Pitch not up to scratch?

jazz

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
This pitch reminds me of an Indian/Sri Lanka pitch taking spin early maybe not much of a batsman friendly surface.

But England have every right to make a pitch they please they are the home team.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
It's not an English-style pitch is what I guess the argument is. It was still fine for Test cricket, however, and we played better on it. Simple as.

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
The pitch was indeed fine. The scores (apart from aus 1st innings) were very similar to 2005.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
No, it wasn't the best pitch ever, but both teams had to play on it. England just did a better job out there, that's all there is to it. :)

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Who gives a crap? The home country should be able to make pitches to their liking. It makes a win all the more special and matches all the more interesting. It's test cricket. It's supposed to be a test to win. Overcoming all odds and all.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
We need more wickets like this. Well it got a bit dull today but wickets that get results are just what you need for cricket.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
As Nasser (I think it was) said, I'd rather have this pitch than a boring flat surface where each team scores 650.

NICK_GIFF

Club Captain
It would be a disaster for Test Cricket if people start complaining about a pitch which has been prepared to give a result when Test cricket is being killed by utter roads being prepared in order to guarantee 5 full days of cricket (and therefore more money for the home board).

And it's safe to say the Aussies would not be complaining if they had:

a) Batted sensibly in their first innings

b) Won the toss and batted first

c) Picked Hauritz, which they failed to do after they'd seen the pitch afaik.

Fair play to the Aussie players for not complaining, but Nielsen hasn't covered himself in any glory with his moaning and nor will many Aussies - who so often fail to show grace in defeat.

Please note I'm not pointing any fingers at Aussie1st as he's admitted the defeat is down to Australia's 1st innings horror show.

P

pcfan123

Centuries were made on the pitch on day 3 and day 4. End of story

NICK_GIFF

Club Captain
The Aussie cricket writer (as well as the majority of his fellow Aussies judging by their comments) Robert Craddock were describing the pitch as flat after the first day. :D

Really wish more Aussies knew how to lose gracefully and accept they were beaten by the better team in this Test, and that they simply didn't perform at the key times (Headingley aside, they fell short in the crucial final session at Cardiff, and only performed at Edgbaston once the game was dead). :facepalm

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
three pretty big innings of well over 300.

and seeing as australia had a spinner and chose never to pick him I can't see any room for complaint. maybe when your best spinner is a bit crap it seems more fun to load your bowling attack with your fast man but it smacked of a selection strategy lacking any bravery.

didn't know what to do after siddle had bowled really well and clark had done some some good work on a pitch suited for fast bowling so australia flinched and kept them all in.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
The Aussie cricket writer (as well as the majority of his fellow Aussies judging by their comments) Robert Craddock were describing the pitch as flat after the first day. :D

Really wish more Aussies knew how to lose gracefully and accept they were beaten by the better team in this Test, and that they simply didn't perform at the key times (Headingley aside, they fell short in the crucial final session at Cardiff, and only performed at Edgbaston once the game was dead). :facepalm

That's so true! As I said, well played to any Aussies recognising the fact that England just edged it and as for those feeling bitter, better get a lot of sour grapes in, because you'll be eating them for at least two years. :laugh

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
My point was based on the County umpire, I will admit the pitch did play fine in the end. But if the County umpire is actually right in saying that the home side would have been docked points then why do we have differing standards? Shouldn't County cricket be following Test cricket, after all if you have to play on these pitches in Test cricket then you would want to get as much practice playing on these types of surfaces.

Again I know we bowled and batted crap on this pitch and that is what cost us.

Users who are viewing this thread