Batting too easy on Hard/Hardest difficulty levels

chaman82

County Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Footwork is equally important against faster bowlers too. Obviously you won't get as close to the pitch of the ball for pacers as you will for spinners but you still need to move your feet to cover for the line and be close enough so lateral movement doesn't beat you. The lateral movement for a pacer is not as much as the amount of turn a spinner can get and that's why you don't need to be that close enough. But if you don't move and get stuck in the crease you risk being bowled off half volleys as well as there would be large enough distance between the bat and the ball for lateral movement to beat you. And that's why it's so difficult to come up against genuine pace as you don't get enough time to get your feet in the right place and also there's a fear factor at the back of your mind about "what if it's a short one?" This foot movement may not be as important on truer or flat wkts but becomes crucial if there's swing/seam movement and the reason why batting in Eng is so different from batting in Aus. Even a foot or foot and a half of movement in the right direction to cover for line and getting closer to the pitch of the ball makes a huge difference against the pacers.

Adding to the complexity of cricket getting to the pitch of the ball is true only for front foot drives. You need a different system for backfoot (drives/punches) and horizontal shots (cuts & pulls). Unlike front foot drives where you want to try and get as close to the pitch of the ball, you need to increase the distance between where the ball pitched and when you play the shot so that you get enough time to judge line, length and height of the shortish delivery. For backfoot the ball needs to be short enough for the batsman to judge line, length & height of the ball, and if it's too full you end up risking an edge or playing on. Speed becomes a crucial factor as the faster it is, more difficult to judge line, length, height and get in a position to hook/pull or punch the ball. That is why there's a dilemma for just short of good length deliveries, i.e. whether to go on the front or the back foot. That's the "length of uncertainty" and is different for every pitch depending on the bounce and is analogous to the "corridor of uncertainty" for judging line (i.e. whether to leave or play the ball). If you decide to play the good/slightly short of good length on front foot and it's too short then you risk i) the ball getting big on you and you, or ii) end up edging the ball as there's too much distance between where the ball pitched and you for you to cover for lateral movement. If you decide to play on the back foot and the ball is fuller than you think then there won't be enough distance between where the ball pitched and you to judge line, length & height properly and risk i) edging the delivery or playing on, or ii) top edging the delivery in case of pull/hook.

That's exactly what's happening with me currently.
Judgement of length line and the good length balls in the corridor of uncertainty just outside off.

Playing the ball on its merit bringing gr8 results, slightly off and wkts edges

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
That's exactly what's happening with me currently.
Judgement of length line and the good length balls in the corridor of uncertainty just outside off.

Playing the ball on its merit bringing gr8 results, slightly off and wkts edges

I find it very surprising given my experience with batting in the game. Change in batting camera (I use "Far Batsman" and you prefer "Pro Cam") or HUD should not result in gameplay changes.

chaman82

County Cricketer
I find it very surprising given my experience with batting in the game. Change in batting camera (I use "Far Batsman" and you prefer "Pro Cam") or HUD should not result in gameplay changes.

Yes ur correct.
I'm actually having a gr8 experience.

May b the option of having ball marker early is creating trouble.
For 6 hitting reduce the shot power and try

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Yes ur correct.
I'm actually having a gr8 experience.

May b the option of having ball marker early is creating trouble.
For 6 hitting reduce the shot power and try

I lowered the ball marker display time to 26 (or 25) and that's the lowest I need so as not to pre-meditate. As for shot power I tried a few matches not using the lofted shots but the thing is that it only lowers the RR from 14+ to 8 or 9 but doesn't do much with respect to "risk & reward". I can continue scoring runs easily along the ground but the whole point is that there should be some level of risk attached to playing certain shots. This risk-reward piece is the problem IMO and not the shot power.

Probably I can tweak the batting camera and HUD to a setting where I start getting edges but what's the point in playing when I'm not enjoying it much? I prefer "Far Batsman" camera after getting used to it since DBC 14 days and prefer the ball marker HUD around the ball. Changing these settings just to add an element of difficulty artificially should not be the way forward IMO. On a green, soft, uneven track with overcast conditions, batting should be hell no matter what camera or HUD options I choose. That's the main issue as currently the game is too arcadey for my tastes and conditions don't make an iota of a difference.

riteshagl

County Cricketer
Batting is surely easy in this game but it becomes all the more easy due to the silly AI fields. Even if i decide to not abuse the LT button and play normal ground shots, its pretty easy to score 8 to 10 runs an over. No doubt it lacks edges but at the same time AI fields are damn silly. I think most of the AI fields should to tuned in such a way that they have a square fielder and deep cover point. This is because clipping to the leg side and hitting towards cover point are pretty easy shots in the game. And if there is a boundary rider in these 2 positions, atleast the boundaries will not be conceded and will be restricted to just a single.
Also, the bowlers hardly bowl as per their fields. They tend to mostly bowl atleast 2 balls on leg side irrespective of the their field setting.
I believe big ant should pay attention to all 4 issues in order to a have balance batting experience i.e. General easy batting, lack of edges, AI field setting and bowler bowling as per field setting. Incase they end up fixing one or two of the 4 issues, batting will still be not as balanced and people will find it easy to score runs even on higher difficulty settings. I think all 4 issues are equally important and need attention.

sheharyar

Club Cricketer
I am playing on pc, I like the new animations, shots and stuff. Bowling has improved a lot with all sorts of dismissals now available.

However, I have to agree that batting is very easy.

I can play every ball on rise without getting a single edge. I guess edge dynamics for the user batting were pretty good in DBC 17.

So batting balance, AI feild stability and chasing of AI (best I have seen was in International cricket 2010, every match was so much fun) should be considered a priority I guess to improve the game.

Moreover, academy doesnt have any league teams kits updated other than may be BBP and IPL at the moment.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Footwork is equally important against faster bowlers too.

Driving vs spin is really different from driving against pace. Precise footwork is significantly more important vs spin. That's just a dead simple cricket fact.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Driving vs spin is really different from driving against pace. Precise footwork is significantly more important vs spin. That's just a dead simple cricket fact.

It is for the simple reason that spinners tend to spin the ball a lot more than a pacer can move the ball laterally (seam/swing). But it doesn't change the fact that you still need to cover for the line of the ball else you will get caught with your feet in the crease and end up edging or missing the ball a lot more.

hiyagasriiniyavan

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
friends i saw more videos from ashes game past some days,there batsman DEFEND the BALL (RT with R stick) going boundaries in STRAIGHT,SQUARE and GULLY,but cannot able to play that shots why?

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
My simplest solution would be to base the edges on foot placement (the horizontal movement) and the amount of swing/seam factor (which should part random and partly based on pitch conditions , bowlers skill and bowl conditions) , most importantly not every bowl swing/seam the same way so when you bowl an outswinger it doesn't swing the exact amount again and again lets for instance the AI bowl you an outswinger just outside off and the bowl swings massively (not your normal outswing but a biggy one) and you didn't flick your LS to 8' Oclock but instead at 7' Oclock that should result in an edge and vice versa for LBW and Bowleds. Through in the timing factor (say perfectly timing the ball may save you from an edge due to your poor foot work and viceversa) and violla you get the perfect solution to edges.

You will keep on your toes under bowling favorable conditions and against higher quality bowlers that what if the incoming bowl is a massive swinging delivery that could castle the stump or get me to edge.

That is real cricket where you have to be precise about your horizontal footwork under bowling friendly conditions so as to avoid getting edged , LBW or Bowled.

Last edited:

Pat

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
friends i saw more videos from ashes game past some days,there batsman DEFEND the BALL (RT with R stick) going boundaries in STRAIGHT,SQUARE and GULLY,but cannot able to play that shots why?

The RT is analog. If you fully press it, the ball will end up near batsman after defending. However, if you press it just a little, you can have more power to your defensive shots.

Dean johnes

Club Captain
I hear you but IMO it needs to be addressed ASAP as give folks a couple of days to get used to batting animations and they will see there's barely a challenge. And that's why I tagged Big Ant folks coz this is a major issue at the moment - even bigger than the poor AI fields. Without a proper balance between bat & ball what's the point?
Batting animation are not playing shots according to the ball red balls medium backfoot cut pull and front foot cut pull it's no where near the ball as it more affecting online gameplay.Even the cut shot going straight. As ai does not ball with much variations .

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
The RT is analog. If you fully press it, the ball will end up near batsman after defending. However, if you press it just a little, you can have more power to your defensive shots.

Can you explain this a bit please because I think these are the shots the CPU was playing against me, so you press down RT and then press a direction and "Y" to do the defensive shot or do you aim with the stick?

What do you mean by RT is analog? RT is a backfoot drive do you mean Right Stick?

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Can you explain this a bit please because I think these are the shots the CPU was playing against me, so you press down RT and then press a direction and "Y" to do the defensive shot or do you aim with the stick?

What do you mean by RT is analog? RT is a backfoot drive do you mean Right Stick?

He means "Right Trigger" or RT on Xbox One and R2 on PS4 - the lower most shoulder button on the right hand side of the controller. Apparently the more you press it the closer the ball will be defended near the batsman.

Reactions: Pat

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Batting is surely easy in this game but it becomes all the more easy due to the silly AI fields. Even if i decide to not abuse the LT button and play normal ground shots, its pretty easy to score 8 to 10 runs an over. No doubt it lacks edges but at the same time AI fields are damn silly. I think most of the AI fields should to tuned in such a way that they have a square fielder and deep cover point. This is because clipping to the leg side and hitting towards cover point are pretty easy shots in the game. And if there is a boundary rider in these 2 positions, atleast the boundaries will not be conceded and will be restricted to just a single.
Also, the bowlers hardly bowl as per their fields. They tend to mostly bowl atleast 2 balls on leg side irrespective of the their field setting.
I believe big ant should pay attention to all 4 issues in order to a have balance batting experience i.e. General easy batting, lack of edges, AI field setting and bowler bowling as per field setting. Incase they end up fixing one or two of the 4 issues, batting will still be not as balanced and people will find it easy to score runs even on higher difficulty settings. I think all 4 issues are equally important and need attention.
I think this is a bigger issue and could be resolved before actually making tweaks to the batting aspect of the game to see what the results would be. When the coincidence, and it unfortunately feels that way, happens of a good field and good bowling then batting can become tough. Sadly what often happens is too many bowlers offer up balls that can be easily manoeuvred into gaps - gaps which might not be there were the fields adjusted slightly or maybe if fields were linked to bowler skill in some way. More defensive fields should be used for weaker bowlers.

I'd love to see the Bowling Mentalities just revamped or simplified cause I'm sure they cause a lot of the problems with the deliveries that are bowled.

Users who are viewing this thread