10 Greatest One Day Centuries of all time (Multiple selection Options plus Reader's Choice Category)

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Saeed Anwar is the best Opener Pakstan has ever produced in their cricket history though old timers will take a swipe at me for overlooking the incomparable Hanif Mohammad. So to be fair I have to rephrase by sayng that Saeed Anwar is the best Pakistiani Opener of the Modern era with Mohsin Khan a close second. Now that innings of 194 was a masterpiece.

India was blown away by Saeed Anwar. It was pure magic. Pace or Spin everyone was treated with utter disdain and dispatched to all parts of the ground with least effort. He had everything - Abilty to play early, grace, Elegance, Style,Timing, Master of hooks, Pulls, Drives. Such a treat to watch.

Pakistan's Cricket is poor without this One day master. I doubt their will ever be another Saeed.

This innings Innings of his - Summary : (Runs:194 , Balls :146 , 4S: 22 , 6S:5 , SR: 132.87 - upd) gives an idea of his dominance over Indian Bowlers.

Being a Computer Engineer by profession helped him to be a thinking cricketer.

He is incidentally my most favorite Pakistani Cricketer After the Legend Immy (Imran Khan).

Afridi's 100 of just 45 balls against India.

What can I say about this. Pure carnage. I saw it live and also have a DVD. I wonder if their has been a better display of Destruction nad mauling. I may dare say whether one of my all time favorite Viv would be able to play this kind of knock .

Innings Summary : (Runs:102, Balls :46 , 4S: 10 , 6S:9 , SR: 221.73- upd) says it all of the savagery of his knock.

If readers observe of all the players I have listed none of them is even close to him interms of SR. The nearest we see is Gibbs (SR: 157.65) and Gilly(SR: 143.26).

In terms of sixes too Afridi (6S:9 ) is ahead marginally of Gilly and Ponti(6S:9 ) and Gibbs (6S:7).

Dear great post,also post some reviews on 37 ball century.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
I think it was bigger then your Kiwis grounds still no body able to hit faster then that:D
Really a poor attitude by you man instead of praising you are still jealous.:mad:

Um no..............

The boundry looked about 40-45M long, it was a tiny ground.

And what am I jealous off?

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Even If You are playing Galli Cricket 100 of 37 balls is never been easy.

Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors
Actually 100 off 37 balls in all non-management cricket games is the easiest thing.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Saeed Anwar hardly deserves mention here. He was batting with runner in that match and had he ran for himself he would have fallen after scoring 100 as it was so hot and humid in Chennai that day.

In comparison Jayasuriya's highest score against India in Sharjah was awesome innings. He started slow and then just blew the bowling in the end. When he got out his expression told that he would have got 200 easily.

Another innings which came close to getting 200 was Sachin's knock against Kiwis earlier this year. He was batting like demon but got hit by the ball.

Amiya

Panel of Selectors
Some of my Favourate centuries -
? 183* by M.S. Dhoni vs. Sri lanka.
?Fleming's 134 in the WC 2003, was a captain knock.
? Tendulkar's 143 vs. West Indies in the DLF Cup.
? Gibbs 175 vs. Australia.
? Anwar 194 vs. India.
?Afridi 102 vs. India.
? Ponting's WC 2003 final innings.
?Dhoni's 148 vs. Pakistan.

Gunner786

Panel of Selectors
That hundred Afridi scored scored of only 37 balls is a joke. The ground was so small.
the size the ground was you would think it was in new zealand,

does that mean every 100 scored in nz is a joke?

gambino added 1 Minutes and 26 Seconds later...

Saeed Anwar hardly deserves mention here. He was batting with runner in that match and had he ran for himself he would have fallen after scoring 100 as it was so hot and humid in Chennai that day.

In comparison Jayasuriya's highest score against India in Sharjah was awesome innings. He started slow and then just blew the bowling in the end. When he got out his expression told that he would have got 200 easily.

Another innings which came close to getting 200 was Sachin's knock against Kiwis earlier this year. He was batting like demon but got hit by the ball.
you forgetting the size of the ground?
and the amount of chances he got?

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
the size the ground was you would think it was in new zealand,

does that mean every 100 scored in nz is a joke?

gambino added 1 Minutes and 26 Seconds later...

you forgetting the size of the ground?
and the amount of chances he got?

Your little digs at New Zealand are getting very tiresome. But trust me most of New Zealand's grounds are bigger then the Gymkhana Club Ground where it was played.

Check it out on Youtube.

robin2855

Club Cricketer
Reader?s Choice Category

I would like to thank and appreciate readers for investing their valuable time and spontaneously providing their selections, insights that has got the thread to a good start.

As mentioned in my first post any genuine inputs by any reader in the form of Selection that is outside of my Selection will be considered and acknowledgedby mentioning their names in brackets after their specific selection and also placing them in The Reader?s Choice Category.

Here are the list that deserves to be considered and acknowledged and placed in Reader?s Choice Category.

Stephen Fleming - 134* against South Africa, 2003 World Cup.(Howsie, ali_ed2001, Ari, Amiya).

Sanath Jayasuriya - 189 against India, Sharjah, 2000(sifter132, scion_sid).

Brian Lara - 139 against Australia, Port-of-Spain, 1995(sifter132).

MS Dhoni - 183* against Sri Lanka , Jaipur, 2005(sifter132, King Cricket).

Shahid Afridi- 100 (of just 37 balls) against Sri Lanka(send2yaari).

Kapil Dev - 175* against Zimbabwe, Tunbridge Wells, 1983(sifter132).

MS Dhoni - 148 against Pakistan (Amiya).

Jacob Oram - 101* (off 70 balls) against Australia ,VB series.(nz0003).

I guess we have seen only the tip of the iceberg.

I look forward to see reader?s unfold and share their hidden treasures with others which is what the forum is all about.

Cheers!

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
If you take the quality of the innings and the situation of the game, a few more come to mind. Tendulkar`s back-to-back 100s at Sharjah versus Australia must surely deserve a mention. Some of Lara`s knocks in the World Cups (in the 96 Q/F and the 2003 opening game) were also a treat to the eyes and surprisingly nobody has even mentioned any of these innings. Yuvraj`s 139 at the SCG in 2003 was a pretty knock as well. Herschelle Gibbs`s 175 in `that`
game also deserves a mention along with Ponting`s and Gilly`s WC Final hundreds.
They surely deserve a mention ahead of some Shahid Afridi knocks. Even Ganguly`s 183 against SL in the 1999 WC would rate higher than Afridi`s knocks purely from a cricketing view point. All the above knocks came in high pressure games which mattered, with all due respect to Afridi and his fans. Inzamam`s 140-odd against India at Karachi in 2004 was a superb knock as well.

Here are some of my favorite ODI hundreds (only the ones I have seen) not in any order:

Sachin Tendulkar at Sharjah,1998
Brian Lara`s hundreds against SA, 96 WC Q/F and 2003 WC
Inzamam`s 2004 Karachi hundred
Yuvraj against Australia, SCG 2003
Gilchrist, WC 2007 Final
Ponting, 2003 WC final
Gibbs` 175 at Jo`burg
Anwar`s 194
Ganguly`s 183 at Taunton, 1999 WC
Tendulkar in the CB Series 2008 Final

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Mother of all World Cup centuries

"Andrew Symonds Century against Pakistan in the 2003 World Cup"

karnog

International Cricketer
From the innings i've seen:
Afridi's 102 off 40 deliveries against SL (1996) in Africa (not sure where but not SA or ZIM)
Ganguly's 183 against SL (world cup)
Davison's 111 of 98 balls against the Windies in the 03 world cup (played for Canada)
Gibb's 175 at Jo-Burg
Pietersen's 100 of like 60 something balls against SA in East London, SA 2005
Symond's knock in the 2003 WC against Pakistan
Ponting's knock against India in the final of 03
Yuvraj's 139 against Australia in Sydney,2003
Gayle's 140 against India in 2002 (strike rate around 120 from memory)
Collingwood's 120 against Australia in Melbourne, 2007. Great knock considering the way English were playing. And the fact there was no KP.

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Mother of all World Cup centuries

"Andrew Symonds Century against Pakistan in the 2003 World Cup"

Yeah it was damn good innings and most importantly helped Australia in winning the match.

Yup that was the best because that shows How classy some time he is and worse in a sense that it knocks Pakistan out.

Users who are viewing this thread