5th Test: Australia v England at the SCG - 3-7 Jan

bigred

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Pleased they've left Root out. We don't want to ruin him for life. Might as well let Carberry have his final test match. Could be Bairstow's last test also. At least for a little while anyway.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Unless he stuns us, the selection of Borthwick could potentially the worse ENG test selection since Darren Pattinson somehow played a test match in 2008.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Root's technique is too loose right now to be at the top of the order, just like it was in our Summer. This all goes back to a certain decision in the middle of our summer. He should have stayed down the order and just moved up a spot when Trott went at the most.

Last edited:

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
Unless he stuns us, the selection of Borthwick could potentially the worse ENG test selection since Darren Pattinson somehow played a test match in 2008.

I didn't hate the Pattinson selection that much, really. It was a gamble and it obviously didn't pay off, but they picked a man in form and had 3 other good seam options.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
When did Haddin learn to bat so well? He should be very close to receiving that man of the series award alongside Johnson.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Steve Smith has made two brilliant centuries now in this series, hardly offered a chance in either and has done the business when his team really needed him. Top stuff! Glad to say I was right on the idea that he should have been retained after India. The idea that Stokes was rubbish? Hmm, maybe missed the mark a little :D He's done really well, good job by the blood nut.

Well he can't do much worse than Simon Kerrigan did...

Root's technique is too loose right now to be at the top of the order, just like it was in our Summer. This all goes back to a certain decision in the middle of our summer. He should have stayed down the order and just moved up a spot when Trott went at the most.

Root just doesn't know how to start. Once he's past 30 he's usually good, scores at a decent rate and looks smooth. But starting an innings, he is clueless, doesn't look to score and just drags any partnership down. And his technique has been exposed a bit too...I like him being dropped for this, give the kid a message that a random 100 here or there between multiple plodding failures isn't good enough. But generally I think he should be a part of England's future.

Aussies all out now, anything over 300 was gold. Lets see how the holy pace trio do on this deck...And England's overrate has been atrocious, luckily they got Australia out before stumps so they will avoid a fine. Need to change that rule...:mad

dancingmongoose

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Where are all the Stokes doubters now? England's highest individual score (and their only century), second highest batting average, second most wickets, second best bowling figures. Hmm

----------

England's overrate has been atrocious, luckily they got Australia out before stumps so they will avoid a fine. Need to change that rule...:mad

Absolutely, they have been shocking all series, Cook is very lucky not to have faced punishment

Owzat

International Coach
I think the selections for this Test were slow reactions to continuous speculation and consequently crap.

Persisting with Carberry is pointless, he's limited in ability, mentality and runs, while Root may not be the perfect batsman or opener he presents a better short and long term option than Carberry. *EDIT* As I've been typing he has bagged himself a nine ball duck, just about the icing on the cake.

Carberry : 238 runs @ 26.44 (50 x1, HS 60)
Root : 192 runs @ 27.43 (50 x1, HS 87)

Fair does Root made his 87 when the game was up, but frankly he isn't 33 and scratching around like a county runmaker struggling to make runs in the Test arena like Carberry.

That duck may be only Carberry's second, and indeed only second single figures score, but he's made it to 30 SEVEN times (out of 11 innings) and never past 60. After his painful 81 ball 12 in the last Test you'd think he would have made way, but hell no. It isn't even as if he nominally plays for the same county as Cook (at least I'm sure he doesn't, might be wrong)

Root has struggled to make starts, not that he's alone in terms of England batsmen struggling. 62 runs in his last four innings will have been the crunch, never mind that Carberry is 33, Root here for the future and England are 0-4 down and ringing the changes, persist with someone who is unlikely to ever succeed over someone in poor form - classic selectorial stupidity

Rankin is just clutching at straws, Cook and the selection panel have obviously not really wanted to stray away from the "can bat, can bowl" selection policy so reluctantly tried someone different and he broke down. Whether Yawn's comments about him needing to do a fitness test are fair comment I'm not sure, I think the England set up needs to do a fitness test of a different variety.

What beggars belief is that, Broad aside, the pick of the series bowling averages have both been dropped. First Tremlett averaging 30, you can but wonder what might have happened had they persisted with him, and now Bresnan albeit his average was the third best or least worst of the rest and unless Anderson suddenly picks up wickets at the last hurdle, will remain thus.

Bresnan : 34 runs @ 8.50 & 5 wkts @ 41.20
Anderson : 33 & 8.25 & 11 wkts @ 45.64

Little in it, except Bresnan can make runs and Anderson looks decidedly ordinary when the ball isn't swinging all over the place.

Stokes has picked up what I call a routine 5wi, for want of a better description. Basically it's a five wicket haul that comes by virtue of a side being dismissed for a big-gish score and one bowler happening to pick up half the wickets or more - as opposed to a match winning five wicket haul where the side are bowled out for a score well below par and setting the bowling side up in box seat.

So that's a routine 5wi to go with a hundred when the runs don't matter, slightly more important as the wickets were taken when it matters but still not so much Michael Yawn should be getting excited in the crotch area as he has been.

As for Borthwick, well England don't have a great history of leggies and the quest to find a Warne has always stumbled at every hurdle, just like the incessant quest to find the next Botham or indeed convert keepers into Gilchrist :facepalm

The aussies were always going to target him, are the selectors stupid? I would have to go back through a lot of 80s, 90s and indeed 00s scorecards to make this a definite worst, but this could be one of the worst England XIs of all time. Even in the 90s the side had a few good players, might be worth a thread.

----------

Where are all the Stokes doubters now? England's highest individual score (and their only century), second highest batting average, second most wickets, second best bowling figures. Hmm

Won a match yet? No. Scored a hundred in the heat of battle rather than a token one when the match was lost? No. Taken a match winning 5wi? No, although England haven't yet lost this match but I meant in terms of bowling the opposition out for a low score as opposed to eventually polishing them off.

I'm not convinced he is a number six, nothing about his ability. And as five wicket hauls go I'm unconvinced, had he knocked over Smith and Haddin before they got the aussies back in it fair enough, but picking them off when the innings is winding down plus a couple of lower order batsman is what makes up a bog standard 5wi.

As for going second in the bowling averages, I think you'll find it's third in ENGLAND's series averages where the third best was over 40 so it's hardly the accolade you're trying to make it sound.

England bowling averages 13/14

Broad : 19 wkts @ 27.42
Tremlett : 4 wkts @ 30.00
STOKES : 13 wkts @ 33.08
Bresnan : 5 wkts @ 41.20
Anderson : 12 wkts @ 47.42

Rest are at 80+ per wicket, Stokes' average is now modest, ordinary, whatever you want to call it.

As for second in the batting, on 33.33 and would only take a small swing around for him to not be with Bell on 31.00 and Cook on 29.00. Most of the ones just below have been axed, all eggs in one basket with a f**king great big hole in the bottom.

His token hundred aside when the game was lost, fields back etc, 80 runs in five innings is his mark on the series and a whopping 52 in four @ 13.00 when the runs could have counted for something (also made a 28 when the game was already lost, when he could have helped win a match last time around he made 14 and 19, and took 1/46 and 1/50)

Statisically 33.33 and 33.08 look quite good, so far, but in terms of crucial performances he's picked up the pieces in a bowling performance once and scored a hundred when it doesn't matter.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Stokes got 6 wickets but bowled way too many short balls and allowed Haddin and Smith to get going after lunch. Hard to criticise him but he's not a first change test bowler.

dancingmongoose

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I think you'll find it's third in ENGLAND's series averages

Please learn to read

And yes, third not second. Not that Tremlett is close to the team, still better the 'class' of Swann and Anderson

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
@Owzat - what's up, Stokes shagged your mum or something? Rarely have I read anything more ridiculous, and I am a frequenter of the DBC Release Date thread.

The century in Perth was a fantastic innings, on a cracked and worn pitch that nobody else in the side could cope with. Given that he only played in Adelaide to balance us out with 2 spinners in the side and had hardly set the world alight there he was arguably playing for his place.

Yes he bowled too short at Haddin and Smith after lunch but who didn't there? This is a guy in his 4th test, I think mistakes are more forgivable for him. More importantly he polished off the tail - all of whom could have hung around for a while as they have earlier in the series and put Aus well past 350.

If it was a routine 5 for just because a side got a "big" score, one of our bowlers would have got a 5 for in every innings.

Is he likely to be a world beater? Not convinced. Is he likely to remain at 6 and first change? Unlikely. Is he a young all rounder who has shown a lot of promise in his firts four tests and put in a couple of very good performnces - one in each discipline? Unquestionably, and to say otherwise is ignorant and mean-spirited.

As for Bresnan - his average bowling speed at MCG was mid 70s. Of course he was going to be dropped.

PackenHols

School Cricketer
From what I have seen from Rankin and Borthwick isn't great. I would of gone with Tredwell for this match as I don't see how putting a young player into the team when the series score is 4-0 is going to help him. Simon Kerrigan played the final test when it meant nothing and it has him looking unlikely to play for England in the foreseeable future. Hopefully this doesn't happen to Borthwick.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Stokes is an interesting one, bowling looks to be his strong suit but currently is more suited as the 5th bowler as he leaks runs but batting still needs work. Definitely worth persisting as he is the one positive.

This series has been the winning over for 2 maligned players in Johnson and Haddin. Haddon is in career best form with bat and gloves, him getting a 50 in every first innings this series is bloody impressive. Great stuff by Smith, needed this 100 to show the consistency

Users who are viewing this thread