NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Klassen wont be missed. Even though he is a great limited overs batsman, his test presence wont be missed due to the fact he has only played 4 tests.

Viper.

County Cricketer
SRH...
Perth Scorchers
Profile Flag
Netherlands
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Heinrich Klaasen reites

End of Test cricket is nearer than you think
Sarcasm I hope?

Klaasen retiring from Tests = Rahane retiring from T20Is
Post automatically merged:

Has this guy retired? Not sure why he is being celebrated in NZ these days....If he is retired, can anyone link an article for the same?
Not officially but I think there is a clear communication from NZ to him that they won't pick him anymore and he's probably gonna announce retirement any day.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner

Has this guy retired? Not sure why he is being celebrated in NZ these days....If he is retired, can anyone link an article for the same?

A testimonial isn’t really an indication for a retirement and he’s still in okay-ish form and has enough pedigree to get some T20 deals. Having said that it wouldn’t surprise me if he does decide to call it a day.

Bevab

Staff Member
The most unique pacer over the last decade finally decides to call it a day.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Another Protean export. Sometimes, I think, what if, just what if, SA was devoid of all of its problems- they certainly would have been a feared opposition with quality players all throughout.

Bevab

Staff Member
Another Protean export. Sometimes, I think, what if, just what if, SA was devoid of all of its problems- they certainly would have been a feared opposition with quality players all throughout.

If you believe he would be playing ahead of prime Steyn, Morne and Philander I’d like whatever you’re having please.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Nah, he wouldn't have played ahead of them. However, the bench could have been stronger.

Also, if you look at the likes of Pietersen, Elliott, etc, SA of today would have definitely been on par with the SA of the 1990s for sure.

Bevab

Staff Member
Nah, he wouldn't have played ahead of them. However, the bench could have been stronger.

Also, if you look at the likes of Pietersen, Elliott, etc, SA of today would have definitely been on par with the SA of the 1990s for sure.

Pietersen was a mediocre off spinner when he was in SA. He wouldn’t have turned into one of the best test batters of his time if he had continued his development there. I do think that’s an important thing that people seem to miss when it comes to SA losing out on talents; many of them emigrated very early and frequently due to non-cricket reasons, some of them were nowhere near the skill level at that time (like Wagner and Elliott) or had stagnated (like Conway). A lot of their best development to bring them to the level of international cricket happened outside of the SA system.

I also think too much emphasis is placed on the ‘ones lost’ so to speak because it holds a compelling narrative. In reality Elliott (as much as I like him) wouldn’t have played anywhere near the same number of games for SA because there were other domestic all-rounders capable of offering what he did.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I hear you. It is always a case of 'what ifs?'. There's definitely no guarantee that these guys would have played the same number of games for SA. I mean, even if MSD, VK were to give up on Indian dreams and move elsewhere, the systems would have their bearing on them.

In the years to come, someone might even say the same about the talents the world has seemingly lost to USA of late.

Bevab

Staff Member
I hear you. It is always a case of 'what ifs?'. There's definitely no guarantee that these guys would have played the same number of games for SA. I mean, even if MSD, VK were to give up on Indian dreams and move elsewhere, the systems there would have their own bearing on them.

In the years to come, someone might even say the same about the talents the world has seemingly lost to USA of late.

As an example, Akash Singh currently has quite mediocre numbers for a domestic pacer and one stint as an injury replacement in the IPL. If he were to leave for the US I doubt anyone would particularly miss him from a national perspective. However if he does develop to an international standard in the next few years owing to the MLC and freelancing in T20 leagues around the world everyone outside of the Indian fandom would have conversations similar to what you say would happen even if we know his career would have never panned out in a similar fashion if he were still with Rajasthan’s domestic team.

Users who are viewing this thread