20-20 Rankings

I agree, 20-20 is more than just go out and slog. Decision making is key.

There are tactics to T20. Spinners are effective, strike bowlers are kept until the last few overs for instance. A lot of people said the same thing about 50 over cricket when it was introduced. It now has an awful lot of tactics, some of which have been translated into Tests. Where would we be without pinch hitting?
To be honest, one of the problems I notice with limited overs cricket is the lack of acceptance for unified tactics. Michael Clarke played a beautiful hand when he gave Ishant Sharma an umbrella field first ball in the recent Aus-Ind T20. Alas, it was a rare anomaly and in itself didn't last to the next ball (not that Sharma produced a need to push the field out).

What I mean about unified tactics is that captains aren't prepared to utilise Test cricket tactics such as the umbrella field in a limited overs situation. Murali Kartik was one who bowled superbly with a Test style spinner's field back in October and as much as you must admire his 6 wickets against Australia, the recent selection of Dhoni for the captaincy proved most deserving on that day.

Ian Chappell's World Cup team bucked the trend of the siege mentality in early one-day cricket with proper slips cordons for the new ball bowlers, Chappell's doctrine being that early wickets would crush the run rate as much as any defensive field (this was some fifteen years before the introduction of the field restrictions).

I think it's time we saw more such boldness, especially in the T20s where it seems almost irrelevant how defensive your field is. The modus operandi for captains, it seems, is to watch from the hillside so long as the batting team is contained... that is until suddenly, they have felt comfortable for ten overs and have just taken the game away. It's a game where you can't simply hold a margin and run out the clock; you must continue to press the advantage to win.

Meanwhile, how often do you see a genuine edge race through the vacant slips cordon? This is exactly why these ODI batsmen get so smug!

To be honest, one of the problems I notice with limited overs cricket is the lack of acceptance for unified tactics. Michael Clarke played a beautiful hand when he gave Ishant Sharma an umbrella field first ball in the recent Aus-Ind T20. Alas, it was a rare anomaly and in itself didn't last to the next ball (not that Sharma produced a need to push the field out).

What I mean about unified tactics is that captains aren't prepared to utilise Test cricket tactics such as the umbrella field in a limited overs situation. Murali Kartik was one who bowled superbly with a Test style spinner's field back in October and as much as you must admire his 6 wickets against Australia, the recent selection of Dhoni for the captaincy proved most deserving on that day.

Ian Chappell's World Cup team bucked the trend of the siege mentality in early one-day cricket with proper slips cordons for the new ball bowlers, Chappell's doctrine being that early wickets would crush the run rate as much as any defensive field (this was some fifteen years before the introduction of the field restrictions).

I think it's time we saw more such boldness, especially in the T20s where it seems almost irrelevant how defensive your field is. The modus operandi for captains, it seems, is to watch from the hillside so long as the batting team is contained... that is until suddenly, they have felt comfortable for ten overs and have just taken the game away. It's a game where you can't simply hold a margin and run out the clock; you must continue to press the advantage to win.

Meanwhile, how often do you see a genuine edge race through the vacant slips cordon? This is exactly why these ODI batsmen get so smug!
A post rich in awesomeness.
"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to angryangy again."

Well actually most tours are 1-2 games, and as for passion, I can't really see it. A lot of sides have been resting their star players, and introducing gimmicks to the game.

This shows how much the sides take it seriously. Most of the experienced players like to sit out and let young players to take center stage.

Well it is good for that. As a way to test out young players, which I think is good.

I doubt whether T20 will ever have the offical ICC rankings.
If a nation is just going to play 7 T20 games a year,then th rankings should'nt be there at all.

VICTORIA HAVE THE BEST TWENTY 20 Players

Err...Is Victoria a country ?

Australia only played 3 Tests in 2007, but they are still in the rankings for them.

Australia only played 3 Tests in 2007, but they are still in the rankings for them.

Well,Test cricket is an established form.
I'm not trying to say that T20 is not.

THe ICC has put a cap on the number of T20's that can be played in a year.
There is no such restriction on Tests.

Secondly,i doubt whether a team that wins 7 T20's in the year would be given the T20 Championship.[The same that exists for the ODIs]

Err...Is Victoria a country ?

What the hell? Did he actually say that?
houllier.gif

is just because pakistan india srilanka bangladesh are decent in this format and australia cant win this format easy.??

Thats Rubbish. We lose a few games so all of a sudden we are no good at it?

We smashed India in the Twenty20, I think we beat New Zealand this summer in the Twenty20, we beat England last year in our home twenty20 and there not the only ones we have won.

What the hell? Did he actually say that?
houllier.gif

Well,he never said that.
As of now,we are talking about International countries and rankings and that post just should not be there.Its highly irrelevant.

T20 does not require a rankings system.A 20 over encounter as we all know can turn in anyone's favor.A team requiring 36 off the last over can also win,that does not eman that the opposition is bad.

If you want a rankings for T20,why not have one for the HK Super Sixes ?

To be honest, one of the problems I notice with limited overs cricket is the lack of acceptance for unified tactics. Michael Clarke played a beautiful hand when he gave Ishant Sharma an umbrella field first ball in the recent Aus-Ind T20. Alas, it was a rare anomaly and in itself didn't last to the next ball (not that Sharma produced a need to push the field out)...

Post of the year imo.

VICTORIA HAVE THE BEST TWENTY 20 Players
lol..Thats not allowed Dear...No matter How much they are good they won't get listed in ICC20-20 Rankings..anyway I don't Know there is list of 20-20 rankings or not..
Anyway who cares..20-20 is Blunder....
You can estimate Strengh of any team by seeing their position in ICC TEST RANKINGS.You can make list for TESTS because only best team get 1st position,like AUSSIS>..:p
20-20 is a jest to CRICKET...

Users who are viewing this thread