Story Three Lions on the Shirt? - Match Day: Northamptonshire fight back!!!

When will Tom Baker get his England call up?

• Total voters

Jit

International Cricketer
lol i told u guys tom will make himself a hero somehow and he did. great work tom keep it up

Griffo

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Have you collectedyour stats as the story has gone on? Id like to know your stats

Highlander999

ICC President
Around the Grounds

Back home I switched on Sky Sports to watch "Around the Grounds" the summary of all County Cricket whch had recently taken place.

fanball_logo.jpg

Welcome to the Sky Sports Review of this week's games.

First of at Canterbury, Kent won a thrilling match against Warwickshire. After bowling Warwickshire out for a very low total, Kent made it very hard work for themselves with young rookie Tom Baker coming to the rescue with a well made half-century, backed up well by Andrew Hall. Young, Baker, showed a lot of determination playing on, despite having a very bad leg injury which need stitches later on. This win carries on Kent's good form.

Meanwhile at Taunton, Somerset continued to re-build there season with a good win against the Foxes. After putting the Foxes in to bat on a green wicket, Somerset skittled them over for 163, with Andy Caddick picking up 4 wickets. Somerset then easily chased down the runs with Tresco finishing on 73*

Cricket20052008-04-0422-49-26-01.jpg

Sussex continued there good start to the season with a very good win over Yorkshire. Sussex won the toss and decided to bat first on a pitch which promised to help the spinners later on. Sure enough after posting a very good total, with Prior, Adams and Wright all making half-centuries, Mushtaq Ahmed went on to wrip apart the Yorkshire top order picking up 7 wickets! Yorkshire were only saved a humiliating defeat by Cork and Gough showing some spirit but it was too little too late.

Cricket20052008-04-0422-49-28-79.jpg

Hampshire were facing Gloucestershire. Gloucestershire were looking to bounce back from last week's defeat to Kent and they did just that. Batting first on a green wicket, Hampshire failed to bowl a tight enough line with Spearman and Adshead putting on a 125 run stand for the first wicket. Gloucestershire amassed 268 off their 45 overs and then shone with the ball with Kirby and Lewis picking up 3 wickets apiece. Hampshire appeared to be struggling without Mascarenhas and are going to miss him for a long time due to the IPL.

Cricket20052008-04-0422-49-32-28.jpg

Glamorgan have made the best start to the season for a long time and they continued this start, with a superb win over Nottinghamshire. Glamorgan batted first with Kemp making a classy 100. Nottinghamshire completely collapsed being 45/6 at one stage. Luckily Broad and Read were able to have a 95 run stand before Broad was trapped LBW by Croft. Glamorgan are looking very dangerous this season with a very young team. Are the Glamorgan of old back?

Cricket20052008-04-0422-49-35-56.jpg

Sussex were once again in action, this time against Durham. Looking to carry on from there impressive win against Yorkshire, Sussex chose to bat first with Luke Wright opening the batting. The youngster really showed his class with a good knock of 67 on a pitch which greatly assisted the bowlers. In response Durham really struggled with Collingwood being the main contributor.

Cricket20052008-04-0422-49-38-53.jpg

Somerset were once again at home, this time against Surrey. In the best display of the season by Somerset, they bowled Surrey out for just 161, with both Butcher and Ramprakash making ducks. In response the Somerset openers quickly made the runs with Tresco and Langer both looking in good touch

Cricket20052008-04-0422-49-41-28.jpg

Hampshire were looking to bounce back from there recent defeat in this FC clash with Middlesex. A mediocre batting display was really shown up when Middlesex ammased 570/6 with Andrew Strauss making a double-century! Strauss has looked in superb touch recently and is showing everyone why he deserves his place in the team. Hampshire let themselves down in the second innngs being bowled out for 208, with Crawley top-scoring with 43. Hampshire are in real problems at the moment and will have to try and sort themselves out.

Cricket20052008-04-0422-49-45-17.jpg

Glamorgan faced a tough challenge against a buoyant Gloucestershire. Sure enough in a low scoring thriller at Sophia Gardens, Glamorgan were just edged out with the batsmen on both teams failing to impress. Gloucestershire are now looking in slightly better form and could maybe mount a surprise challenge.

Cricket20052008-04-0422-49-50-39.jpg

Notts are currently in a bit of a rut at the moment and things did not get any better for them at the Oval in a tough match against Surrey. On a turning pitch, Notts failed to really ever get going with there batsmen playing some very poor shots at times. In contrast Surrey really worked for there runs and the extra effort showed when they won by 106 runs. A good effort by Surrey, Butcher must be pleased by the spirit shown by his team.

Cricket20052008-04-0422-49-53-56.jpg

Somerset would have been looking to continue there excellent form against Durham at Chester-Le-Street. Unfortunately a day and a half were lost to rain, meaning that a draw was inevitable.

Cricket20052008-04-0422-49-58-01.jpg

Up in Lancashire one of the biggest shocks in recent history took place when a fired up Derbsyhire side completely routed Lancs. After Lancs batted first and posted a mediocre score, the Derbyshire batsmen came out flying with Di Venuto and Stubbings sharing a 173 first wicket stand with Derbyshire finally ending on 376 All Out. The Derbsyhire bowlers then destroyed the Lancashire batsmen to win by an innings and 38 runs. The Lancashire fans were not impressed and jeered thir team as they walked off. Lancashire really need to evaluate where they are going.

Cricket20052008-04-0422-50-01-65.jpg

Ravi Bopara continued to silence his critics in the match against the Foxes. In both innings he made centuries, with the Foxes living up to there name and being able to slink out of trouble with half of the final day being lost to rain resulting in a draw. Bopara has commented on how fired up he is in getting back into the England Test Squad and these two knocks won't have done him any damage.

Cricket20052008-04-0422-50-07-14.jpg

You know things are going wrong when Monty Panesar tops scores. With the bat that is. Yorkshire really showed how much of a superior team they are. Batting first they scored 337/9 with Flintoff having to retire hurt with a strained side. Northants then made, wait for it. 60!! :eek: If it had not been for Monty Panesar hitting 2 sixes at the end of the innings it would have been the lowest total in FC history. There was no coming back from that and with only a slightly better second innings after being made to follow-on, Yorkshire won by an innings and 53 runs.

Cricket20052008-04-0422-50-10-96.jpg

There were also a couple of C&G Trophy Preliminary Matches played this week.

Yet again Hampshire lost. This time against Worcester. After batting first Worcester made 266/8 with Solanki leading from the front with an unbeaten 89. Hampshire once again imploded being bowled out for 167. The Hampshire fans look very dejected and many are saying that they should not have allowed Michael Carberry to return to Kent as there top order is now looking very exposed.

Glamorgan were once again in action, this time away at Hove. Glamorgan showed real determination in this match and in what must go down as there best performance in recent years, bowling Sussex out for just 193. Glamorgan almost lost it but Croft was able to hit the winning runs, leaving the Glamorgan boys to celebrate well into the night. A complete shock, showing that Glamorgan are contriving to make this there best season in years.

Cricket20052008-04-0422-50-40-53.jpg

Well that rounds up the action for this week, let's look at the tables.

In the Liverpool and Victoria Championship, Sussex are at the top of Divison 1, with 3 wins out of 3. Hampshire meanwhile are at the bottom, yet to win a match. Kent are the only team yet to have played there 3 matches and could move up the table if they beat struggling Hampshire.

Meanwhile in the Pro45, Somerset have a 100% win record with Kent, Sussex and Leicestershire all 8 points adrift. Warwciskhire are at the bottom but have only played 2 games so far.

Cricket20052008-04-0422-51-04-04.jpg

That concludes this weeks "Around the Grounds" I hope you can join us next time.

Once again I had got a mention although only a small one. I soon went to bed as I would need to get up early for this radio interview. At the moment life couldn't get much better.

-------------------------------------

Regarding Griffo's question. I will try and post some of my stats soon

Last edited:

tonka998

Club Cricketer
Wow! A fantastic county update their with some good performances with the bat from England hopefuls Ravi Bopara, Andrew Strauss and erm.... Monty - but an awesome updates with some interesting results! :)

Keep up the good work! Very much enjoying this story! :)

thesweepmaster

County Cricketer
brilliant update mate, Northants certainly showed their quality with that fantastic 60 they made but really the ther team you've got to watch out for is Somerset, they are looking brilliant at the moment and I expect you to try and hold your nerve against them. My beloved Warwickshire are doing the usual aswell being bottom...AGAIN!

Anayway fantastic work mate, keep it up!:)

shefellover93

Club Cricketer
Fantastic update and lots of hard work must have been put into it. KUTGW and lets hope Mr. Baker can keep his run of form going!

Highlander999

ICC President
My Big Day on the Radio!

I woke up the next morning quite nervous. I had never done anything like this before and did not really know what to expect. My leg was really stiff but the stitches appeared to being doning the job. I had been told I would have to miss training but that I would be fit for the next match, which was great news. As long as I did not over do it, I would be fine. After having a quick shower and shave I made myself breakfast but did not feel that hungry. In the end I decided I might as well just leave for the studio as it was quite a long drive to get there, and I did not want to be late.

At the studio I was introduced to James Heming who would be doing the interview. He seemed a really upbeat guy and was an avid Kent fan and so we hit it off pretty well. I got shown exactly what was being done and how it all worked and eventually everyone was ready. Slowly James faded out the music.

JH: Good morning Kent. That was Amy Winehouse with "Rehab" I have with us today a very special guest, Tom Baker. Tom is a young rookie for our County Cricket Club who has already made a massive impact on the 1XI with three half-centuries and plenty of wickets so far this season. Yesterday he made another 50 despite having a massive wound in his leg. Welcome to the show Tom.

Me: Thanks James.

JH: So tell me Tom. What is it like playing a sport for a living?

Me: In my opinion it is the dream job. I wake up every morning, looking forward to the coming day. Not many people can say they get payed to do something they enjoy.

JH: Very true. So how did you get into cricket and when did you decide to play for Kent?

Me: Well I originally moved to Scotland when I was 11 and started playing a bit of cricket there. I begun to get quite good and joined my men's local 1XI before moving back to Kent. I had been planning on going to uni, but I got phoned up by the Academy asking me if I would come, for a trial, after being spotted playing in a village match. I turned up and the coaches liked what they saw and they signed me up. When I got picked for the 1XI it was one of the happiest moments of my life.

JH: I bet it was. What do you reckon of Kent's chances for this season?

Me: Well, to be honest, I have been following Kent for about 5 years now and I have never seen such a good side. We have an extremely dangerous bowling attack and although we are a bit short of batsmen as long as we don't get any injuries we should be challenging for a few trophies this season.

JH: And what are your goals for ths season?

Me: I just want to score as many runs and take as many wickets as possible. Plus I would like to help Kent get a trophy ;)

JH: Some have said you are the next Flintoff and even gone as far to call you the next Botham :eek: What do you say to that?

Me: Well it is extremely flattering to think that paople rate me against such stars of the game. Personally I feel I have a very long way to go before I am anywhere near to the standard of those two. Maybe if I work hard in the nets and perform in some matches, I might get noticed but I am content where I am at the moment

JH: We've also heard that you have spoken to Botham. Is that true?

Me: Yeah, it is. He just said he had his eye on me and that I had a lot of potential.

JH: Well that sounds pretty intense. I've just had a text asking if you have a girlfirend? :p

Me: Yes I do.

JH: What does she think about your cricket?

Me: Gemma is really suportive of me. She works long hours as a doctor and still finds time to come and watch me sometimes. I really am lucky to have her.

JH: And finally as I know everyone is dying to hear this. What made you carry on yesterday after such a horrific injury?

Me: Well I knew that we were in a lot of trouble, and myself and Andy had to really work hard to try and rescue us. If I had left when I got injured it would have put too much pressure on the tail. So I made the decision to just bear with the pain. Towards the end it was getting difficult and I could have walked but I was determined to get my half-century.

JH: Very impressive stuff indeed. Well thanks for popping in Tom. I'm sure you are very busy.

Me: Thanks for having me it was a pleasure.

JH: Coming up next, the travel report but first "Numb" by Linkin Park

As the music came on, both James and me took of our headphones,

"Cheers for that Tom. I've had people freeze before but you did really well. Some interesting stuff there."

"Thanks for that James. I'm always happy to support the local Radio Station."

After grabbing a quick snack in the cafeteria, I got in my car and headed off to training. I wasn't participating but I wanted to be there to see the team for the match against Scotland. It should be in the bag, but Scotland had won there first match of the season so we couldn't be over confident.

Last edited by a moderator:

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Purposefully had a different shade of purple for the final question? :p

Good update Tom, love the storyline behind every update!

Users who are viewing this thread