What is wrong with the BCCI ?

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I am expecting a lot many responses to this one. What is wrong with the BCCI ? Though I am picking up a few points from the local newspapers, thought it might be an interesting debate. Have mentioned a few of the stupid things that have occurred under the BCCI regime in the past few years.

* Ouster of Lalit Modi
* Not interested in T20 initially,now one of the powerhouses of the same
* Influencing a T20 domestic tournament in Sri Lanka
* DRS issue
* Frequent chopping and re-inducting of IPL franchisees- KXIP, RR, KTK were banned last year
* Battles with Sahara-sponsorship
* Telecast battles with ZEE, ESS and Nimbus
* Decline of Indian Test cricket

So,what exactly is wrong with the Indian cricket board that it has got itself embroiled in so many controversies.

This has also prompted Muralitharan to raise questions regd the IPL, the sheer volatility of the tournament which now would go on to instill fear in the minds of cricketers-as to whether or not they ought to take part in the same.

6ry4nj

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I don't blame the BCCI for the decline in India's Test fortunes/performances generally. And I thought getting rid of Modi was a really positive step (I could be wrong - I'm just saying that was my impression, and will continue to be until I hear substantial evidence to the contrary)

My main criticism of the BCCI is that it is funded by - and therefore does the bidding of - organized crime.

The other criticism stems from the first - they have let the power that comes with all that money go to their head. All power corrupts - unfortunately it is so nearly universally true as to be almost axiomatic.

The DRS dispute is just the most obvious symptom of this disease.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
One thing I would add is: Structure of the organisation and in particular Conflict of interests.

eg. Is not N Srinivasan both the BCCI chairman AND owner of India Cements who own Chennai Super Kings? That strikes me as dodgy. Especially when you've got something like an IPL auction the other day where CSK made a higher 'secret bid' to break the $2 million tie with Deccan Chargers for Jadeja. It could have been easy for Srinivasan to use his BCCI powers to make sure CSK made the higher secret bid, and perhaps just as easy to make sure they didn't have to pay it. Now I don't think that has happened, CSK have lost tie breaker bids before, but you can see how him having both positions can lead to trouble and suspicion.

Another is Kris Srikkanth who is the chief selector for India, but also had a role with CSK. (Does he still have that?)

The 2nd issue I'd point out is the venues in India. I'm sure I've read of Tests being played at poor venues and empty venues just to satisfy the power sharing deals that have been made in the BCCI boardroom. Instead of having 30 different venues, they should identify the best 5 or 10 and use those all the time.

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I tend to agree with Jason here. Although I'm a Mumbai Indians fan, i didnt liked the idea of bending the rules last season to allow 5 foreign players just for them :spy
Now when Pune were in a similar position cuz of Yuvi's cancer, they asked BCCI for either allowing them to replace Yuvi from another player of add the amount they bought Yuvi for to their bidding budget. Which sounds fair but BCCI refused to budge and said they can't bend the rules for one team :facepalm

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
OK so only days after I point out the conflict of interest between CSK and BCCI having the same owner/director we get this story:
IPL news: Andrew Flintoff's sale rigged at 2009 IPL auction - Lalit Modi | Cricket News | Indian Premier League 2012 | ESPN Cricinfo

Seems like before the auction Modi and Srinivasan worked out a way that Rajasthan Royals wouldn't be able to match the $2 mill that CSK were willing to pay for Flintoff.

Whether you believe Modi or not is another issue I guess, but this just SOUNDS true I'm afraid to say. It's incidents like these that might mean that the IPL won't last as long as BCCI hopes. It's started to leak sponsors and owners will be wary that the bigger, more important franchises like CSK are favoured.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I am believing Modi in this issue. You mostly get the truth only after you are dumped out of the organization about which you are accusing in public. I feel this N. Srinivasan guy is a thug (though I support the Chennai team as its my home state, I believe he might be a thug). I hope the guy is booted out of Indian cricket soon enough.

yashwanth kumar

Panel of Selectors
Prolific points raised by you , well done Sahil

* Ouster of Lalit Modi
* Not interested in T20 initially,now one of the powerhouses of the same
* Influencing a T20 domestic tournament in Sri Lanka
* DRS issue
* Frequent chopping and re-inducting of IPL franchisees- KXIP, RR, KTK were banned last year
* Battles with Sahara-sponsorship
* Telecast battles with ZEE, ESS and Nimbus
* Decline of Indian Test cricket

@ SaiSrini : :clap like the way you spoke , no mercy for any one who sins Respect your decision , not only him even in each cricket board they have built up a team and ruling each and every place , yup the have set up standards yet their money minds have made them to kneel down ....

* Ouster of Lalit Modi : Once when your out and humiliated for all the good you have done and your enemy is in a bad position your on to getting him to worst position , well what he did was a good thing now at least , i dont feel that even Mr.Modi is a good lad , he is the one who started to break the rules followed by the current members

* Not interested in T20 initially,now one of the powerhouses of the same : At the end of the day its stands @ how much you have earned right

* Influencing a T20 domestic tournament in Sri Lanka : Of course both these boards have a good understanding so no offence they did it and wantedly rejected when SCB wanted to add PAK players to their league since PCB and BCCI are just like water and oil which won't add up well

* DRS issue : when you wont like it you wont buy it

* Frequent chopping and re-inducting of IPL franchisees- KXIP, RR, KTK were banned last year : Just stand against your dad and start scolding him for doing wrong , guess what he'll do , dont take it personnel , the scenario is the same when it comes to Franchises VS BCCI

* Battles with Sahara-sponsorship : Its hard to find some one who pays 3-5 CR per ODI Test & T20 match , and that AMT for just putting up the name of the company in on the dress , what Sahara PVT did was a good thing according to me , once you have no respect , and your good talks are misused it always hurts.

* Telecast battles with ZEE, ESS and Nimbus : One who fill your pockets win's the race.

* Decline of Indian Test cricket : Just think back from now to a back time
How many matches did India play against SRI and SA ? , did they really deserved to be NO 1 when they won matches in a similar condition and i guess most of the test matches were fixed :facepalm

Users who are viewing this thread