Fielding mechanics

maddawg1136

Club Captain
Profile Flag
New Zealand
Hey guys, been playing cricket 19 for a few days now, predominantly with human vs human against my brother. We’re loving the batting and bowling and believe it is a real step up from previous editions of the game.

One thing that frustrates the hell out of us though is the fielding. No matter who you field with and their fielding rating everyone seems so slow in the field, it is not realistic for first class and international standards, and in most cases even the fielding standard in real life club cricket would be better.

I find it way too easy to just hit it straight to a fielder and get a run every time with the fielders taking way to long to get to the ball, pick it up, and throw it. The game would be much more enjoyable if the fielders were more fluid and fast, where balls hit straight to fielders well inside the inner circle could result in a run out not only from a direct hit but also with a good throw and the keeper taking the bails off.

That brings me to my next point, the throwing. The amount of time the ball is just lobbed back to the bowler or keeper when I run out chance is on is appalling. I do realise getting the fielding bar into the green results in a decent throw but even then it’s still not up to the standard I’d expect. Furthermore, a throw which stays in the blue section should still be powerful just maybe not as accurate as you see the high level players still have the same amount of power on their throws, it’s just the accuracy that would be an issue.

This problem means chasing 6 an over is relatively easy by just hitting the ball into the outfield and running, and setting a field to stop this means the fielders would have to be only metres from the bat, resulting in an easy opportunity to hit over the infield.

Even in career mode quick singles can be taken that probably would result in a run out in real life. So the AI fielding is also a bit slow.

I feel improving this aspect of the game would enhance the gameplay so much and make the experience more enjoyable.

I hope @MattW and others at bigant can look into this and tweak some things for a future patch!

I am interested in everyone else’s opinion on the fielding and to see their suggestion to improve this experience.
Cheers

Sahil70

Club Captain
Fielding hasn't improved much from ashes cricket. The loopy throws , while lesser now is still there , more so from close fielders trying to get a quick throw to keeper/bowler. Boundary fielders often don't seem to be able to drag the ball back in close to the boundary causing 4. Lack of run out ( for whatever reason) is very frustrating. Its a mode of dismissal , as is stumpings, and to not have either of those in a cricket game is just not acceptable. Ive noted that if bowler or close fielder misfields and the non striker wanders out of the crease there's no response on the controller to throw at the stumps. And of course there is the outfield catches dropping short of fielder.

Gamefroggy

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Fielding hasn't improved much from ashes cricket. The loopy throws , while lesser now is still there , more so from close fielders trying to get a quick throw to keeper/bowler. Boundary fielders often don't seem to be able to drag the ball back in close to the boundary causing 4. Lack of run out ( for whatever reason) is very frustrating. Its a mode of dismissal , as is stumpings, and to not have either of those in a cricket game is just not acceptable. Ive noted that if bowler or close fielder misfields and the non striker wanders out of the crease there's no response on the controller to throw at the stumps. And of course there is the outfield catches dropping short of fielder.
They couldn’t fix it in Ashes 17 and is highly unlikely that it will be fixed in Cricket 19. It almost looks like they copy and pasted some data from Ashes 17 into Cricket 19.

Sahil70

Club Captain
They couldn’t fix it in Ashes 17 and is highly unlikely that it will be fixed in Cricket 19. It almost looks like they copy and pasted some data from Ashes 17 into Cricket 19.

one can only hope for some kind of a fix, but yeah wouldn't be at all surprised if its allowed to go through to the keeper :rolleyes

Mr Snrub

International Coach
I spent a lot of time making sure all the players in an International squad have fielding stats around 70%+ (as I don't believe anyone would get into an International top tier team without that) and I can tell you it makes a difference. Some of the stats are far too low in some of the teams/players. Even still, it's not quite enough, there are still some very slow efforts for sure. Especially from diving stops, it's like the player has died for 2-3 seconds before being able to get up and throw it back.

So yeah make some big changes yourselves and try it. It gets things closer to how it needs to be, but there are still slow reactions and I hope Big Ant can make a small adjuestment, as some of it's down to low stats.

Spickery

PlanetCricket Writing Team
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I completely agree with the OP. Fielding was the one major aspect of the game I was hoping Big Ant would improve and I can remember posting about it before the game released. Sadly though it hasn't improved since Ashes and sneaking singles is way too easy when batting. I also have never managed to achieve a run-out in my many hours of playing.

Hopefully Big Ant takes this feedback on board and makes the needed improvements, as they are doing in every released patch for Cricket 19.

i.n

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I spent a lot of time making sure all the players in an International squad have fielding stats around 70%+ (as I don't believe anyone would get into an International top tier team without that) and I can tell you it makes a difference. Some of the stats are far too low in some of the teams/players. Even still, it's not quite enough, there are still some very slow efforts for sure. Especially from diving stops, it's like the player has died for 2-3 seconds before being able to get up and throw it back.

So yeah make some big changes yourselves and try it. It gets things closer to how it needs to be, but there are still slow reactions and I hope Big Ant can make a small adjuestment, as some of it's down to low stats.

i.n

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
Hi Mate How Do You Go About Changing the stats . because when i go into the academy click on to certain player press x on ps4 nowt happens please .?

Mr Snrub

International Coach
Hi Mate How Do You Go About Changing the stats . because when i go into the academy click on to certain player press x on ps4 nowt happens please .?

Go into Academy, then go into Player Creator. Go into Manage Male Payers, press square to go into Filter. Type in the surname of the player you wish to edit, select accept. Click X on your player, use R1 to move tabs to skills and then edit skills. Press circle to exit.

As you go through the process, you'll gradually find plenty of players with low fielding stats, due to being created by other users, not software developers.

Reactions: i.n

i.n

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
Thank You Very Much Buddy.

Faraznafees

School Cricketer
The controls show that you can use the L2 trigger to dive while fielding and use the right analog stick for some other fielding function. However none of them seem to work. Ive tried diving at boundaries or stop an easy boundary chase by pressing L2 in hopes the fielder would dive/slide but nothing happened. Any help?

GuyIncognito

Chairman of Selectors
AUS..
RCB...
MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The controls show that you can use the L2 trigger to dive while fielding and use the right analog stick for some other fielding function. However none of them seem to work. Ive tried diving at boundaries or stop an easy boundary chase by pressing L2 in hopes the fielder would dive/slide but nothing happened. Any help?

When it comes to diving, well there is no help, only zuul.

Users who are viewing this thread