10 Greatest One Day Centuries of all time (Multiple selection Options plus Reader's Choice Category)

robin2855

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
In this write up I have included as a bonus: Innings summary which to some great extent will explain why those innings had been extraordinary and stands out from the rest.

The criteria of selection.

Quality of the Innings - Brilliant batting display: Ability to Cut, Pull, Hook, Drive, scoop with absolute precision and timing.

Quality of opposition.

Situation in which the century was made ( Ex World Cup final)

Circumstances in which the century was made : EX Lifting the team from a from a precarious position to a winning position.

Ability to dominate and destroy all type of Opposition bowlers

High Strike rate

Huge number of fours and sixes

Rising to the occasion and getting the better of opposition with a fearless approach despite being unaccustomed to opponent’s superior Quality of bowling.

Their has been tonnes of memorable century knocks in one day cricket.

It is impossible to accommodate everyone on the 10 Best of All time . It is very likely I may have missed many good ones.

So may I request to the readers not to take it personally if their favorite ones have been left out.

As a compromise I have included a Special Reader’s Choice Category where a reader’s genuine case will be considered and added to acknowledge their input.

Also a new option 2 is available for selection where readers can actually have two sets of selection as explained below;

A - Primary Selection of 10 .

B - Secondary Selection of 10.

By virtue of this flexible Option I hope most of the reader’s favorites will be accommodated.

Here’s my Selection.

1. Adam C Gilchrist

Innings Summary : (Runs:149, Balls :104, 4S: 13 , 6S:8 , SR: 143.26- upd)

2. Clive Lloyd

Innings Summary : (Runs:102, Balls :85, 4S: 12 , 6S:2 , SR: 120.00 - upd)

3. Sir Isaac V A Richards

Innings Summary : ( Runs:189 , Balls :170, ,4S: 21 , 6S:5 , SR: 111.17 - upd)

4. Sachin Tendulkar

Innings Summary : (Runs:143, Balls :131, 4S: 9 , 6S:5 , SR: 109.16 - upd)

5. Aravinda De silva

Innings Summary : (Runs:107*, Balls :124, 4S: 13 , 6S:4 , SR : 86.29 No change)

6. Saeed Anwar

Innings Summary : (Runs:194 , Balls :146 , 4S: 22 , 6S:5 , SR: 132.87 - upd)

7. Herschelle Gibbs

Innings Summary : ( Runs:175 , Balls :111 , 4S: 21 , 6S:7 , SR: 157.65- upd)

8. Ricky Ponting

Innings Summary : (Runs :140*, Balls :121, 4S: 4 , 6S:8 , SR: 115.70 - upd )

9. Shahid Afridi

Innings Summary : (Runs:102, Balls :46 , 4S: 10 , 6S:9 , SR: 221.73- upd)

10. Mohammad Ashraful

Innings Summary : (Runs:100, Balls :101, 4S: 11 , 6S:0 , SR: 99.00 - upd )

Reader's Choice Category

Stephen Fleming - 134* against South Africa, 2003 World Cup.(Howsie, ali_ed2001, Ari, Amiya).

Sanath Jayasuriya - 189 against India, Sharjah, 2000(sifter132, scion_sid).

Brian Lara - 139 against Australia, Port-of-Spain, 1995(sifter132).

MS Dhoni - 183* against Sri Lanka , Jaipur, 2005(sifter132, King Cricket).

Shahid Afridi- 100 (of just 37 balls) against Sri Lanka(send2yaari).

Kapil Dev - 175* against Zimbabwe, Tunbridge Wells, 1983(sifter132).

MS Dhoni - 148 against Pakistan (Amiya).

Jacob Oram - 101* (off 70 balls) against Australia ,VB series.(nz0003).

Here is Additional list Update ( July 2, 2009)

Andrew Symonds - 139 against Pakistan, World Cup 2003(Amiya,
Scion_Sid, karnog).

Sachin Tendulkar - 134 against Australia, Sharjah, 1998(aditya123).

Sourav Ganguly - 183 against Sri Lanka, World Cup 1999 (aditya123, karnog).

Brian Lara - 111 against South Africa , Karachi, World Cup 1996(aditya123)

Inzamam - 140 against India, Karachi, 2004(aditya123).

Chris Gayle - 120 against Australia, 2002(karnog).

Brian Lara - 116 against South Africa, Capetown, World Cup 2003(aditya123).

Yuvraj Singh - 139 against Australia ,Sydney, 2003(aditya123, karnog).

Here is Additional list Update (July 4, 2009).

Chris Cairns - 102 against India, Nairobi, 2000 (irottev).

Virendra Sehwag - 112 New Zealand, Auckland, 2003(scion_sid).

Virendra Sehwag – 125* against New Zealand, Hamilton 2009 (scion_sid).

Yuvraj Singh – 138* against England, Rajkot, 2008(ashwinkm).

To many it may appear too daunting to select the 10 Greatest One Day Centuries of all time from past and present era.

So to simplify matters the following options are now available.

Option 3

Readers have the Third option of choosing 5 Greatest One Day Centuries of all time from present and past era.

Option 4

Readers have the Fourth option of choosing 3 Greatest One Day Centuries of all time from present era only.

The Primary objective of the thread is to share cricket knowledge and enrich each other.

Please do not take anything personally in the event of disagreement or difference of opinion as no two persons think alike and every one is entitled to his or her opinion and it is a common courtesy to respect that.

Arguments put forward are only for the sake of the topic. Beyond that we are all mates and buddies.

I am sure it will be an interesting discussion and we will have invaluable inputs and insights from everyone.

I hope the availability of multiple Selection options and Reader's Choice Category available will provide better opportunities for broader participation.

Let’s enjoy and have fun guys.

Its now Reader’s turn to respond.

Good luck and Cheers!

Last edited:
Stephen Fleming's 134* against South Africa in the 2003 World Cup.

Jacob Oram's 101* off 70 odd balls against Australia in the VB series.

Craig McMillian's 117 against Australia in the 2007 Chappel-Hadlee series.

They are some of the best I've seen played by NZ'ers.

My Top five:

Ponting's 2003 WC 100
Fleming's 2003 WC 100
Hayden's 181* against us in the Chappel-Hadlee series in 2007
Gilchrist's 100 in the 2007 WC Final
Jayasuria's 100 he made in Australia after just getting in less then 24 hours before the match.

I could probably go on and name a whole lot more two.

I remember Fleming's hundred against SAF, that was one great innings..!

There are far too many to put it into a Top 10.

Strike rates clarifications

You've got your strike rates all wrong, mate.

You are absolutely right. Barring Aravinda De Silva's SR 86.29 which is correct
all other SR are incorrect because of error at the Information source which is bizzare and weird.All other Info: Runs scored, # of 4S, # of 6S are correct.

Thanks for pointing it out and I will update the post with the correct SR info as confirmed from Cricinfo One day Stats Guru.

Earlier this year, the ICC rankings site published a list of the 10 most STATISTICALLY impressive innings in ODI cricket. To get the list they take into account at least a couple of factors I know of: quality of bowlers in other team and how easy the pitch was to score from during the game. But it can't tell you if the innings was ugly, if the player was dropped 17 times, or if the game was a meaningless dead rubber. Here's that list:

1 - Viv Richards (WI) 189* v Eng at Manchester in 1984
2 - David Gower (Eng) 158 v NZ at Brisbane in 1983
3 - Desmond Haynes (WI) 145* v NZ at Berbice in 1985
4 - Kapil Dev (Ind) 175* v Zim at Tunbridge Wells in 1983
5 - Sanath Jayasuriya (SL) 189 v Ind at Sharjah in 2000
6 - Sanath Jayasuriya (SL) 151* v Ind at Mumbai in 1997
7 - MS Dhoni (Ind) 183* v SL at Jaipur in 2005
8 - Allan Border (Aus) 127* v WI at Sydney in 1985
9 - Brian Lara (WI) 139 v Aus at Port-of-Spain in 1995
10 - Saeed Anwar (Pak) 194 v Ind at Chennai in 1997

I have to admit, I have seen NONE of these innings. 5 of them were in the mid 80's - before my time, and the other 5 were in series' I never saw.

Anyone seen these knocks? How would you rate them quality wise?

The best century ever was Saeed Anwer 194 Great batting and extreme show of skills.Indians were looking that they can never get out this man and then cramps come in and he fell short of his double hundred.
More two best centuries was all by Shahid Afridi,each time he bats its joy to watch.
1.100 of just 37 balls
2.100 of just 45 balls against India

The best century ever was Saeed Anwer 194 Great batting and extreme show of skills.Indians were looking that they can never get out this man and then cramps come in and he fell short of his double hundred.
More two best centuries was all by Shahid Afridi,each time he bats its joy to watch.
1.100 of just 37 balls

That hundred Afridi scored scored of only 37 balls is a joke. The ground was so small.

Stephen Fleming's 134* against South Africa in the 2003 World Cup.

Jacob Oram's 101* off 70 odd balls against Australia in the VB series.

Craig McMillian's 117 against Australia in the 2007 Chappel-Hadlee series

They were all quality, Fleming's probably takes the cake. Although if Jacob Oram had of won the game for us, that would of been the best.

MS Dhoni's century against Sri Lanka

Ricky Punter's century in the 2003 World Cup final

And, that Herschelle Gibbs' century against Australia in the match where SA chased down 430+

Three centuries I will never forget.

Earlier this year, the ICC rankings site published a list of the 10 most STATISTICALLY impressive innings in ODI cricket. To get the list they take into account at least a couple of factors I know of: quality of bowlers in other team and how easy the pitch was to score from during the game. But it can't tell you if the innings was ugly, if the player was dropped 17 times, or if the game was a meaningless dead rubber. Here's that list:

1 - Viv Richards (WI) 189* v Eng at Manchester in 1984
2 - David Gower (Eng) 158 v NZ at Brisbane in 1983
3 - Desmond Haynes (WI) 145* v NZ at Berbice in 1985
4 - Kapil Dev (Ind) 175* v Zim at Tunbridge Wells in 1983
5 - Sanath Jayasuriya (SL) 189 v Ind at Sharjah in 2000
6 - Sanath Jayasuriya (SL) 151* v Ind at Mumbai in 1997
7 - MS Dhoni (Ind) 183* v SL at Jaipur in 2005
8 - Allan Border (Aus) 127* v WI at Sydney in 1985
9 - Brian Lara (WI) 139 v Aus at Port-of-Spain in 1995
10 - Saeed Anwar (Pak) 194 v Ind at Chennai in 1997

I have to admit, I have seen NONE of these innings. 5 of them were in the mid 80's - before my time, and the other 5 were in series' I never saw.

Anyone seen these knocks? How would you rate them quality wise?

Thanks for sharing your input. I only saw Saeed Anwar (Pak) 194 v Ind at Chennai in 1997 in the form of highlights in a commercially available cricket DVD. WOW! That was Saeed Anwar a his majestic best. Not many Openers can play both on and off side with such authority and ease. This innings of his bordered on genius. It is still a world record for the highest Individual score in a One dayer.

robin2855 added 7 Minutes and 38 Seconds later...

MS Dhoni's century against Sri Lanka

Ricky Punter's century in the 2003 World Cup final

And, that Herschelle Gibbs' century against Australia in the match where SA chased down 430+

Three centuries I will never forget.

I saw Gibbs' century against Australia in the match where SA chased down 430+ live.Unbelievable! That kind of aggression -Innings Summary : ( Runs:175 , Balls :111 , 4S: 21 , 6S:7 , SR: 157.65- upd) against the World's #1 isn't possible unless you are a superman. It is such a great joy to watch Gibbs in full cry. He is simply outstanding.

That hundred Afridi scored scored of only 37 balls is a joke. The ground was so small.

I think it was bigger then your Kiwis grounds still no body able to hit faster then that:D
Really a poor attitude by you man instead of praising you are still jealous.:mad:

1.100 of just 37 balls

Saeed Anwar is the best Opener Pakstan has ever produced in their cricket history though old timers will take a swipe at me for overlooking the incomparable Hanif Mohammad. So to be fair I have to rephrase by sayng that Saeed Anwar is the best Pakistiani Opener of the Modern era with Mohsin Khan a close second. Now that innings of 194 was a masterpiece.

India was blown away by Saeed Anwar. It was pure magic. Pace or Spin everyone was treated with utter disdain and dispatched to all parts of the ground with least effort. He had everything - Ability to play early, grace, Elegance, Style,Timing, Master of hooks, Pulls, Drives. Such a treat to watch.

Pakistan's Cricket is poor without this One day master. I doubt their will ever be another Saeed.

This innings Innings of his - Summary : (Runs:194 , Balls :146 , 4S: 22 , 6S:5 , SR: 132.87 - upd) gives an idea of his dominance over Indian Bowlers.

Being a Computer Engineer by profession helped him to be a thinking cricketer.

He is incidentally my most favorite Pakistani Cricketer After the Legend Immy (Imran Khan).

Afridi's 100 of just 45 balls against India.

What can I say about this. Pure carnage. I saw it live and also have a DVD. I wonder if their has been a better display of Destruction and mauling. I may dare say whether one of my all time favorite Viv would be able to play this kind of knock .

Innings Summary : (Runs:102, Balls :46 , 4S: 10 , 6S:9 , SR: 221.73- upd) says it all of the savagery of his knock.

If readers observe of all the players I have listed none of them is even close to him in terms of SR. The nearest we see is Gibbs (SR: 157.65) and Gilly(SR: 143.26).

In terms of sixes too Afridi (6S:9 ) is marginally ahead of Gilly and Ponti(6S:8) and Gibbs (6S:7).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread