ICC News: Restructuring the ICC, BCCI Influence & more

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
FIFA are far worse off than the ICC.

FIFA's corruption is not structural though. Its corruption is up in highest levels of the executive committee which never happened before until Seep Blatter became president. The foolishness that happens in cricket with regards to the IPL, ICL, URDS, Pakistan cricket corruption, match-fixing, players taking drugs would never happen in the football world.

Cricket corruption is one member board (BCCI) basically running the game in the shadows. Given that crickets executive committee is lame duck.

----------

BCCI generates 70 % revenue of ICC. :lol ICC needs BCCI more than BCCI needs ICC. A case in point WC and IPL.

Extremely flawed reasoning this.

Firstly being crickets major generator of revenue or being the most fanatical cricket nation, does not mean the BCCI or any single member board who had such a revenue base for the game, should run an entire sporting governing body. I'm fairly sure if you asked the average Indian fan, if they like what their corrupt officials in the BCCI are doing the majority would not approve.

The small cricket world loves & appreciates that Indians loves cricket so much & thanks to the IPL cricketers are being payed on the level of footballs stars finally. But India's influence has to be controlled, given Indian officials are known to be corrupt & they are using their influence to bully & to do things that just benefits themselves, which is leading to madness throughout the cricket world.

Almost every problem in cricket these days can be traced back to not have a proper independent ICC.

Last edited:

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
----------

[/COLOR]

Firstly being cricket major generator of revenue or being those of fanatical cricket nation, does not mean the BCCI or any single member board who had such revenue base for the game should run an entire sporting governing body. I'm fairly sure if you asked the average Indian fan, if they like what they corrupt officials in the BCCI are doing the majority would not approve.

The small cricket world loves & appreciates that Indian loves cricket so much that thanks to the IPL cricketers are being payed on the level of footballs stars finally. But India's influence has to be controlled, given Indian officials are known to be corrupt & they are using their influence to bully & to things that just benefits themselves, which is leading to madness throughout the cricket world.

Almost every problem in cricket these days can be traced back to not have a proper independent ICC.

:clap :clap :clap :clap

cricketlover172

Club Cricketer
FIFA's corruption is not structural though. Its corruption is up in highest levels of the executive committee which never happened before until Seep Blatter became president. The foolishness that happens in cricket with regards to the IPL, ICL, URDS, Pakistan cricket corruption, match-fixing, players taking drugs would never happen in the football world.

Cricket corruption is one member board (BCCI) basically running the game in the shadows. Given that crickets executive committee is lame duck.

----------

Firstly being cricket major generator of revenue or being those of fanatical cricket nation, does not mean the BCCI or any single member board who had such revenue base for the game should run an entire sporting governing body. I'm fairly sure if you asked the average Indian fan, if they like what they corrupt officials in the BCCI are doing the majority would not approve.

The small cricket world loves & appreciates that Indian loves cricket so much that thanks to the IPL cricketers are being payed on the level of footballs stars finally. But India's influence has to be controlled, given Indian officials are known to be corrupt & they are using their influence to bully & to things that just benefits themselves, which is leading to madness throughout the cricket world.

Lol what ? Tell me some of the problems cricket is facing. And how is BCCI responsible for that.

BCCI is not responsible for Pakistan not banning drug cheats Shoaib and Asif or cash for no-balls by Aamir and Asif.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Lol what ? Tell me some of the problems cricket is facing. And how is BCCI responsible for that.

BCCI is not responsible for Pakistan not banning drug cheats Shoaib and Asif or cash for no-balls by Aamir and Asif.

----------

[/COLOR]lol...... Come on don't you start again. We all know about Suresh Raina heavily involved in some activities and when the scene comes out all of the Indian Media got mum while it cries when some other person does something. People are also aware of Gautham Ghambir.

The Indian Influence is even on the next format of the World Cup.

@War, You put it right, They just do things which benefit themselves.

Last edited:

cricketlover172

Club Cricketer
lol...... Come on don't you start again. We all know about Suresh Raina heavily involved in some activities and when the scene comes out all of the Indian Media got mum while it cries when some other person does something. People are also aware of Gautham Ghambir.

@War, You put it right, They just can't do things which benefit themselves.

----------

lol...... Come on don't you start again. We all know about Suresh Raina heavily involved in some activities and when the scene comes out all of the Indian Media got mum while it cries when some other person does something. People are also aware of Gautham Ghambir.

@War, You put it right, They just do things which benefit themselves.

Well going by your logic Imran khan , Wasim, Waqar should have been banned as well because they were accused of ball tampering.:lol

And yes Indian influence is certainly evident on next format after all didn't Sharad powar ask to consider the decision of excluding associates in next WC ?

And yes PCB does for the benefit of all as seen by their behaviour at England tour last year.:facepalm

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Well they won't get banned because ball tampering has been done over the years not just our Pace attacks. Besides I was talking about the Media Mum and hiding from the guilty.U got my logic wrong

hmmm why excluding the associates asked by Powar???:rolleyes Sounds quite clever. Anyhow, U won't agree so no use of further discussion. Thats not an issue raised by me infact the voice has been rising up all over the cricket world gradually.

Last edited:

cricketlover172

Club Cricketer
Well they won't get banned because ball tampering has been done over the years not just our Pace attacks. Besides I was talking about the Media Mum and hiding from the guilty.U got my logic wrong

hmmm why excluding the associates asked by Powar???:rolleyes Sounds quite clever. Anyhow, U won't agree so no use of further discussion. Thats not an issue raised by me infact the voice has been rising up all over the cricket world gradually.

Which media are you talking about ? Did it appear in cricinfo ?:lol

Yes Mcgrath and Marshall were also accused of ball tampering. What a logic you have . :facepalm

Yes it is certainly as clever as not hosting a single WC match and getting their share of hosting fee. Right.

And don't talk me about all over the World. We know what all over the world thinks about PCB and their cricket team.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors

War

Chairman of Selectors

Read what i said again sir. I did not say BCCI is responsible for crickets current problems. I said a lack of a proper independent ICC is. The BCCI however given is unfair influence & bullying is compounding the problems such as:

1. The URDS issue. The whole cricket world accepts the URDS should be universal in tests except India. Its is a utter insult to cricket stats & the sport in general that we can have simultaneous series playing in which everyone is not subjected to the same rules.

The BCCI already knows that the ICC doesn't have the money & hasn't figured out a way to pay for the URDS technology itself. Thus it is asking host countries to foot the bill. The BCCI are just compounding a simple issue by showing foolish reluctance to use the technology just because their players used the technology incorrectly during the 2008 test series vs Sri Lanka.

2. Pakistan's situation in world cricket. A situation which seems to be disintegrating every other month. I blame the lack of not having a strong ICC for what could may happen to your Pakistan soon. As Mr.Samiuddin (spell check) highlighted in this article

quote said:
There hasn't been a stronger, more damning indictment of the way cricket is run in Pakistan since full membership was achieved in 1952. Most pointedly the message is aimed at this board, but really the ultimatum is the logical conclusion of the last four years in particular and probably applies retrospectively to all administrations since the first days of match-fixing, the mid-90s. It is actually an equal indictment of the ICC that it has taken it so long to recognise that Pakistan is the sick man of world cricket, a truth most Pakistanis and the world have known all along..

They, the ICC have basically taken so long because its a lame duck organisation. Like football's governing body FIFA, if the ICC was a proper governing body. It would have had strict rules, prohibiting governments from being involved as a influence in cricket boards, which happens in football. Which has been a big problem in PAK cricket for years, which has lead to:

- all players being selected due to political connections & nepotism as you highlighted. Instead of on merit.

- the talk i've heard in interviews Imran Khan said himself. Oone of the reasons he stopped playing domestic cricket in Pakistan during the 1980s. Was because the domestic system was structured so abysmally & it stiffled talent. For example you have the Pakistan Airlines & Pak Bank being teams in their FC competition - instead of having proper state teams like Lahore, Karachi etc.

If all these years the PCB, knew they had a real strong & independent ICC breathing down their necks, that had those strict have rules in place, they would have gotten their house in order. The PCB thus, would have reformed itself yearsa ago i feel, since they would know imminent bans/suspensions from the ICC would have been on its way.

Plus if all this was done. Guys like Asif & Aamir would have likely not have gotten involved with match-fixing. Since they would have been educated from an early age about those corrupt factions of PAK cricket & would have been protected.

3. South Africa's quota problem. This is just as bad a nepotism in PAK cricket, but the S Africans do it sneakily. Also given that S Africa are such a strong team, the forced black players selections doesn't affect them much if at all. But many talented white players tend to go Kolpak in England & SA have lost many quality players due to this most famously Pietersen.

In football their is strict "government must not mix with sports policy" or else teams risk getting banned. If ICC was very strong S Africa could would not be able to get away with it on a international level (although they could still do it domestically).

4. IPL in its current format. IPL should never have been allowed to created as a private league, it had to be a international league. That 4-international player rule is ridiculous.

The IPL can easily be English premier league of cricket, if teams are mix with proper combination of established Indian players, actual talented young Indians (instead of many joke Indian players that make up many IPL sides) & foreign stars.

Since at the end of the day the IPL isn't bringing forth any talented young Indian players that the Ranji Trophy or MRF pace foundation wont.

The IPL unless it is revamped should never have a window, given that the BCCI doesn't even have the decency to care about the tough "club vs country" decisions that players from the financially weak countries such as Windies, NZ, SRI, PAK, BANG have to make every year. All those cronies care about is getting the players - they dont if those weak nations lose their key players to IPL riches.

5. Lack of proper priorities in the ICC given it is lame duck organisation.

To quote Windies coach Gibson from a recent article: Ottis Gibson: 'West Indies are 10 or 15 years behind the curve' | Specials | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

quote said:
The ICC has invested a lot in associate nations and they need to for them to develop. But we're in a similar situation

Cricket is small community with just 8 strong nations. ICC should be spending money to help the weaker of these top 8 teams. So as to make cricket extremely competitive amongst the main 8 nations. Instead of wasting it to try to promote it in America & other developing nations currently.

T20 is potentially the vehicle in which emerging countries can like cricket however & the ICC should stop wastefully sending/investing money to/in those nations & probably have more emerging nations T20 tournaments.

But with regards to windies & other weak top 8 cricket financial nations like N Zealand, S Lanka & Pakistan. ICC should definitely aid in investing to money for academies which would in the end aid in those countries having strong domestic competitions. Since all of those countries historically have always struggled with players having great domestic records but struggling to translate that to internal cricket. Compared to AUS, ENG, SA (India also in the both of former in some area's)

Such an investment would go along way in leveling the playing field with the top 8 nations & once thats is secure i would have no issue with them trying to invest in emerging countries.

These are the major problems currently in cricket. Very stupid problems if you ask me that could be easily fixed if the ICC was a proper governing body.

cricketlover172

Club Cricketer
Read what i said again sir. I did not say BCCI is responsible for crickets current problems. I said a lack of a proper independent ICC is. The BCCI however given is unfair influence & bullying is compounding the problems such as:

1. The URDS issue. The whole cricket world accepts the URDS should be universal in tests except India. Its is a utter insult to cricket stats & the sport in general that we can have simultaneous series playing in which everyone is not subjected to the same rules.

The BCCI already knows that the ICC doesn't have the money & hasn't figured out a way to pay for the URDS technology itself. Thus it is asking host countries to foot the bill. The BCCI are just compounding a simple issue by showing foolish reluctance to use the technology just because their players used the technology incorrectly during the 2008 test series vs Sri Lanka.

2. Pakistan's situation in world cricket. A situation which seems to be disintegrating every other month. I blame the lack of not having a strong ICC for what could may happen to your Pakistan soon. As Mr.Samiuddin (spell check) highlighted in this article

They, the ICC have basically taken so long because its a lame duck organisation. Like football's governing body FIFA, if the ICC was a proper governing body. It would have had strict rules, prohibiting governments from being involved as a influence in cricket boards, which happens in football. Which has been a big problem in PAK cricket for years, which has lead to:

- all players being selected due to political connections & nepotism as you highlighted. Instead of on merit.

- the talk i've heard in interviews Imran Khan said himself. Oone of the reasons he stopped playing domestic cricket in Pakistan during the 1980s. Was because the domestic system was structured so abysmally & it stiffled talent. For example you have the Pakistan Airlines & Pak Bank being teams in their FC competition - instead of having proper state teams like Lahore, Karachi etc.

If all these years the PCB, knew they had a real strong & independent ICC breathing down their necks, that had those strict have rules in place, they would have gotten their house in order. The PCB thus, would have reformed itself yearsa ago i feel, since they would know imminent bans/suspensions from the ICC would have been on its way.

Plus if all this was done. Guys like Asif & Aamir would have likely not have gotten involved with match-fixing. Since they would have been educated from an early age about those corrupt factions of PAK cricket & would have been protected.

3. South Africa's quota problem. This is just as bad a nepotism in PAK cricket, but the S Africans do it sneakily. Also given that S Africa are such a strong team, the forced black players selections doesn't affect them much if at all. But many talented white players tend to go Kolpak in England & SA have lost many quality players due to this most famously Pietersen.

In football their is strict "government must not mix with sports policy" or else teams risk getting banned. If ICC was very strong S Africa could would not be able to get away with it on a international level (although they could still do it domestically).

4. IPL in its current format. IPL should never have been allowed to created as a private league, it had to be a international league. That 4-international player rule is ridiculous.

The IPL can easily be English premier league of cricket, if teams are mix with proper combination of established Indian players, actual talented young Indians (instead of many joke Indian players that make up many IPL sides) & foreign stars.

Since at the end of the day the IPL isn't bringing forth any talented young Indian players that the Ranji Trophy or MRF pace foundation wont.

The IPL unless it is revamped should never have a window, given that the BCCI doesn't even have the decency to care about the tough "club vs country" decisions that players from the financially weak countries such as Windies, NZ, SRI, PAK, BANG have to make every year. All those cronies care about is getting the players - they dont if those weak nations lose their key players to IPL riches.

5. Lack of proper priorities in the ICC given it is lame duck organisation.

To quote Windies coach Gibson from a recent article: Ottis Gibson: 'West Indies are 10 or 15 years behind the curve' | Specials | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

Cricket is small community with just 8 strong nations. ICC should be spending money to help the weaker of these top 8 teams. So as to make cricket extremely competitive amongst the main 8 nations. Instead of wasting it to try to promote it in America & other developing nations currently.

T20 is potentially the vehicle in which emerging countries can like cricket however & the ICC should stop wastefully sending/investing money to/in those nations & probably have more emerging nations T20 tournaments.

But with regards to windies & other weak top 8 cricket financial nations like N Zealand, S Lanka & Pakistan. ICC should definitely aid in investing to money for academies which would in the end aid in those countries having strong domestic competitions. Since all of those countries historically have always struggled with players having great domestic records but struggling to translate that to internal cricket. Compared to AUS, ENG, SA (India also in the both of former in some area's)

Such an investment would go along way in leveling the playing field with the top 8 nations & once thats is secure i would have no issue with them trying to invest in emerging countries.

These are the major problems currently in cricket. Very stupid problems if you ask me that could be easily fixed if the ICC was a proper governing body.
1. Agree about UDRS. However here BCCI is simply supporting their players .No Indian player apart from Sehwag likes UDRS. Once Sachin , Dravid retires BCCI will stop opposing.

2.Problem is Cricket has only 8 nations. Whereas Football has many. ICC can't ban any nation like FIFA because there are so less nations.

3. Once again SA quota problem can't be solved because of Reason 2.

4.IPL is just like anyother T20 league. About 90 % of IPL revenue comes from India. So why would they have more than 4 players. However they do have foreign players so that it doesn't look like Ranji trophy which is watched by so less people.

5. Most of the WI player have turned to basket ball in USA. If money was the problem , then why they had so good side from 1960-2000. Cricket has to compete with basket ball in WI. And for that Cricket has to offer very good salary.

I mean look at England. I can't remember when was last time their national football team achieved something of note.Whereas in cricket, they are on verge of being no.1 test team. Yet Cricket is not the top sport there.

Most of the problem cricket is facing because, it is not very popular sports in OZ and UK(developed nation with large economy). If Cricket becomes no.1 sports in these country, then ICC can easily cut down BCCI influence and become independent.

Users who are viewing this thread