Australian Domestic Cricket

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
NSW, i think are back on track for success again, the reason why they've been so good for so long was because of their investment into the youngsters. They've kinda dropped that since Steve Smith got into the international scene it seems. Queensland has a super young team, and yet they won the Shield last season, not a single player is over 30. Youngsters are key in the domestic scene.
They may have invested in them in the past.. but as you point out they no longer do. This is despite the Blues winning almost all national youth titles and unearthing a crop of promising cricketers. How long must the likes of Arjun Nair (played Premier Cricket Firsts since age 15), Daniel Fallins, Henry Thornton, Param Uppal and Jason Sangha sit on the sidelines while other states are playing their best youngsters and having great success as Qld cricket has shown. These kids must be feeling disillusioned. Two others the Blues should be investing in by fast tracking are Ryan Hadley a right arm bowler and Ryan Hackney a top order bat.

Last edited:

Prequel

User Title Purchaser
AUS..
Brisbane Heat
Profile Flag
Australia
Sean Abbott just hasn't been the same since the Phillip Hughes incident, which is too be expected. After the incident his career kinda took a toll. He was getting some international call-ups, but now, nothing. He had a decent BBL season back in the 2016 - 2017 season but thats it.

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
There were big wraps on Abbott when he first came onto the FC scene.. The next big thing in all rounders.. the pundits said. But even before the Hughes tragedy he was proving inconsistent. Scribe Ben Horne is all over Sabba's double five for.. but has bipassed his sole wicket in first two games for around 7 runs per over.

Last edited:

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
How impressive is Josh Philippe ..pronounced Phil-eep according to my French friend. I have footage of him taking an attack apart last year in a Shield game with some of the sweetest timed drives against a swinging Dukes ball. His problem was he could not convert his starts throwing away his wicket to a rush of blood. Under coach Adam Voges he looks to have matured. Now he is not trying to hit every ball.. is more selective, has a solid defence but still smokes the loose delivery. Even some not so loose. Loved his use of the feet against teen spinner O'Connell today.

Last edited:

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
The Cricket Australia Pathways Program has one glaring flaw in its effort to prepare Australia's best young cricketers for a First Class career. Up until they begin Premier Cricket all these young cricketers play are white ball formats. Is it any wonder then that some of them do not have the technique needed to survive the immense pressure of top class red ball cricket. A prime example is Blues teen Jack Edwards. A man with an astute cricket brain former Test captain Kim Hughes pointed out Edward's diabolical technique in the JLT Cup match this week. Prior to meeting the ball the youngster moves his back leg deep into his crease and well to the leg side exposing his off stump. There has been no attempt by his junior coaches to get him behind and over the ball at the point of contact. With that technique he is always playing away from his body. This is unforgiveable CA and must be addressed asap.

Last edited:

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
Jake Weatherald is in some healthy early season form. The stylish leftie just posted another JLT 50. Another solid Shield and I have him claiming a spot on the next Ashes tour.

Nick Winter.. the leftie swing sensation in last season's Shield.. is finally making his Redback debut for this year. The Canberran had 25 wickets from three matches at one stage in the second half of the Shield. He is my smokie for next years Ashes.

Last edited:

Mijurkat

Mystery Monarch
India
CSK
Islamabad
Sydney Thunder
Southern Brave
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Jake Weatherald is a star. After 2019 WC, he will get his chance. It's Short v/s Jake.

Mijurkat

Mystery Monarch
India
CSK
Islamabad
Sydney Thunder
Southern Brave
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Sean Abbott just hasn't been the same since the Phillip Hughes incident, which is too be expected. After the incident his career kinda took a toll. He was getting some international call-ups, but now, nothing. He had a decent BBL season back in the 2016 - 2017 season but thats it.

Australian selectors looking for consistent players. Sean Abbott is decent, but insecure about his own game. For him Sixer's lost many matches against Scorchers. Abbott need a county call up.

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
Jake Weatherald is a star. After 2019 WC, he will get his chance. It's Short v/s Jake.

I was thinking more along the lines of Test cricket for Jake. He seems to have a solid technique. For mine the number one priority for Test cricket. I wanna see Josh Philippe fast tracked into our ODI side.

Mijurkat

Mystery Monarch
India
CSK
Islamabad
Sydney Thunder
Southern Brave
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
I was thinking more along the lines of Test cricket for Jake. He seems to have a solid technique. For mine the number one priority for Test cricket. I wanna see Josh Philippe fast tracked into our ODI side.

I wanna see Josh Philippe more, BBL 2018-19 will be a great platform for him. Jake need to score runs this November, against India in tour matches. I think Renshaw and Finch, will play a huge role this year in UAE.

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
I wanna see Josh Philippe more, BBL 2018-19 will be a great platform for him. Jake need to score runs this November, against India in tour matches. I think Renshaw and Finch, will play a huge role this year in UAE.
Do you have the tour match schedule? I have not seen it.[DOUBLEPOST=1538027082][/DOUBLEPOST]Has Jordan Silk got his career back on track after years battling form loss and depression.. Has started the season with heavy runs.

Queenslander Mike

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
Agree with you there. This is the year Ben needs to push his first class record up, at 24 now he has a small amount of experience and now could shine with excellent performances and slot into the baggy green in all forms of the game. Australia still needs a decent batsman at No6 IMO. After 4 games an average of 100 has to be noticed, but will it be when he plays for Tasmania?
Jordan Silk has a fair amount of experience, but overall fairly poor return, so much so he needs these performances consistently to continue to be selected, afterall an average of 30 at first class level for a batsman is a questionable selection. IMO it is probably more indicative of where he was born and the early coaching he received, where one off performances are highly promoted and the more consistent poor performances are glossed over. eg Kurtis Patterson only has 5 100's from 52 FC matches yet gets a call up to the Australian A side, the stepping stone for the baggy green, go figure.

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
Mike welcome to the forum. Patterson is on notice.. convert those 50s or dont expect a Baggy Green. To be fair Patto does have a decent FC average @40. That is healthier than the other two blokes picked ahead of him for UAE in Labu and Head, whose conversion rate is not all that much better than Pattersons.

Mate call me Baggers or Roo.

Users who are viewing this thread