Droylsden FC V Gretna FC now up - Can the revolution Continue?

DPRA

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Untitled-10.jpg

Everyone’s favourite manager is back! Lee Sweetman retired from football 2 weeks ago, but he has already decided to take up one last job, and that will be with his beloved Droylsden FC.

Lee had this statement: “I decided to call it a day 2 weeks ago, but a week ago I was approached by Droylsden chairman Dave Pace who announced to me that he was going to be stepping down within the next week, he stated that as he knew I was a keen supporter of the club when I was a kid he knew that I would be honoured to Manager Droylsden, and that I am. He did well did ‘Pacey’, but everyday some one has got to call it a day, and today was ‘Pacey’s’ day.”

Dave Pace leaves Droylsden with a great CV of Managerial success, in 2006-2007 he guided the team to the Blue Square Premier (formally the National Conference) for the first time in there 117 year history, sadly, they couldn’t stay up and we relegated at the end of the season with only 5 wins to there name, the most memorable has to be the 3-1 Victory over Oxford United that was live on Setanta, also the 4-2 drubbing of High flying Forest Green Rovers, however despite pulling off so many ‘should have been a win’s’ and finishing 19 points away from safety, there fate was just a matter of time, and with 8 games in the Blue Square Premier season to go, they were relegated. The bloods then went on to record there most successful run of the season, and in those last 8 games they managed to pick up a respectable 9 points (including draws against Exeter City who went on to be Promoted via the play offs, and a 2-2 draw against the eventual winners Aldershot Town, the run also included the only away win of the season at also already doomed Farsley Celtic, who they beat 2-1. However, the fans are full of hope for the up and coming season, and with a new manager at the head of the Droylsden attack, and also 22 new faces, this could well be another successful era for Droylsden FC and Lee Sweetman.

5100035-1.png

Goal Keepers

DannyPotter.jpg

Danny Potter

AnthonyWilliams.jpg

Anthony Williams

Defenders

WayneHatswell.jpg

Wayne Hatswell

WikeMilliams.jpg

Mike Willliams

SimonSpender.jpg

Simon Spender

GarySilk.jpg

Gary Silk

Andrew Smart (No Picture Avaliable)

CarlRegan.jpg

Carl Regan

SteveHaslam.jpg

Steve Haslam

Andy Parrish (No Picture Avaliable)

MikeWilliamson.jpg

Mike Williamson

Midfielders

MarkBeesley.jpg

Mark Beesley

MarkJones.jpg

Mark Jones

MattSomner.jpg

Matt Somner

BrianBarry-Murphy.jpg

Brian Barry-Murphy

DaleTonge.jpg

Dale Tonge

JamiePitman.jpg

Jamie Pitman

IanCraney.jpg

Ian Craney

NickHegarty.jpg

Nick Hegarty

Strikers

AaronBurns.jpg

Aaron Burns

StuartFleetwood.jpg

Stuart Fleetwood

Micheal Adaggio (No Picture Avaliable)

RoryFallon.jpg

Rory Fallon

The pressure will be on Lee Sweetman to get Droylsden back swiftly to the conference. Droylsden have announced that the Pre Season fixtures will be announced soon.

Last edited:
Untitled-10.jpg

The road to League 2 Begins today...

Today is the day all Football fans have been waiting for, like a little kid waiting for Christmas or the tooth fairy, yes, its Fixture day. The opening season of the Blue Square Premier was a stunnig one at that, and Im sure its going to be the same again. However, this season more focus will be on the Blue Sqaure North as internet form Planetcricket have announced that they are going to be putting £20 Million pounds into Lee Sweetman's Droylsden to keep them afloat after rumours of them going into Administration, therefore, Planetcricket will get a detailed Blue Square North update sent to them everyweekend.

Well, the time is here now, it's our plesure to give you the opening weekends fixtures in the Blue Square North...

Kick off 3.00pm Unless Stated

Alfreton v Blyth Spartans
Droylsden v Vauxhall Motors
Farsley Celtic v Gainsborough
FC United v Hucknall
Harrogate Town v Hyde United
Hinckley v Redditch United
Southport v Burscough
Stafford v Solihull Moors
Stalybridge v Gateshead
Tamworth v Fleetwood Town
Workington v AFC Telford.

Review of the fixtures:

Well, there are some really decent looking fixtures in week one, and one example of that is Harrogate Town v Hyde United, both had good runs last year, but Waywell's Hyde fell 3 points short of the play offs, however, Harrogate got there, only to be beaten by the eventual winners Barrow Town 3-1 on Agg. Droylsden have what should be an easy game at the Butchers Arms against Vauxhall Motors who have finished mid table for the past 7 seasons, they need a big year this year, however, we just can't see it happening. New Boys FC United start off at home to Hucknall, that could well be a firecracker and a big crowd Will be there indeed. Other new teams include Gateshead who have the hardest game of the season 1st up, a trip to Droylsden's bitter rivals Stalybridge Celtic who were beaten 1-0 in last season's Play off final. Fleetwood Town are away at Tamworth who will be looking to get better than 7th last season. Recently relegated Farsley have got Gainsborough at home, and Stafford are at home to Sollihull Moors.

Within the last few minutes Droylsden have also announced there pre season fixtures and they are as follows:

AFC Wimbledon - Away - 14.07.2007
Ayr- Away - 21.07.2007 - Tour of Scotland
Gretna - Away - 24.07.2007 - Tour of Scotland
Raith - Away - 28.07.2007 - Tour of Scotland

The first batch of Fixtures for the Blue Square Premier have also been released, here they are:

Kick off 3.00pm Unless Stated:

Altrincham v Stevenage
Cambridge v Crawley
Eastbourne Boro v Grays
Forest Green Rovers v Kettering
Kidderminster v Salisbury
Mansfield v Northwich Victoria
Oxford v Wrexham
Rushden v Lewes
Torquay v Histon
Weymouth v Ebbsfleet
Woking v Burton
York v Barrow

Last edited:
AFC Wimbledon Line Up:

K Connelly
C Hussey
J Leberi
J Goodliffe
M Beard
A Finn
R Quinn
S Hatton
L Garrard
J Main
D Webb

(Normal 4-4-2 Formation)

Droylsden FC Line Up:

D Potter
M Williams
W Hatswell
M Williamson
S Haslam
N Hegarty
I Craney
M Beesley
D Tonge
R Fallon
A Burns

(Normal 4-4-2 formation, Attacking)

From the Changing room to the Pitch? A managers view of the game. By Lee Sweetman.

We headed down south for what should be a good entertaining game, I scouted out AFC Wimbledon last season as they were rumoured to be offering me a job, so I checked them out, and they were not a bad side at all. They had pace, skill and a bit of show boating about them, so I knew it would be a good challenge for my team, We got to the ground at 1 o?clock, 2 hours before kick off, and the players were like kids round presents, they went straight to the changing room, took there trainers off and got straight out onto the pitch, I was gobsmacked because I didn?t even say a thing to them, they just started anyway, I have a feeling I am going to work well with these. I watched the players, and I already had a rough idea of who was going to start, but I had changed my mind come half two as the players I was going to put in the Starting XI looked like birds in water, they just didn?t look interested. The boys were really fired up come five to 2, and when we got out, the atmosphere was amazing! A crowd of 2,700 greeted us with cheers and chants, and the loyal Droylsden fan?s had come all the way down south for a friendly, now that?s dedication! I over heard a steward say that we brought down 980 fans, which is stunning for a friendly! But I heard that most of them come down for the weekend as Wimbledon has a reputation for good beer and ladies ;) I might try that after the game, and see if its true . I really was overwhelmed at how many fans had come down to watch us. So, I told the boys to do them proud.

They all seemed fired up as the whistle went for kick off and the boys were like Greyhounds out of starting blocks, within a minute, we had a first corner of the game in front of the Bloods fans, Carey forced the keeper into a good finger tip save over the top, the ball was swung in by Burns, however, it was headed clear and the attack was defused. Wimbledon immediately gave it us back, and this time we took control, Carey took a dazzing run past 4 players, and hit the ball into the top corner from 25 yards out to send the fans into frenzied singing! We had a dream start, 3 mins and 1-0 up.

The first half was much the same, and Aaron Burns brought up his hattrick in 9 minutes, the fastest ever hat-trick in Non League. He scored on 23,27 and 32 Minutes, he wasn?t finished there, and scored 2 more times before half time. Also, Dale Tonge scored a goal before halftime, so we went in Half Time at 6-0. I was very disappointed with the game, I was looking forward to a very close game, but instead it was a trouncing, and we hadn?t even reached Half time.

The boy?s come out in the second half looking to capatalize and win in the most destructive fashion possible, Tommy Hutchings scored 2 times in 11 minutes to give us a bit of a game on our hands, but Burns wrapped it up in the 74th and 77th minute, as we took an 8-2 lead, and we managed to get to full time with that scorline.

A thumping win.

Attachments

• AFC Wimbledon v Droylsden.jpg
    AFC Wimbledon v Droylsden.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 305
Yay it's back! Lee, what database are you using and go LSRA

Yay it's back! Lee, what database are you using and go LSRA

I am using one I made. I sorted it out with promotions and relegations (Droylsden, Stafford and Farsley down to conference North and Aldershot and Exeter to league 2) Also, we have still got all the old players from last season, (Apart from Aaron Burns who is actually at our club in real life) so I removed all the players, (in real life we actually still have Lee Roche, Adam Dugdale, Shaun Newton and Colin Cryan, but I started fresh) and I have Started the game, and gone to Conference & League 2 sides and brought players.

And before anyone asks, I haven't changed the reputation level either, as that would be cheating. Nextu update will be today Lads :).

After last weeks crushing victory over AFC Wimbledon, the lads were in high confidence, and we stepped onto the coach to Ayr, I knew it was going to be a ?unique? ride up North. The lads are a right set of clowns some times, setting practical jokes here there and everywhere, and only an hour into it, we seen the first thing. Burnsy was asleep (he said he had a late night and to leave it to our imagination) and he fell asleep, so, as one of the players had a marker pen, they decided to lift his shirt and draw all over his chest, they also got some chilli water in a water gun (don?t ask, I really don?t know where they got it from!) and they squited it into his face, he soon woke up! I was on edge after 3 hours, we were only up to Carlislie and we were still 5 hours away from Ayr, I wanted to sleep, but with there not being a practical joke played for 2 hours, I knew they were looking for the next victim, and they got him, It was Williams, the young lad. He was starting to fall asleep, and the next mintue one of the guys, I think it was Fleetwood, pulled out a Trumpet!! I just looked at him and laughed, they bring allsorts on away trips, Stuart waited until Williams was fast asleep and he went on to place the trumpet next to his head and play a nice little tune, Williams woke up straight away and threatened to get Stuart.

We stopped off about 2 hours away from Ayr for a service stop, and I could tell the lads were getting annoyed and wanted to get they, so some of them (Im not going to name them!) decided they wanted a Burger King (fat players!) so, I Just lauged at them when they got back on and I said to them: ?I hope your going to so some weight training on the way up to burn off the fat!? They soon stopped eating! Ha ha. We got to Ayr at 4.00pm on the Friday night, and most of us just wanted to get some training in, so I took the guys to a local five a side pitch as Ayr refused to let practise on the proper pitch until the day of the game, we walked on in our training kit and the kids just stopped and looked at me and said ?Are you the team that We are playing tomorrow?? I replied ?Yes, that?s right, we are the mighty Droylsden FC? I asked them could we possibly use the pitch to train and the kids said no! Unless they get signed shirts from all of us! So I walked the 10 mins back to the bus, and I managed to find a spare shirt of Smithy who left us, from last season, so I got all the lads to sign it and give it to the kids, I don?t know who got it, but Im sure they were fighting over it!

Saturday 21.07.2007

Game day! And we started our pre-season tour of Scotland, and the weather is horrible! I openened the hotel curtains and all I can see is mighty heavy rain! The players said how hard it was up north to play in the rain, and It was that heavy I thought it might be called off, so I rang Ayr and they said they had the pitch covered up fully, so it would be on, We got there and the pitch was heavily saturdated, because it was that wet, the staff thought it would cut up horribly, so they told both teams that they would not be allowed to train on the pitch before the game, so we had to do a light warm up in the changing rooms! I couldn?t believe our luck, then, when we started training the sun came out and blue skies appeared!

Droylsden FC Starting XI:

A Williams
G Silk
M Somner
A Parrish
C Regan
A Smart
J Pitman
B Barry-Murphy
M Jones
M Adaggio
S Fleetwood

The kick off was approaching and I told the lads to go out and just be confident, it was only a friendly, so there wasn?t really a lot hanging on it, they just had to go out and show we what they had got, I was looking for the right players to start the season. We had brought 400 fans down which I was really pleased with, and the lads looked pretty happy aswell. Ayr are in the Scottish Second division, and looked dangerous last year, missing out on promotion by 1 point.

When the game started we looked very well, Fleetwood and Adaggio went close and tested the keeper, but what we didn?t want to happen, happened on the 10th Minute, a long ball forward from Ayr looked as if it was going to Matt Somner, but the ball skidded along the surface and past him, Roberts just ran onto it and beat the keeper, we were 1-0 down after 10 minutes. We battled well for the rest of the second half, we created a few chances and hit the post once, but on the 31st minute, Roberts again cushed us, he beat 2 men, and scored from 20 yards out to make it 2-0 to Ayr, Disaster. We again went on the counter attack, but it didn?t work out, and 7 minutes later Faulds scored with a 25 yard volley, hit pulled it out of no where and we were shattered. We were given a life line a Minute later as Fleetwood was one on one after a great ball from Somner, and he rounded the keeper and put it into the back of the net, 3-1 at Half time, we had a lot to do from there.

The second half started and I told that lads to go all out attack to pull one back and then attack again to get the second. But, that went out the window on 47 minutes, Kenny McLauchlan played a wonderful ball behind our back line, it was flicked on to him again and then he managed to make it 4-1 and we looked dead and buried, but, I decided to bring Burns and Fallon on to add a bit to the attack, and only 11 minutes later we got what we were after, Jamie Pitman swung the corner in and Fallon beat everyone to the ball and headed it home, 4-2, could we pull it back? We kept going forward and on the 74th Minute Aaron Burns scored a beautiful free kick from 20 yards to get his 7th goal in 2 games, and we were right back in it! 4-3. We just kept going forward, but Ayr kept 10 men behind the ball at all times and we were forced to shoot from range and it didn?t work out, they held on for a win, and we were all gutted, we did so well to pull it back to 4-3, but we just couldn?t get that last goal.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 96
Ah! So close yet so far. You did well to come from 3-0 to 3-1 but then when they went 4-1 ahead it just wasn't looking your day. 4-3 was a good return from your boys though, just couldn't get one more to snatch a draw.

Great writing and update Lee, loving the story very much. :)

The lads were still a bit down that they didn?t manage to beat Ayr, but I told them not to matter, it was only a pre-season and the early signs of the team were good, We were scoring the goals, but the problem is that we seemed to be conceding a few too many shots which I wasn?t really that happy about, but we can change that. We were still looking for our first win in pre season as we made the short 1 hour journey across to SPL side Gretna, if we found it hard against Ayr we knew it was going to be a lot harder against Grenta. Even though Gretna have had a few problems with Money, they were still extremely dangerous, and we knew they had talent!

We arrived at the ground a little earlier than I expected, and we were looking to get a bit more training in before the game, and with this extra half an hour we did, and I was hoping it would pay off big time during the game, the lads really did put the effort in and I could tell they wanted to win this game big time.

--

Come 3 o?clock, the nerves were jangling, could I finally manage to get us our first win in the pre season, or will we have to do with a draw or even worse, a loss? Within 2 minutes we found out it was going to be hard not to lose, as Potter was tested with a very fierce 30 yard shot from a Gretna player.

We managed to get to 27 minutes without going behind, and then much to my delight, we managed to score! Aaron was put through with a great ball from Pitman, and as the keeper came out, he just chipped the ball over him and into the net! I went mental! Things just got better from there on, Aaron got his second only 3 minutes later and he scored a great curling shot from the edge of the area, 2-0 up after 30 mintes. We got to half time and I couldn?t have been happier, we were 2-0 up at an SPL side! And we are a part time team from the Blue Square North! :laugh

I told the lads to just go out and enjoy them selves in the second half and we found ourselves at 2-2 with only 5 minutes gone in the second half, some poor defending allowed Gretna to score 2 goals in 4 Mins. Things got even worse 4 mins later when we found ourselves 3-2 down, and staring defeat in the eyes again. Fallon scored on 57 mins to give us a bit of confidence, and we then just had to push, and in the 67th min Aaron got his hattrick and our 4th! We managed to hold on for a great 4-3 Victory. The lads were over the moon! :cheers

Attachments

• sam.jpg
    sam.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 52

Users who are viewing this thread