Ashes Cricket General Discussion

I've never ever bought this - I've had games out when there's a competitor and when there hasn't been. It's never been part of my decision making regarding the development of the game. Not once that I can think of. Maybe in terms of marketing/pr, but never development.

I've never know it where the people actually in charge of making the game are driven by anything other than making it as good as possible.

I suspect that the current state of affairs is more down to the developer being stretched across too many titles, driven by commercial necessity. Nothing to do with there being no other cricket game out there. I'm not sure it counts as a monopoly if even the monopoly holder cannot make money out of it: why would anyone else get involved?

I would agree with most of what you said. But honestly this notion of no money is not that convincing for me. Ill explain. Cricket is very big in about 10 counties. Take India and its population. There are more countries playing cricket then ever before. But is there a system to market and dilever games to markets that they can make money?

i think a cricket game need to have a proper marketing and delivering channel in main test playing nation. Take my country sri lanka. Cricket crazy nation of 20 million people. Almost 50% of families have a playstation or a xbox with them. Or even pc. Yet BA never had any type of marketing here. No agent, no place that people can go to a shop and buy games on the release day. I convinced about 10 friends of mine to buy it online or get it down from Dubai. Thats just bad business planning. There is money in cricket games, so far developers are not making it easy for them self really !

There is money in cricket games, so far developers are not making it easy for them self really !

Yes and that’s why all the big name developers and publishers are clamemring to make another cricket game....oh

India’s population means diddly squat if an absolutely minuscule proportion of that population would ever pay for a cricket game

India’s population means diddly squat if an absolutely minuscule proportion of that population would ever pay for a cricket game

Wow way to generalize a statement. Do you even read or just post because you deem so ? India although is standing at number 10 on video games piracy losses by country, Australia is not far behind with it being on 12 but no one would mention them why? A country with a billion number of population against a country with population in millions and just a rank down is not a huge different so stop generalizing such statements and get your facts straight.

Wow way to generalize a statement. Do you even read or just post because you deem so ? India although is standing at number 10 on video games piracy losses by country, Australia is not far behind with it being on 12 but no one would mention them why? A country with a billion number of population against a country with population in millions and just a rank down is not a huge different so stop generalizing such statements and get your facts straight.

Big Ant have alluded to the rate of piracy for previous DBC titles in India being significantly higher than that of any other region. I’m talking about cricket games - if you have some uncited information to share regarding that specifically, then that would be of use.

The conversation has been had umpteen times on this forum. It goes round in circles every time.

Big Ant have alluded to the rate of piracy for previous DBC titles in India being significantly higher than that of any other region. I’m talking about cricket games - if you have some uncited information to share regarding that specifically, then that would be of use.

The conversation has been had umpteen times on this forum. It goes round in circles every time.
I am just stating facts. Here

https://newzoo.com/insights/rankings/top-100-countries-by-game-revenues/

India with a population 1334 million only 428 million are Internet users yet India ranks 17 in the list of game revenues by country against Australia whose 22 million population is internet ready population ranked at number 14. I am not sure about DBC numbers but the number of people who bought on steam is just on normal decline. Steamdb has those numbers.

Good job the Beta thread has been created. This one has gone down the BA business planning route again.

Guys honestly, it makes 0 difference. Why can’t we just accept it and talk about something else.

...what? You’ve just completely changed what we’re talking about

That link has nothing to do with ‘losses due to piracy’ in either country, and goes to prove that the amount spent per internet user (which is an awful proxy for someone likely to buy games), is relatively low. If you’re going to attempt to use a source, at least understand how to interpret it first

Ross mentioning how badly piracy has damaged the franchise in the past - https://www.planetcricket.org/forum...-0-0-73-discussion.105200/page-5#post-3081077

And some indicative numbers of how massively underrepresented India’s market is amongst previous DBC sales - https://www.planetcricket.org/forum...eneral-discussion.81753/page-947#post-2813537

I've never ever bought this - I've had games out when there's a competitor and when there hasn't been. It's never been part of my decision making regarding the development of the game. Not once that I can think of. Maybe in terms of marketing/pr, but never development.

I've never know it where the people actually in charge of making the game are driven by anything other than making it as good as possible.

I suspect that the current state of affairs is more down to the developer being stretched across too many titles, driven by commercial necessity. Nothing to do with there being no other cricket game out there. I'm not sure it counts as a monopoly if even the monopoly holder cannot make money out of it: why would anyone else get involved?

I must say I'm honestly surprised. I don't doubt you, but I'm seriously surprised that a business developing a product wouldn't even once consider the competition either in or on it's way to the market. It's one of the biggest factors in investment to start with.

I've no doubt developers for the most part want to make titles that are as good as possible, but I'm sure that it has to be incorrect that it's the sole driving factor.

As for not being sure it's a monopoly if the monopoly holder cannot make money out of it, are you saying that the Big Ant Cricket series has been a loss-maker across all iterations? I'm surprised that DBC'17 was more or less built as a complete overhaul in that case. It almost sounds like the games were all made as a charitable labour of love to the audience.

Good job the Beta thread has been created. This one has gone down the BA business planning route again.

Guys honestly, it makes 0 difference. Why can’t we just accept it and talk about something else.

There is currently nothing in that thread. Maybe someone can create a "Thoughts on Ashes Cricket & It's Developer" thread, so those who want to can discuss it there, thus freeing up the general discussion thread for more seemly, gentlemanly backslapping etc. I have a feeling it'd get deleted before long though.

...what? You’ve just completely changed what we’re talking about

That link has nothing to do with ‘losses due to piracy’ in either country, and goes to prove that the amount spent per internet user (which is an awful proxy for someone likely to buy games), is relatively low. If you’re going to attempt to use a source, at least understand how to interpret it first

Ross mentioning how badly piracy has damaged the franchise in the past - https://www.planetcricket.org/forum...-0-0-73-discussion.105200/page-5#post-3081077

And some indicative numbers of how massively underrepresented India’s market is amongst previous DBC sales - https://www.planetcricket.org/forum...eneral-discussion.81753/page-947#post-2813537

Here is the link.

https://www.havocscope.com/video-games-piracy-losses-by-country/

I must say I'm honestly surprised. I don't doubt you, but I'm seriously surprised that a business developing a product wouldn't even once consider the competition either in or on it's way to the market. It's one of the biggest factors in investment to start with.

I've no doubt developers for the most part want to make titles that are as good as possible, but I'm sure that it has to be incorrect that it's the sole driving factor.

As for not being sure it's a monopoly if the monopoly holder cannot make money out of it, are you saying that the Big Ant Cricket series has been a loss-maker across all iterations? I'm surprised that DBC'17 was more or less built as a complete overhaul in that case. It almost sounds like the games were all made as a charitable labour of love to the audience.

There is currently nothing in that thread. Maybe someone can create a "Thoughts on Ashes Cricket & It's Developer" thread, so those who want to can discuss it there, thus freeing up the general discussion thread for more seemly, gentlemanly backslapping etc. I have a feeling it'd get deleted before long though.

It’s just boring though, you check it for info or thoughts or anything and it’s the same old thing.

What we say in here is completely and utterly irrelevant and all that occurs is little spats and arguments.

It is what it is.

People who moaned and moaned about 17 and said I’ll never support BA again.

Still bought Ashes

Ok so again, using the awful proxy of ‘internet population’ for gamers, the revenue per capita in Australia is around $56, compared to less than $2 in India. If we’re to trust this data, then the Indian market hardly as value in this sense.

And then given the piracy loss source is uncited in itself, I’m hardly going to believe something that says Italy, with an ‘internet population’ roughly twice the size of Australia is somehow pirating nearly 11 times as much in revenue. Using the awful proxy of internet population again, that’s $19 pirated for every single user. EVERY SINGLE PERSON using the internet in Italy would have to steal a crappy Steam game (on average). Could Italy be ranked 1st? Sure, but those numbers are so clearly wonky. It doesn’t even give a currency...

It’s so clearly junk, uncited data that shouldn’t form the basis of any opinion or discussion. I feel dumb and embarrassed for even giving it this much attention.

My point stands - India has not shown the propensity to legally engage with the cricket game market to the same extent as other markets. This isn’t a new thought, it’s been mentioned plenty of times on here. It isn’t an assumption - we have a CEO of a company which has made a cricket game telling us this.

Yes and that’s why all the big name developers and publishers are clamemring to make another cricket game....oh

@Snowy , I dont buy this "we dont make money from Cricket" propoganda.

I have been on the Academy Plenty of times , and have had at some points over 8 000 Users online with me at the same moment on the PS4 .

So only using those figures as a bare minimum , without considering the amount of players not online , or on Xbox or PC , it gets to a figure of 8 000 x R 850 (Average Price of Digital Unit in South Africa) = R 6.8 million ?

How is this not being profitable ?

Take into consideration they Self Published , and in SA there werent even Physical Copies available , only Digital Downloads.

So whats the Costs of producing this game , bearing in mind that the majority of Code was written in DBC 14 already?

@Snowy , I dont buy this "we dont make money from Cricket" propoganda.

I have been on the Academy Plenty of times , and have had at some points over 8 000 Users online with me at the same moment on the PS4 .

So only using those figures as a bare minimum , without considering the amount of players not online , or on Xbox or PC , it gets to a figure of 8 000 x R 850 (Average Price of Digital Unit in South Africa) = R 6.8 million ?

How is this not being profitable ?

I imagine you’d be unaware of average Australian salaries if you’re asking that question, or simply wholesale business for that matter.

For arguments sake, $1 in the black is profitable, but it’s hardly worthwhile or enticing is it?

I’m leaving this here, it’s not going to go anywhere worthwhile.

Users who are viewing this thread