Story Three Lions on the Shirt? - Match Day: Northamptonshire fight back!!!

When will Tom Baker get his England call up?

• Total voters

tonka998

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I thought you were a keeper Tom?! Maybe you should be behind the stumps :p Anyways, great works as usual - im lovin' it! (lets hope i dont get sued for saying that!) ;)

Highlander999

ICC President
Cheers. Glad people are checking it out. I hope to have my whole career put there by the end of this story. Updates tomorrow as I have finally finished exams :happy

Highlander999

ICC President
Tuesday 2nd April

Match Day

It was a big day today. Leicestershire are a very good team and a win today would be an excellent result.

By 7:30 I had eaten my breakfast of porridge and honey :happy and had put my tracksuit on and was driving towards the ground. There was not much traffic around and I had soon arrived at the ground. As I pulled in I saw Martin arrive giving a lift to Cooky and Jimmy. Those big scrounges :p Cooky looked pretty bad and had obviously been out last night so it would probably be best for him if we were batting first :p

I headed into the changing rooms talking to Martin about the West Indies tour in South Africa. He was saying how he had never liked Graeme Smith and thought that the sooner he left the team the better. Eventually the full team had turned up and the coach started to talk to us.

"Right guys. This match is pretty important as if we are to win this we will know we have played well. The bowling attack of Willoughby, Gibson and De Freitas is very good so watch out. But we have discussed this all in training. The groundsmen have said the pitch is pretty docile so we will bat first if we win the toss. I think it is time for everyone to get ready.

Rob if you want to head into the away team's changing room and tell Paul Nixon it's time for the toss?"

We watched on the TV as the toss was conducted. Michael Atherton was there and conducting the interviews. Leicestershire won the toss:

sky-sports.jpg

MA: "So Paul you have won the toss what are you going to do?"

PN: "Well Michael I think we will bowl first. There is quite a bit of cloud cover and we have a very good swing attack so I hope they can get a few wickets. Also we have done pretty well chasing so far this season, so there's no point in breaking a winning forumla."

MA: "Also, is there any news on Darren Maddy and his suspected calf strain?"

"Yeah there is. We have decided to let him play. He seemed to be ok in the nets and is really up for this so he is going to be opening the batting."

MA: Ok thanks for that Paul. Good luck.

So Rob. Did you want to bat first?"

RK:"Yeah we did actually. We wanted to get a good high score early on to give us something to bowl at. We have a very good team here today and we feel there is a lot of potential for some high scores and entertainment for the fans."

MA:"Yes your team does look strong today especially the rookie Tom Baker."

(Everyone cheered in the changing room with me being mentioned ;))

RK:"Yeah Tom has had a very good start to the season batting very well in the first match and some outstanding bowling in the last match. At the moment he has said how he has just wanted to enjoy his cricket"

MA:"A few people have been saying he is a future England player. Any comments?"

RK:"Everyone knows that I think Tom is an England candidate. With time I think he will be an excellent all-rounder."

MA:"Ok thanks for your time Rob and good luck

Now back to the studio for....."

So we had loss the toss but would be bowling first. Matty and David started padding up preparing to head out. It was a bit overcast and quite mild so the ball might swing a bit but our boys could deal with it.

Cricket20052008-01-1008-48-56-06.jpg

As the skip arrived back into the changing rooms he put the Leicestershire team sheet on the table. I walked over to have a look at it.

old_trafford_cricket-1.jpg

There bowling attack as Nixon had said looked very dangerous. Hopefully Matt and David would be up to the challenge. They also had a few good batsmen in there so it was a pretty strong team. Nixon would also be one to look out for as his power hitting towards the end of an innings could take a match quickly out of a bowlers hands.

The umpires eventually turned up and said it was time for the openers to head out. We all cheered them and tried to boost their confidence as they left. We all began to walk up the stairs to the balcony to watch the proceedings. I was hoping for the team that I did not have to go in to early but a selfish part of me hoped I would have to, so I could try and impress any important people watching me.

Last edited:

ivanvdm15

International Cricketer
why does no one like Graeme Smith Lol
Like the Presentation of the toss
and Congratulations on SOTM
KUTGW :happy

OrderDX

International Cricketer
good update as always Tom interesting to see how the weakened team are going to do in this one nice updated first post as well! :)

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
With the overcast conditions I think bowling isn't such a bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread