The Big Show - Possible Test Star or T20 Money Grabber?

NoLeName

PlanetCricket Writing Team
Online Cricket Games Owned
Glenn Maxwell ? you either love him or you hate him. ?The Big Show? is a prime example of a player shaped by the modern game: he reverse sweeps as much as he cover drives, rushes through his overs as though he has dinner plans, and always plays with the flair of a shooting star. But is this the future of cricket? One where conservatism and patience is completely ignored in the face of speed and aggression?

Contrary to the views of apparent ?experts? from previous generations, Maxwell clearly has talent. The 25-year-old batting all-rounder averages over 40 with the bat in first class cricket despite the devastating rate at which he scores. His one-day record is even more impressive, averaging 36 with the bat at a strike rate a tick under 130. Add to that his T20 average of 25 at a strike rate of 160 and it?s little wonder he attracts so much media attention.

He is constantly criticised for his shot selection and lack of maturity in arduous situations, yet a minority would argue this logic is flawed. In a recent Sheffield Shield match for Victoria, Maxwell entered the crease with his team in the vulnerable position of six wickets for nine runs. He then proceeded to belt 127 off 102 balls as his team crawled to a total of 186. Maxwell?s best form of defence is attack. In times of adversity, you are always instructed to be yourself. Maxwell?s natural game is unique, but is that such a bad thing?

His newfound consistency in T20 cricket has been extremely entertaining to all followers of the game. It?s exciting to witness flashes of brilliance and sheer innovation. Maxwell has the talent to perform on the Test arena, but some would question whether he is up for the challenge. One only has to look at the transformation of David Warner to know it?s possible. But Warner has the orthodox cricket shots and rock-solid defence. Could Maxwell excel on the Test arena with his unorthodox instincts? He has to have the temperament and dedication to fine-tune his game, and the burning desire to do so.

Say he develops his consistency such that his aggressive and innovative nature leads to compelling results in first class cricket. Will his unorthodox style be beneficial or detrimental to Test cricket? Would the cricket world be comfortable with the reverse sweep being utilised more than the classical cover drive? Perhaps he is the first prototype of the future cricketer, one who does find the reverse sweep more comfortable than the cover drive. And this development is something the cricket world will have to become accustomed to. Whether it is liked or not, T20 cricket has led to the innovation we see in the modern game. Eventually this innovation will leak into Test cricket as well.

Maxwell?s an enigma, and one who will always receive criticism for the way in which he plays. His supreme confidence can drown out those negatives, but is he really developing into a world-class player? Only time will tell. His career will provide a guide to the future though, and one which we shall all watch shrouded in wonder.

ethybubs

International Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
We've seen it all before. Exciting players gain cult followings, and while it may be a nice thought that Glenn Maxwell could be a future legend of the game that separates the modern cricketer from the previous generation, the reality is that he is just another big hitter in a time when big hitters have a place to be kept, the IPL.

NoLeName

You certainly know your cricket! While I don't think he'll be considered a legend in the same vain of a WG Grace, Viv Richards etc., I do think he has the talent to perform well in all three formats. I also think we'll see more and more players just like Maxwell as time goes on, and hence am asking the question whether more players of the likes will be good or bad for the state of cricket.

Last edited:

ethybubs

International Cricketer
You certainly know your cricket! While I don't think he'll be considered a legend in the same vain of a WG Grace, Viv Richards etc., I do think he has the talent to perform well in all three formats. I also think we'll see more and more players just like Maxwell as time goes on, and hence am asking the question whether more players of the likes will be good or bad for the state of cricket.

I'll start by saying that in my opinion more players playing a similar style to Maxwell would be bad for the game. However my prediction is that over the next 5 or so years we will see a big change in the way cricket is played because more players will join the international stage with this style of play, from there the performances of players with this style will rely heavily on where cricket goes from there and we will see either: A) These cricketers become the most successful and most publicized and become the heroes for future generations, increasing the amount of cricket that is played in this style and cricketers that take on this style, and cricket followers like me will have to hope that from that future generation one or two of the best will have a slower and more technically orthodox manner in their batting and bowler to inspire the generation after theirs. Or B) these Maxwell type players will not manage to be the most successful in the world and while they may be the most exciting players when playing well they would seldom do so, therefore not encouraging children to want to adopt their style and this type of player would slowly die down, without ever completely vanishing.

NoLeName

Or B) these Maxwell type players will not manage to be the most successful in the world and while they may be the most exciting players when playing well they would seldom do so, therefore not encouraging children to want to adopt their style and this type of player would slowly die down, without ever completely vanishing.

Gotta hope for this option haven't we...

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
He seems to have that big match temperament and a knack for scoring runs like Warner and Smith before him. Seems better than most of the youngsters against spin too. That performance you mentioned was a standout, it was Hughes like back in the day.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I don't like him; purely because he calls himself "the big show" and that's the worst thing.

ChinamanSpin

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
It may be the clich?d view about him, but I don't feel he has the match awareness to make it big. He seems to play the same way when his side are 10/5 or 150/2. Sometimes it will come off, as soon in the IPL, but I don't feel he has a proper future at test level.

I was wrong about Warner and Smith though, so you never know.

grkrama

National Board President
nice read nolename.Cricket is always evolving, there was a time when leg glances to mid wicket had been frowned upon and considered unsportive but we cant imagine a game without them, likewise we wont like these reverse sweeps and switchhits,but the future fans will take it as a part of cricket and accept.
For good or bad the game will go through these changes and keep evolving whether we like it or not whether MAxwell succeeds or not what he has brought to the table wont vanish, even if he fails to make it big im sure somewhere some young cricketer is being influenced by him.

ethybubs

International Cricketer

Is this the shot you're talking about? because I wouldn't have described it as a leg glance.

Last edited by a moderator:

grkrama

National Board President
yup thats the one i think,
_38095816_leg_lance.gif

Front foot leg glance would be a better term i guess or is there some other term for it?

El Loco

PCPF Mod Chief Superintendent
ENG....
I've always called it an on-drive, just a very square one.

I don't think the flick of the wrists in a leg glance constitute it being a drive at all. I'd say, during a drive, the bat is swung through a vertical arc which is a totally different plane of movement. I don't think you'd be able to play the ball as square as can you with this shot if you decided to play a drive, would you?

At the moment Maxwell certainly does look the whole package. His ability to strike the ball and the innovation to make full use of the wagon wheel he shows looks second to none at the mo. Don't think he'll maintain this all season round though, must be hard to score a 50 in every single match, no doubt. Not sure, don't think he has proven that he might be one of a kind yet.

Users who are viewing this thread