

Which were signalled as byes :(

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
When I was testing out some of the downloads I was making, I had to leave the room for a moment and didn't pause - when I got back it was 5 balls into the over and I was no wickets down and had gotten a four.

I'd be interested in what Big Ant tested controls wise - particularly if anything was considered better but too complex.

I know the Big Ant guys mentioned something about controller mapping for PC - most likely to help those who have non-Xbox controllers (like the one the controller bundle has) - maybe at least things like the face buttons, moving the leave control, etc. could be added for consoles without much extra work.

I would be hesitant in general, because adding control options just opens the gate to the 'if you can give them that option, where is my field radar and pitch marker' kind of complaints.

Switching which particular buttons do what while not making many changes to the overall scheme would be best.

Alberts

International Coach
When I was testing out some of the downloads I was making, I had to leave the room for a moment and didn't pause - when I got back it was 5 balls into the over and I was no wickets down and had gotten a four.

I'd be interested in what Big Ant tested controls wise - particularly if anything was considered better but too complex.

I know the Big Ant guys mentioned something about controller mapping for PC - most likely to help those who have non-Xbox controllers (like the one the controller bundle has) - maybe at least things like the face buttons, moving the leave control, etc. could be added for consoles without much extra work.

I would be hesitant in general, because adding control options just opens the gate to the 'if you can give them that option, where is my field radar and pitch marker' kind of complaints.

Switching which particular buttons do what while not making many changes to the overall scheme would be best.

Plenty of games use multiple drastically different control systems, and this one would hardly be drastically different.

I thing I do think is important is opening up other options.

By mapping the face buttons as the "premeditated" shot types (again, like sticky keys, you press them during the ball and they stay on unless pressed again) you not only open up the option for more types, but a way of adding in the other modifiers to go with them. For example:

A: Unorthodox Shots
B: Advance down the pitch
X: T20 slogs
Y: Switch hit shots

With the addition of modifier options, for example press A then use the triggers, you could have slog sweeps and such. Those kind of options are very much future version kind of things though.

Mapping the current ones to the facebuttons though have the advantage of opening up those shoulder buttons. I would like to have the LB as a leave button, as it would be so much more nature to use. Having the other for the emergency block would also be nice, but again, that's more of a future version suggestion.

Who knows though, I kind of just want more options.

D

Deleted member 9102

I left the controller as well while testing mods and had the ball hit the bat, here's what happened;

To the boundary in two bounces :D.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread