The Book Thread

Highlander999

ICC President
Seeing as we have an Education Thread and a Music Thread, I thought I would create a book thread so that you can discuss books you are/have read. One point though. If someone says they are reading something please don't spoil the ending for them by posting what happens.

I have just finished reading War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells. I had been meaning to read this for a long time and was really surprised at the skill of the writing, if you take into context when it was written. Well worth a read no matter how old you are.

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
This thread is going to be as cool as the G-Unit.

Recently read The Godfather by Mario Puzo. Great book for hardcore readers. Although it took me ages you should consider reading it. Gives you an insight on 1940's New York life.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
0743267478.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Last book I read, A class read could barely put it down.

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
I'm not a big reader, generally because i wasn't "put," onto us at primary school so i never got in the habit. My family are big readers, but i always knew i'd be the black sheep ;)

I read a hell of a lot of mags, mostly sport, and the odd FHM.

The books i'll read are Harry Potter (Yes i'm 18 BUT i started from the first, so i had to read them to the last.) I quite like Dan Brown books, there are far better than Da Vinci Code from him!

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Was about to close this thread thinking we already had one on books then searched and realized we didn't! :eek:

I'm reading the following books at the moment, but haven't had the time to finish any of them :( :

Illuminatus: The Trilogy
The Kite Flyer
(tempted to just watch the movie)
The Grail Conspiracy
A Brief History of Time and Space

nightprowler10 added 0 Minutes and 49 Seconds later...

I quite like Dan Brown books, there are far better than Da Vinci Code from him!

Such as?

cric_craze

Club Cricketer
The Outsiders is a pretty good book and the book To Kill A Mocking Bird sucked. Holes is also a pretty good book

cric_craze added 0 Minutes and 54 Seconds later...

0743267478.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Last book I read, A class read could barely put it down.

wats that book about ??

Animator!

School Cricketer
Finished reading Al-Qaeda by Jason Burke and Companero, the life and times of Che Guevara by Jorge Castaneda. Just moved onto Young Stalin by Simon Sebag Montefiore. Very good so far. Interesting to find out about his childhood and what motivated him to such violent extremes, and his more early involvement in Bolshevik bank robberies etc.

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors

Angels and Demons is probably his best. Deception point was ok, but just a shade beneath A&D. His new book which is set to be released this year i believe should be a good one. Its called Solomon key or something.

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
Illuminatus: The Trilogy
The Kite Flyer[/I] (tempted to just watch the movie)
The Grail Conspiracy
A Brief History of Time and Space

Oooh, its Mister Sophisticated. ;)

They look far to sophisitcaed for my liking. I just the like the odd thriller or horror.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
wats that book about ??

www.thefreelibrary.com said:
The protagonist of this cleverly constructed novel is Ram Mohammed Thomas, an 18-year-old waiter from Mumbai. His name, a mixture of Hindu, Muslim, and Christian, connotes an Indian Everyman,but he has done something few people could hope to do: win 12 trivia questions on the quiz show Who Will Win a Billion? The dishonest show directors accuse him of cheating, and the corrupt police smack him into jail. Thomas tells his story to a sympathetic lawyer. Every question on the quiz reminds him of some incident that gave him a piece of esoteric knowledge. Along with the extraordinary coincidences, Thomas also relates the injustices and brutality he has encountered, including various graphically described forms of torture

Basically a poor indian man who has to answer 12 questions on a games show, He is being interrogated by a women - who turns out to be someone he met before - and he tells her how he knew the answer to each question. A must read!

Last edited:

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Angels and Demons is probably his best. Deception point was ok, but just a shade beneath A&D. His new book which is set to be released this year i believe should be a good one. Its called Solomon key or something.

I've read all of them, and I couldn't disagree with you more on A&D. It was good mind you. But compared to DVC, it was, as our old friend Ritwik used to say, written like a bad bollywood movie. Deception Point was utter crap IMO, though Digital Fortress was easily his best effort until DVC came out.

I've heard about Solomon Key. Apparently Robert Langdon will live on in that book which is exciting to say the least.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
sounds interesting Animator, about the book on Joseph Stalin.

I'm not reading any books now days, though I love to.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
The bible, please don't tell me if Jesus wins or not. Actually I've always wondered what happens at the end of the bible. does Jesus shoot the devil in an explosive action packed car chase or what?

Anyway I read Montys book straight after Steve Waughs which wasn't clever, Montys is rubbish. All about the £££s. My mum bought it though not me, I'm not that stupid, although I am looking forward to Alistair Cooks book about his long international career this year :D

Users who are viewing this thread