Boy with rare genetic disorder

usy

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7354140.stm

Three-year old Liam Smyth suffers from a rare genetic disorder called Majewski osteodysplastic primordial dwarfism type II (MOPD2) which means he will never 'grow up'.
His parents are campaigning for more research into it.

aww, he's so cute.. I wish Liam and his parents best of luck.

That brough tears to my eyes. Poor kid I feel well sorry for him.

Hold on, he'll be able to grow up with his speech and everything, just not with his size?

It’s sad.
Generally ratio for this disease is 1:4millions.
So Out of 4 millions Child one would face it. And sadly he is the one.
It will be tough for him to live with it. Firstly Hope so He won't get any renal anomalies which is very likely with this disease.
It is because of Fetal Growth Retardation (when Fetus was in Mother's uterus) either due to less blood supply or due to nutrient defect.
Anyway if he will go to any Asian Countries or Africa then He can try for treatment with Steroids and GH.
It is illegal in US,Uk and everywhere so..
Hope for Best.

Hold on, he'll be able to grow up with his speech and everything, just not with his size?

In fact there are more problems which he can get after being 13 or younger.
Like Dental Problems, Kidney Problems, Stature problem, even rupture of blood vessels in Brain also can occur which can lead to death.
It would not be so easy. There are so much problem except size like hormonal disbalance means He can get early puberty where his secondary sexual functions get activated even at the age of 8 or 9..

Last edited:
There was a programme on primordial dwarfs on channel 4 a while back you might be able to find it online some place, it was a really good programme and highlighted that theirs lives dont have to be as bad as you'd imagine.

This stuff just shows, that we should be greatfull that we don't have any serious problems, thats what I think anyway.

I've worked with a child with this disorder. He was 18 but had the body of a 7 year old. Scary stuff.

Actually you know If this Child would have only Dwarfism which we generally see around population then he would have no problem except size.

Normally Dwarfism is depending on GH-Growth Hormone from Pituitary Gland.
Excess of GH cause GIGANTISM-which is also normal in surrounding.
And Deficiency of GH cause DWARFISM-which should not harm any of Vital organs or system of Body.

But in MOPD2 it is not all about Deficiency of GH or Dwarfism but It increases the Chance of Kidney disease and nervous system disorders.
Once should always take care for this Child.
Normal Head trauma (which we can get during playing or else) can lead to death in this Child.
Main Problem is medically there is no treatment for this but Certain of Drugs which is not allowed in most of countries is useful in this case.
It is very costly and not so kind for Child.:(

*GH is a Big thing for Physical development. Our all sex hormones depend on GH*

Actually you know If this Child would have only Dwarfism which we generally see around population then he would have no problem except size.

Normally Dwarfism is depending on GH-Growth Hormone from Pituitary Gland.
Excess of GH cause GIGANTISM-which is also normal in surrounding.
And Deficiency of GH cause DWARFISM-which should not harm any of Vital organs or system of Body.

But in MOPD2 it is not all about Deficiency of GH or Dwarfism but It increases the Chance of Kidney disease and nervous system disorders.
Once should always take care for this Child.
Normal Head trauma (which we can get during playing or else) can lead to death in this Child.
Main Problem is medically there is no treatment for this but Certain of Drugs which is not allowed in most of countries is useful in this case.
It is very costly and not so kind for Child.:(

*GH is a Big thing for Physical development. Our all sex hormones depend on GH*

Why did you quote Colin on that.....:what

Gosh!
Because I am feeling that Colins has worked with the Child which was affected by Dwarfism.
Because there is a huge difference between Dwarfism and MOPD2.
I was just trying to spread some information.
Anyway Are you lawyer of Colins?:rolleyes:

No I was just baffled why you quoted him all he said was

"I've worked with a child with this disorder. He was 18 but had the body of a 7 year old. Scary stuff."

No big deal anyway no need to cry ;)

If I were his parents i'd paint him orange and colour his hair green, the endless fun you could have with that.

(i'm joking- but it would be fun though)

Last edited:
If I were his parents i'd paint him orange and colour his hair green, the endless fun you could have with that.

(i'm joking- but it would be fun though)

it's not even funny.

You have broken the law by discriminating someone.

it's not even funny.

You have broken the law by discriminating someone.

:D

Contradictor alert! It was only a joke, although in poor taste, I am sure Dan didn't mean it as an offence to the kid. I do hope he has a 'normal' life, whatever that is, and I am sure he will.

Users who are viewing this thread