Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22006892-23215,00.html

0,5001,5550899,00.jpg

Galaxy far away heads to Sydney

By Tom Smithies and Jo Hildebrand
July 03, 2007

DAVID Beckham is heading to Sydney after the football star's US team signed a deal last night to play against Sydney FC in November.

The match at Telstra Stadium, certain to be a sell-out, will be the centrepiece of a visit to Sydney by the world's most famous footballer's new club, LA Galaxy, and the Beckham entourage.

Beckham's wife, Victoria - aka Posh Spice - may also visit, but it was unclear last night whether she would have time in the lead-up to the Spice Girls' tour early next year.

Stringent security concerns mean Beckham's precise itinerary remains a secret, but the 40-strong Galaxy party will be in Sydney for several days. At least one public appearance has been scheduled.

The deal negotiated by Football Federation Australia is entirely contingent on Beckham travelling with the Galaxy team to Australia and playing against Sydney FC on November 27 in what will be a massive showcase for the game in Australia.

The match will be shown live on free-to-air television, with an unnamed network, along with the New South Wales Government and Telstra Stadium, believed to have paid millions of dollars to secure the deal.

Acting NSW Premier John Watkins said the visit was a major coup for Sydney, which has struggled in recent years to attract major events.

"In the world of sports entertainment, there is no bigger name than David Beckham," Mr Watkins said.

Galaxy had designed an entire Asian tour, but the club cancelled those plans, meaning the trip to Sydney is now its only venture beyond the US.

Profits from the game are understood to be likely to be spent by FFA on the A-League as a whole.

Negotiations to secure the visit took weeks, complicated by three-way exchanges of documents between FFA headquarters in Sydney, Galaxy and Beckham's advisers in London.

FFA is likely to price tickets below the cost of attending an international match to encourage an 80,000 sell-out, and Sydney FC and Football Family members will get priority for tickets.

The event is timed to coincide with Sydney hosting the Asian Football Confederation's awards, when the bigwigs and officials of Australia's new football home will be in the Harbour City to see the city go crazy for the game.

Sydney FC chief executive George Perry was delighted Sydney would host the game.

"It's great for Sydney fans to see David and LA Galaxy live, and a great thrill for Sydney FC," he said.

The Galaxy fixture may presage trips to Australia by English Premier League teams, with negotiations already under way for potential games around Australia next year.

-----------------------------------------

This is great for Australia! If only it was in Melbourne. :P
Will any Sydney-siders be seeing this match?

Griffo

Chairman of Selectors
who cares!!! its soccer... but im sure the media will make a huge deal over it

Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors
I'll be watching this on Tuesday. There were heaps of media there I heard when he arrived.

w3lshrugby

Panel of Selectors
Doesn't really look that interesting, but, hopefully it will be. I'll watch it if I can find it online anywhere. It'll be interesting to see Aussie football! :D

2000th POST!

Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors
Sydney FC up 1-0 after 20 minutes. Juninho tap onto Brosque scores. Beckham has had a few touches so far. Ooo. And as I speak, Beckham has a good kick which is well stopped by Clint Bolton.

Brosque. 2-0

Guess what? Beckham is down and dead.

Sydney FC smashing this crap.

3-0

Bekcham directly in front. This is his territory.

BECKHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone who leaves can just be happy they saw a Beckham peaaaaarler!

3-1.

3-2. We have a game on our hands.

We need some more bending from Beckham.

Sydney 4-2.

Brosque could've gone for the hatty but passed it off.

Beckham! Here comes Beckham!

This time he doesn't score.

Oooo! Fireworks!

Big fireworks!

Why has he not been sent off?

Yellow? That's disgraceful. Deserves a red.

Well they both get yellows. And the LA guy has been sent off for 2 yellow cards.

Great crowd. All to see the one man.

Last edited:

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Sydney FC up 1-0 after 20 minutes. Juninho tap onto Brosque scores. Beckham has had a few touches so far. Ooo. And as I speak, Beckham has a good kick which is well stopped by Clint Bolton.

Brosque. 2-0

Guess what? Beckham is down and dead.

Sydney FC smashing this crap.

3-0

Bekcham directly in front. This is his territory.

BECKHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone who leaves can just be happy they saw a Beckham peaaaaarler!

3-1.

3-2. We have a game on our hands.

We need some more bending from Beckham.

Sydney 4-2.

Brosque could've gone for the hatty but passed it off.

Beckham! Here comes Beckham!

This time he doesn't score.

Oooo! Fireworks!

Big fireworks!

Why has he not been sent off?

Yellow? That's disgraceful. Deserves a red.

Well they both get yellows. And the LA guy has been sent off for 2 yellow cards.

Great crowd. All to see the one man.

If that is for the Sydney guy who pushed the Galaxy guy down then you obviously didn't see how he stepped on his arm, that is what provoked Biddle. (?) He had every right to go and deck him, a low act by the Galaxy player.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Deserved to be pushed that LA Galaxy player, like Leftie said, a low act on an exhibition match.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Anyway that was a good goal by Beckham, I was glad he got that free kick, I really wanted to see that.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Deserved to be pushed that LA Galaxy player, like Leftie said, a low act on an exhibition match.

It is a low act anywhere :rolleyes:

Would like it if someone stepped on your arm with metal studs? I think not.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah I know I wouldn't, thats why I said its a low act...
Well I meant a low act ecspecially in an exhibition match.

Users who are viewing this thread