IPL 1st Semi: Delhi Daredevils v Deccan Chargers

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Ponting is wondering why Gilchrist, Hayden and Warne all retired! They're all still outclassing most players!
Exactly, but I think Hayden recently said in an interview that "Twenty20 gives you your life back". These guys can still beat the crap out of a lot of other players, but they don't want to spend so much time doing it.

siddharth2002

National Board President<br /><a href="showthread.
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think people are taking this McGrath issue too seriously. I believe Delhi lost the game 2 down in the first over and not playing Vettori. A score of 180 was defendable as that would have put lot more pressure on the likes of Gilly etc. Really what was the point in playing Warner since he didn't really set things on fire in the league games apart from his fielding.

leftarmlegspin

Club Cricketer
Warner did very well when Sehwag was injured. OK, he didn't set things on fire, as you put it, but he got solid scores of 25-30+ in most innings. The fact that their openers didn't perform well before he came in to the side would have influenced their decision to stick with him, because he was playing better than any of them and providing some sort of platform (albeit a small one) for de Villiers and Dilshan to work with.

He finished with the highest average of any of Delhi's opening batsman.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Wow, Delhi were absolutely blown out of the water. Unlucky though, they were easily the best team on show this season. Just lost at the wrong time.

siddharth2002

Warner did very well when Sehwag was injured. OK, he didn't set things on fire, as you put it, but he got solid scores of 25-30+ in most innings. The fact that their openers didn't perform well before he came in to the side would have influenced their decision to stick with him, because he was playing better than any of them and providing some sort of platform (albeit a small one) for de Villiers and Dilshan to work with.

He finished with the highest average of any of Delhi's opening batsman.
Averages don't win you IPL as have been proven to be the case with most other players too. A good spell of 2/20 from Vettori would have done the trick. And when you have a limit of 4 international foreign players than you better pick match-winners. Warner didn't win them any of the games barring one where he was fielding as a sub.

siddharth2002 added 5 Minutes and 2 Seconds later...

Wow, Delhi were absolutely blown out of the water. Unlucky though, they were easily the best team on show this season. Just lost at the wrong time.
The were playing very well but never improved as the season went on. It was a matter of time that they got caught out. I actually thought they'd make the final and then get thrashed but the openers never really struck good form. By good form I mean not making consistent 30s or 40s but an 80+ score with 200+ strike rate. This is 20/20 not one day cricket.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
So those losses Delhi had were them falling into a slump. Nannes didn't have a great tournament by his standards and now his T20 average is getting bigger although still under 20. Warner slipped off the pace after making a good start, probably his injury didn't help him in the final 2 matches. But Gambhir was the real disappointment as I expected alot more from a guy at the peak of his game and being one of the better T20 batters before this tournament.

Gilly is still awesome though and still has his knack for changing a game. Symonds should be at 4 for mind.

leftarmlegspin

Club Cricketer
Averages don't win you IPL as have been proven to be the case with most other players too. A good spell of 2/20 from Vettori would have done the trick. And when you have a limit of 4 international foreign players than you better pick match-winners. Warner didn't win them any of the games barring one where he was fielding as a sub.

He was more than worth his place. His average wasn't great, but it was better than the other openers, and so it was difficult to justify dropping him when he was their best performing top order batsman. If he had been given more games from the start, he would have hit bigger scores, and won them matches. He certainly had the potential to do so.

I agree Vettori should have played, but not in place of Warner. He should have played instead of Nannes.

siddharth2002

He was more than worth his place. His average wasn't great, but it was better than the other openers, and so it was difficult to justify dropping him when he was their best performing top order batsman. If he had been given more games from the start, he would have hit bigger scores, and won them matches. He certainly had the potential to do so.

I agree Vettori should have played, but not in place of Warner. He should have played instead of Nannes.
Well in that case, it all goes back to when the IPL started. I expected Delhi to field Warner, De Villiers, Vettori and McGrath but they went with Dilshan and Nannes combo and it worked for them unexpectedly. What they didn't plan on was giving proper breaks to each and every player. Winning and keeping momentum sure is important but that also means that you are afraid of bringing in benched players as you are afraid of loosing. Can't win anything with that mentality which is what you'd expect from Delhites.

siddharth2002 added 6 Minutes and 26 Seconds later...

lol Hes been dieting his whole life.....Hes a pure vegetarian. Dont know what else he should be dieting on. :P

He should start on chicken to get something in his brain. But seriously, captaincy is new experience to him and demands responsibility and credibility. And that hinders his natural batting process where his own failures will play up on his mind. Whereas usually under another captain such as Dhoni, he has the assurance of someone looking after the innings despite his failures.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
WTG DC! woohoo!! thats what you get for not playing McGrath the whole season!

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Did you just wake up or something? :laugh You missed Gilchrist's great batting. Too bad he couldn't reach his century. He decided to slow down and he should have keep hitting the balls.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
lol no i was at school :( my DVR is ready, so i am good to go ;)

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
i kinda agree fielding warner was an error, even though hindsight is a wonderful thing, you should field your best team not your best players. Warner was an unnecessary luxury given that dehli were gonna go with sehwag and gambhir already, he took up and overseas player spot and they had good batsmen beneath them.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
just watched the game, Gilly almost killed Yuvi's record

Users who are viewing this thread