Yousuf's first game back and he's already the Test #1

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Mohammad Yousuf made a seamless return to international cricket this week with a polished century in Galle, and his comeback has become sweeter still by reaching the top of the ICC Test rankings. This is the first time he has been officially ranked the leading Test batsman.

Returning Yousuf becomes No. 1 Test batsman | Cricket News | Cricinfo ICC Site | Cricinfo.com

Another example of the flawed ICC Rankings system. Younis Khan got to number 1 after 1 Test after a year a little while ago, and now Yousuf has done the same. Shiv Chanderpaul, Gautam Gambhir and Kumar Sangakkara are all far more deserving of the #1 spot, they've been consistently brilliantly for the last few years, but Yousuf comes back from selling himself out to play in some Mickey Mouse Indian T20 Tournament and is instantly bumped to #1 in the rankings. Ridiculous.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Check out the ODI ranking's, they are even more of a joke.

But yeah I agree, Chanderpaul deserve's the number one spot. How playing one game gets you to top is beyond me. Will Shane Bond go back to number one in the ODI bowling rankings when he comes back :rolleyes:

rockyrakster

Club Captain
ICC Rankings are just a joke I think people should stop taking it serious.
They rated Haydos Better than Sachin.Haydos is outstanding but not better than Sachin is it??ICC rankings for me is CRAP!!!!

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
With Pakistan having played less number of tests in last 1 year or so, this factor adds more flavor to it. It is just ridiculous :rtfl

rockyrakster said:
They rated Haydos Better than Sachin.Haydos is outstanding but not better than Sachin is it??

Oh, no! Lets not make this as another comparison thread. Both have been the champions in their own team. Lets leave them in peace. :D

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
They rated Haydos Better than Sachin.Haydos is outstanding but not better than Sachin is it??ICC rankings for me is CRAP!!!!

We went through this before. They don't consider Hayden better, just he had more points when at the absolute top of his game, as the system judges form by their performances against the differing nations. There was no opinion involved, just that Hayden had a higher point score, having averaged 60+ in 2 consecutive years against the best sides in the world.

I understand that Yousuf was playing well before he buggered off to play ICL Mickey Mouse cricket, but that shouldn't mean that he can just jump back in, hit 1 decent score and jump to #1 in the rankings. Such a flawed system.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors

At some point of his career Hayden was probably better then Tendulkar. The Rankings are suppose to go on current form.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
lol at the rankings. Mitch is the 3 best bowler to but we haven't played Test Cricket for 4 months. That's not really that bad at all, but I don't really agree with it.

P

pcfan123

Yousuf rarely plays a match winning innings, much like Sachin. They both have a lot of 100's but in losing causes. Steve Waugh on the other hand....

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Yousuf rarely plays a match winning innings, much like Sachin. They both have a lot of 100's but in losing causes. Steve Waugh on the other hand....

That's not a valid argument imo. There are 10 other players in a team and there is only so much one man can do. Also, it's not as if one knowsbeforehand that they're going to win.

P

pcfan123

I dont want to start a big thing here, but there is a difference mate. A big one. Also Sachin and Yousufs 100's are made on sub continent wickets. Big difference from Oz and other countries where you actually get some help for the bowlers.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
I dont want to start a big thing here, but there is a difference mate. A big one. Also Sachin and Yousufs 100's are made on sub continent wickets. Big difference from Oz and other countries where you actually get some help for the bowlers.

Sachin averages 54 overall and 51 outside the subcontinent (Pakistan, India and Bangladesh). He's scored 20 of his 42 hundreds outside the subcontinent.

Mohammad Yousuf averages 55 overall and 50 outside the subcontinent with 10 of his 24 centuries coming outside the subcontinent.

Nice try.

P

pcfan123

and how many of those matches did they lose? over 60% i would bet. Its no point arguing anything about Sachin with Indian people. They all have a raging hard on for him

Gurjot95

National Board President
and how many of those matches did they lose? over 60% i would bet. Its no point arguing anything about Sachin with Indian people. They all have a raging hard on for him
There is no point of comparing batsman hundreds with team wins. These are the Player Rankings not the match winning 100's rankings which are done by averages not by match wins. Moreover player doesn't know that his team will win when he score 100;). It's the team fault that they didn't do well. There are many other batsman like this too.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
He was number 1 when he left I think.

P

pcfan123

ICC player ranking are pointless. Even the team rankings are dodge

Users who are viewing this thread