Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I don't understand how chlortalidone, a drug used to treat hypertension, can enhance performance, especially considering he's a spinner.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
I don't understand how chlortalidone, a drug used to treat hypertension, can enhance performance, especially considering he's a spinner.

Apparently it is used to mask the use of performance enhancing drugs in tests.

bigred

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Shame this didn't happen a few months ago. I reckon the series in UAE could've been very different in his absence

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Shame this didn't happen a few months ago. I reckon the series in UAE could've been very different in his absence
You're underestimating our spin reserves.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Apparently it is used to mask the use of performance enhancing drugs in tests.
Chlorthalidone is a diuretic that is often used to treat high blood pressure. This drug does not improve athletic performance. It will not help to build muscles as the steroids do. This drug is sometimes used by athletes thinking that a slight reduction in body weight from loss of fluid will help them.
In the 2003 World Cup in South Africa Shane Warne was suspended for using a similar drug. Years ago in horse racing they used Butazolidine (similar to Aspirin) and Lasix, a diuretic were used before a race to get rid of fluids to reduce weight, and to relieve muscle pain caused by intensive training.
I believe that it is unfair to include this group of drugs as banned substances. ICC must review its policy on banned substances. Using a diuretic during a cricket match is like not drinking fluids. The immediate advantage of a slight reduction in weight is counteracted by alterations in fluid and electrolyte balance which will have a negative influence on performance.

bigred

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Not really. We almost won the first test and your spin looked awful. Anyway, if he's not playing in England this summer, I predict 4-0.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Not really. We almost won the first test and your spin looked awful. Anyway, if he's not playing in England this summer, I predict 4-0.
We were playing one spinner in that test, Babar. He probably won't tour England. If Zafar Gohar or Imad Wasim had been selected the result wouldn't have been very different i believe.
Also, even if Yasir plays it will still be 4-0, unless our batsmen really step up.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
Chlorthalidone is a diuretic that is often used to treat high blood pressure. This drug does not improve athletic performance. It will not help to build muscles as the steroids do. This drug is sometimes used by athletes thinking that a slight reduction in body weight from loss of fluid will help them.
In the 2003 World Cup in South Africa Shane Warne was suspended for using a similar drug. Years ago in horse racing they used Butazolidine (similar to Aspirin) and Lasix, a diuretic were used before a race to get rid of fluids to reduce weight, and to relieve muscle pain caused by intensive training.
I believe that it is unfair to include this group of drugs as banned substances. ICC must review its policy on banned substances. Using a diuretic during a cricket match is like not drinking fluids. The immediate advantage of a slight reduction in weight is counteracted by alterations in fluid and electrolyte balance which will have a negative influence on performance.

From what I've read up on it dilutes the traces of performance enhancing drugs in the players urine making it much less likely that they will be picked up in testing.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
From what I've read up on it dilutes the traces of performance enhancing drugs in the players urine making it much less likely that they will be picked up in testing.
As i said before, it's also used to reduce blood pressure and treat hypertension, so you can't be really sure whether he used it to hide some other drug or simply to treat high blood pressure or hypertension.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
As i said before, it's also used to reduce blood pressure and treat hypertension, so you can't be really sure whether he used it to hide some other drug or simply to treat high blood pressure or hypertension.

Hence why it's on an easily accessible banned list to the players. If he wants to risk using it without consulting anyone on the issue of it being banned then only the worst can be assumed. If he can't prove that he has a valid medical issue that he was using it to treat then I believe he faces a minimum of a 4 year ban.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Hence why it's on an easily accessible banned list to the players. If he wants to risk using it without consulting anyone on the issue of it being banned then only the worst can be assumed. If he can't prove that he has a valid medical issue that he was using it to treat then I believe he faces a minimum of a 4 year ban.
Maximum 4 years' ban.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
Maximum 4 years' ban.

I believe WADA have put in place a 4 year minimum for first offences with no medical reasoning now :

"Drug cheats will face a minimum four-year ban instead of two years after rule changes ratified by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), which has also elected Britain's Sir Craig Reedie as its new president.

The change to the sanctions, effective from January 2015..."

Drug cheats to face minimum four-year bans as WADA look to clamp down on illegal substances | Daily Mail Online

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I believe WADA have put in place a 4 year minimum for first offences with no medical reasoning now :

"Drug cheats will face a minimum four-year ban instead of two years after rule changes ratified by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), which has also elected Britain's Sir Craig Reedie as its new president.

The change to the sanctions, effective from January 2015..."

Drug cheats to face minimum four-year bans as WADA look to clamp down on illegal substances | Daily Mail Online
Kusal Perera faces four-year ban after B sample tests positive | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
The ICC is yet to comment on the matter considering it is an ongoing disciplinary process. Although no official penalty has been announced yet Perera can be suspended for a maximum of 4 years .

Users who are viewing this thread