0.99999... = 1

svijay

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Problem: Suppose Usain Bolt, running at a uniform speed of 9.0 m/s gives Lonesome George, crawling at a uniform speed of 0.9 m/s a head-start of 8.1 metres. How long will it take Bolt to catch up with George?

Solution 1: Bolt has 8.1 metres to make up, and his speed exceeds George's by 8.1 m/s. So it will take him exactly 1 second.

Solution 2: Bolt takes 0.9 seconds to get to where George was, by which time George has gone a further 0.81m. Bolt takes 0.09 seconds to get there, by which time George has gone another 0.081m. It will take another 0.009 seconds to make up that ground, and so on. It all adds up to precisely 0.999... seconds.

The point of bringing up this example is to get the "when" out of the debate. Most of you seem to have mental block because the equation is contingent on what is apparently a never-ending process. Well, here is something that lasts exactly 1=0.999... seconds, plus however long it takes you to understand the explanation.

Sureshot

Executive member
He runs at over 10m/s ;) In fact, he is faster than the force of gravity! (9.9m/s)

Harrypotter_fan

Panel of Selectors
0.99 recurring IS NOT 1.

It cannot be, no matter how small the difference between it and 1, it is never 1.

1 is 1.000000... Nothing else can possibly be it.

That is the way I see it, but really it depends what terms you are talking about it in - in real life practices the difference between 0.9999999 and 1 is so minimal, you may as well just call it 1.

Again, find me a fraction whose value is 0.999...

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Geez, no kidding :p

So complicated, it has lead to 9 pages of discussion. I thought Tassie and I settled this? :help

usy

Chairman of Selectors
99 = 99
1 = 1
0.999... = 0.999...
0.0999... = 0.0999...

usy = smart

usy

Chairman of Selectors
No because, every decimal thinggi, has it’s on value therefore,

Real number = Real number

Real number cannot be same as a Rational number unless the value of the first is higher then the second, and in that case if 0.999.. Is equal to 1, then 1 - 0.999 must be equal to 0.

Users who are viewing this thread