Zimbabwe Domestic Cricket

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
The Tuskers really need to recognise Glen Querl's batting ability and give him a stint in the top six. That's the second or third time this month he's saved them with the bat. Couple that with him being a very skilful bowler, I'd argue that he should represent Zimbabwe.

CremerCurrans

ICC Chairman
SA.....
ZIM...
Profile Flag
Zimbabwe
The Tuskers batting is the strongest in the franchise competition, so it's been a worry; Querl shouldn't have to be saving them. :p

He was meant to play in the Zimbabwe A matches last year, but he was off playing with the Unicorns and wasn't able to get back. He should be selected for the West Indies tour. :)

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
Domestic T20 Competition, 2012'13: Eagles remain unbeaten! They thumped Tuskers in a highscoring game.
Chibhabha scores 78 for Eagles while Ewing smashed 72 for Tuskers. Raza, Chigumbura, Waller, Craig Ervine all failed! Even the likes of Ray Price got the thrashing at almost 12 runs an over. He is almost 37 now and I guess its the end of the road for him. Sean Ervine, who bowled good in this high scoring match was heartening to see. I hope he understands that he will never be picked for England. He can better give his services to his home country.

Fenil

It's good that you're updating the Zimbabwe thread. :)

I do follow almost every country's domestic competitions every now and then but just don't get enough response from others for discussions on the domestic talents and hence not post it too often. Btw, Glenn Querl is one guy I'm really looking forward to seeing in Zimbabwean colors. He has some problem with his action and I hope he sorts it soon.

Fenil

Domestic Twenty20 Competition 2012-13: Its Eagles vs Mountaineers final after washouts.

Aislabie

Ireland
The Tuskers really need to recognise Glen Querl's batting ability and give him a stint in the top six. That's the second or third time this month he's saved them with the bat. Couple that with him being a very skilful bowler, I'd argue that he should represent Zimbabwe.

Close enough - number seven and an unbeaten half century.

Also, two wickets. The guy's a machine.

CremerCurrans

ICC Chairman
SA.....
ZIM...
Profile Flag
Zimbabwe
Close enough - number seven and an unbeaten half century.

Also, two wickets. The guy's a machine.

Streak has said that he has a problem with his action; Unfortunately Zimbabwe cricket doesn't have the funds to pay for testing. I'm guessing Zimbabwe cricket aren't willing to risk him at International level until he's been tested. So nothing is going to happen, unless the ICC or someone over in England tests him, while he's playing county cricket, or for the Unicorns. :(

Aislabie

Ireland
Streak has said that he has a problem with his action; Unfortunately Zimbabwe cricket doesn't have the funds to pay for testing. I'm guessing Zimbabwe cricket aren't willing to risk him at International level until he's been tested. So nothing is going to happen, unless the ICC or someone over in England tests him, while he's playing county cricket, or for the Unicorns. :(
Andrew Ellis clearly has action problems, but he's still playing for the Kiwis.

Although that's a little different, everyone's queuing up to face him.

Aislabie

Ireland
I truly fear for Zimbabwe. There's such a dearth of class in that side that I don't see them being competetive for quite a while. Even Jarvis and Vitori, who a year ago were The Answers To All The World's Problems are now looking ropey and mediocre. Mpofu and Utseya look like the pick of the attack at the mo, while Querl (action be damned), Meth, Price and Cremer all stay at home despite dominating the Logan Cup. Similarly, the batting looks poor, Chibhabha and Chakabva have showed no signs of getting runs, and nobody can seem to fill the gap left by Tatenda Taibu behind the stumps.

So where do you even start?

Perhaps by picking a young player as a project, someone along the lines of Malcolm Lake, who could develop by being in and around the atmosphere of the squad and possibly the playing XI.

Perhaps by showing faith in Waller and Ervine who appear to be the only batsmen of real class, and a little less faith in Regis Chakabva who has scored few or no runs for the national side.

Perhaps by imparting in Brendan Taylor's head how important his role is as both the captain and star player, and discouraging him from playing brain-dead reverse sweeps third ball.

But most of all by inviting Ireland over for a tour and playing more Associate teams. Let's face it, Zimbabwe are nearer the Associates than the other Full Members.

CremerCurrans

ICC Chairman
SA.....
ZIM...
Profile Flag
Zimbabwe
I truly fear for Zimbabwe. There's such a dearth of class in that side that I don't see them being competetive for quite a while. Even Jarvis and Vitori, who a year ago were The Answers To All The World's Problems are now looking ropey and mediocre. Mpofu and Utseya look like the pick of the attack at the mo, while Querl (action be damned), Meth, Price and Cremer all stay at home despite dominating the Logan Cup. Similarly, the batting looks poor, Chibhabha and Chakabva have showed no signs of getting runs, and nobody can seem to fill the gap left by Tatenda Taibu behind the stumps.

So where do you even start?

Perhaps by picking a young player as a project, someone along the lines of Malcolm Lake, who could develop by being in and around the atmosphere of the squad and possibly the playing XI.

Perhaps by showing faith in Waller and Ervine who appear to be the only batsmen of real class, and a little less faith in Regis Chakabva who has scored few or no runs for the national side.

Perhaps by imparting in Brendan Taylor's head how important his role is as both the captain and star player, and discouraging him from playing brain-dead reverse sweeps third ball.

But most of all by inviting Ireland over for a tour and playing more Associate teams. Let's face it, Zimbabwe are nearer the Associates than the other Full Members.

The problem Zimbabwe have is they have no money, we only have a few sponsors. The players get paid next to nothing, they are basically just playing for the love of the game. So if there is opportunities else-where they go. Anthony Ireland has moved from Middlesex to Leicestershire, I can't see Ballance coming back after playing for the England Lions. At least Sean Ervine comes back to play in the local competition.

Malcolm Lake is reportedly planning a move to England to study and play cricket, so he might be gone too. :(

We seem to be losing senior players in the domestic comp as well: Duffin retired recently, to go to a full-time job. Greg Lamb is retiring at the end of the season, and Ewing is having heart problems, so could leave at any time.

Zimbabwe are always going to have problems until the political & financial problems end. Which may never. :(

I think it would be great if we toured Ireland or if they came to Zimbabwe. The ICC need to support these matches, to strengthen the game.

After the West Indies tour, we come home for a series against Bangladesh & Pakistan, so at least we are playing cricket again. We played very little cricket last year. :/

Aislabie

Ireland
The problem Zimbabwe have is they have no money, we only have a few sponsors. The players get paid next to nothing, they are basically just playing for the love of the game. So if there is opportunities else-where they go. Anthony Ireland has moved from Middlesex to Leicestershire, I can't see Ballance coming back after playing for the England Lions. At least Sean Ervine comes back to play in the local competition.

Malcolm Lake is reportedly planning a move to England to study and play cricket, so he might be gone too. :(

We seem to be losing senior players in the domestic comp as well: Duffin retired recently, to go to a full-time job. Greg Lamb is retiring at the end of the season, and Ewing is having heart problems, so could leave at any time.

Zimbabwe are always going to have problems until the political & financial problems end. Which may never. :(

I think it would be great if we toured Ireland or if they came to Zimbabwe. The ICC need to support these matches, to strengthen the game.

After the West Indies tour, we come home for a series against Bangladesh & Pakistan, so at least we are playing cricket again. We played very little cricket last year. :/

Very true, and I understand the problem. You could have such a strong side if you could afford to pay them all. And I'm sure Tatenda might have made God wait a few years if the price war right.

Vusi Sibanda
Brendan Taylor
Gary Ballance
Craig Ervine
Tatenda Taibu :c: :wk:
Sean Ervine
Malcolm Waller / Colin de Grandhomme (T20)
-
-
-
Anthony Ireland

The trouble would still be filling those three bowling spots. Unfortunately, such a fantasy world does not exist, and only four of those players are available for selection. A big title sponsor for five years could really change the landscape of Zimbabwean cricket, otherwise I can't see them clinging onto Test status.

What a mess.

CremerCurrans

ICC Chairman
SA.....
ZIM...
Profile Flag
Zimbabwe
Vusi Sibanda
Brendan Taylor :c:
Gary Ballance
Craig Ervine
Tatenda Taibu :wk:
Sean Ervine
Malcolm Waller / Colin de Grandhomme (T20)
Elton Chigumbura
Graeme Cremer / Ray Price
Chris Mpofu

Anthony Ireland / Shingi Masakadza

I'd put those players in the gap, they are all experienced players. That know their game pretty well now. I'd pick Shingi ahead of Ireland, not sure if Anthony is up to International standards at the moment. Struggled at Middlesex last season, was surprised when Leicestershire signed him. :)

You know a fair amount about Zimbabwe, it's good to talk about Zimbabwe over here. Even if it's usually depressing. :p

----------

I like when Taylor opens the batting, usually has more success. Has had to move to the middle order, due to our middle order being prone to collapses, and him having to take the gloves. Seems to have more success opening the batting.

CremerCurrans

ICC Chairman
SA.....
ZIM...
Profile Flag
Zimbabwe
This is probably Zimbabwe's best teams at the moment, without the missing players:

ODI / T20I:

Vusi Sibanda
Brendan Taylor :c: :wk:
Hamilton Masakadza
Craig Ervine
Malcolm Waller
Sean Williams
Elton Chigumbura
Graeme Cremer
Shingi Masakadza
Ray Price / Natsai Mushangwe / Tinotenda Mutombodzi
Chris Mpofu

Test:

Vusi Sibanda
Tino Mawoyo
Hamilton Masakadza
Brendan Taylor :c:
Craig Ervine / Sean Williams
Malcolm Waller / Timycen Maruma / Forster Mutizwa
Regis Chakabva / Richmond Mutumbami :wk:
Elton Chigumbura / Keegan Meth
Graeme Cremer / Kyle Jarvis
Ray Price
Chris Mpofu / Ed Rainsford

Edit: Thought I'd include replacements, to show who would come in if certain players are out-of-form. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread