82nd Academy Awards

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
pfft. who cares about storyline. i thoroughly enjoyed the movie and the Visual effects, action sequences were something never before seen on celluloid.

it was a visual treat, an experience.

i'd take Avatar anyday over many of the snooze fests that get the "CRITICAL ACCLAIM" ! :sarcasm.
and if a movie like Slumdog Millionaire can get the oscars, then you realize its not worth following / trusting such awards.:facepalm

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Oh I liked Avatar. Don't go there.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
which means you also liked APNE ?? :p :laugh

since its all about the deols you see...;)

Leave fight scenes out. Apne was killer movie. The song "apne to apne" makes me cry every time I listen to it.

King Cricket

International Coach
You are possibly the only two people I have heard say something bad about Avatar, I refused to go and watch it but actually loved the film when I was forced to go. It is more than just the storyline it's the affect of showing how the Americans have naively gone to different countries and think they mean nothing but really they mean a lot and then have just destroyed it.

It may be cliched but what isn't?

I just didn't like it.

The message might have been strong and all, but the plot was way too predictable, and the acting wasn't anything great either. It's not the type of a film which should be dominating the Oscars.

Last edited:
P

pcfan123

Out of the contenders yes.

“The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” - Faux art film

“Frost/Nixon” - Brilliant acting but impressions are not enough to win

“Milk” Just a political movie

"Reader" - Probably the 2nd most deserving but just felt empty to me

“Slumdog Millionaire” Most complete all around picture and probably the deserved winner

King Cricket

International Coach
hMarka said:
“Slumdog Millionaire” Most complete all around picture and probably the deserved winner

I beg to differ. How can Slumdog be called a "complete" film when most of it was a massive exaggeration of the reality?

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Wow, my first post got major edited :D

I watched Slumdog after the Oscars, and I was really disappointed. Regret that, I wish I'd seen it before.

Gazza added 1 Minutes and 55 Seconds later...

That's better. I removed those asterisks.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
pfft. who cares about storyline. i thoroughly enjoyed the movie and the Visual effects, action sequences were something never before seen on celluloid.

it was a visual treat, an experience.

i'd take Avatar anyday over many of the snooze fests that get the "CRITICAL ACCLAIM" ! :sarcasm.
and if a movie like Slumdog Millionaire can get the oscars, then you realize its not worth following / trusting such awards.:facepalm

Lot of people are just too surprised that Slumdog won that many awards, and they still cant believe such a movie could win that many awards at the Oscars. But I can understand why they gave the movie so many Oscars. I dont know how the situation in India was/is, but I can say that seeing the way they portrayed it, you could be sucked into believing that it is all happening in India. The presentation of the film was just exceptional.

Avatar??? What does it have other than technical wizardy? As sid said (cant believe I am saying this:p), its like a a regular Hindi film plot and not a great plot too, too long, etc.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Avatar was terrible :facepalm . I saw it on my birthday too, which added to the misery. It's only the second movie that I've ever fell asleep in, last one was when I was 5 years old. Honestly, the 3D wasn't great, some of the special effects and sound effects were above average, but the rest was just insane. Boredom to the max, a total waste of my time. Considering how much the movie tickets costed too, it's the biggest waste I've made in a while.

Visual effects alone do NOT make a movie amazing. Storyline is the most important thing of all, and Avatar failed in bringing in a good storyline.

I'm just shocked that such a film can clean up at the Oscars like this...

It is like a Hindi plot, problem is most Hindi movies aren't very good either. Plus, as mentioned earlier, it was too long. It was boring in a lot of parts as well.

Users who are viewing this thread