700 mb picture! taken by Hubble Space Telescope!The sharp!

KBC

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
700 mb picture!!! taken by Hubble Space Telescope!
The sharpest image ever taken of the large "grand design" spiral galaxy M81 was released 9. June 2007 at the American Astronomical Society Meeting in Honolulu, Hawaii.

A spiral-shaped system of stars, dust, and gas clouds, the galaxy's arms wind all the way down into the nucleus. Though the galaxy is located 11.6 million light-years away, the Hubble Space Telescope's view is so sharp that it can resolve individual stars, along with open star clusters, globular star clusters, and even glowing regions of fluorescent gas. The Hubble data was taken with the Advanced Camera for Surveys in 2004 through 2006. This colour composite was assembled from images taken in blue, visible, and infrared light.

Full Size Image
Warning! Massive file! 22620x15200p (706mb!)
Code:
http://www.spacetelescope.org/images/original/heic0710a.tif

Smaller picture for people without hightech performance machines:

Reduced Size
4000x2688p (6,2mb)
Code:
http://www.spacetelescope.org/images/publicationjpg/heic0710a.jpg

Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors
Well, it's in the humuor section so I don't expect it to be from the telescope. So I won't look.

KBC

Panel of Selectors
Oops!wrong section.Please move it mods.:D

F4rrukh

Panel of Selectors
These is quite amazing, I have looked at the smaller picture obviously and it looks very good. Nice view :).

Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors
Though the galaxy is located 11.6 million light-years away
That means we're looking at history. The light takes 11.6 million years to travel to us, so we're seeing that galaxy as it was 11.6 millions years ago.
Who knows what it looks like now! That looks phenomenal.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
That means we're looking at history. The light takes 11.6 million years to travel to us, so we're seeing that galaxy as it was 11.6 millions years ago.
Who knows what it looks like now! That looks phenomenal.

The light from the sun is in the past but not that much in the distant past. Sun light takes 8 minutes or so to reach earth.

sd92

International Coach
Awesome, so maybe one day we will be able to somehow look into the past, and see how the earth was, millions of years ago

cnbd_novice

International Coach
if we look at our nearest star it is about 2 million years ago.

The nearest star to Earth is the Sun itself, and the distance between these two objects is 146-152 million km (91-94.5 million miles). Could you please elaborate how that converts to 2 million years??

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Unless he knows the speed the Sun is traveling, he won't be able to figure out how much time there has been.

KBC

Panel of Selectors
Looks awesome! I can use it as a render in photoshop:p

[OFFTOPIC]LOL!hey i'm doing too.[/OFFTOPIC]

anyways,getting into the topic,a spaceship is in construction which will be finished in the late 2008,which travels 4-5000 Km/Ps to go to a distant place where still the light of earth did not reached.(when earth was born,there was so much light,remember?)and the spaceship is said to go to the place and get the pictures of the earth.this is probably impossible.i think so.:rolleyes:

Anyone looked at the 700 MB pic.it's like shot with a 1000 Px Camera!

Last edited:

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Anyone looked at the 700 MB pic.it's like shot with a 1000 Px Camera!

I looked at the smaller picture as I don't have the patience to wait for the 700 mb picture to load. I must say, it looks fascinating.

Users who are viewing this thread