All Time ODI XI

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Online Cricket Games Owned
I noticed we didn't have a thread on this. Couldn't find one anyways.

It's been nearly 40 years of ODI cricket, so what do you think is the best ODI XI of all time?

Try, as much as possible, to only include players on the basis of their ODI records. That means they have to have played ODIs. Although if you strongly feel Don Bradman or Gary Sobers deserve to be in the ODI All-Time XI, then feel free to pick them.

As for my playing XI...after much deliberation I've come up with the following lineup:

Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist (+)
Ricky Ponting
Viv Richards
Andrew Symonds
Michael Bevan
Lance Klusener
Imran Khan (+)
Shaun Pollock
Wasim Akram
Muttiah Muralitharan

Positives:
+ Insane batting depth
+ 3 quality seamers in Wasim, Pollock and Imran. Imran and Wasim are excellent death bowlers too. All three have the ability to succeed in subcontinental conditions as well as when the ball is swinging and seaming.
+ Symonds, Klusener, Sachin, Viv make up excellent fill-in bowling options for the fifth bowler quota.
+ Lots of hitting ability. This XI should be able to maintain high scoring rates throughout the innings,. Pollock, Wasim, Symonds, Klusener are all good pinch-hitters as well if we need one.
+ Plenty of finishing ability in Symonds, Bevan, Klusener, Imran.
+ Good fielding side - Viv, Symonds, Klusener, Ponting. Really no weak links in the field with this side.

Possible negatives:
- Possibly not enough spin bowling, only Murali with Symonds/Viv/Sachin/Bevan for support.
- No real stabilising batsmen, Ponting and Sachin will play the anchor roles. Although with this sort of batting depth, you might not need anchors. Imran does a decent job of it though, as does Bevan, so they can be promoted if needed.

Discuss and post up your own XIs.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Ricky Ponting
Viv Richards
Brian Lara
Michael Bevan
Imran Khan (c)
Shane Warne
Wasim Akram
Mutiah Murlidharan
Joel Garner

With this batting line up do not need any all rounder to fill any void. Pure batsman and pure bowlers with some batting ability.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Sachin Tendulkar
Ricky Ponting
Viv Richards
Brian Lara
Michael Bevan
Lance Klusener
Shaun Pollock
Wasim Akram
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

Not too happy with that.

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
As for my playing XI...after much deliberation I've come up with the following lineup:

Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist (+)
Ricky Ponting
Viv Richards
Andrew Symonds
Michael Bevan
Lance Klusener
Imran Khan (+)
Shaun Pollock
Wasim Akram
Muttiah Muralitharan

Perfect lineup with all legends of ODI cricket. I will only have one change in it, I will put Saqlain ahead of Muralitharan in an ODI lineup since he had far more ability to control the flow of runs in ODI cricket with hi varieties and his doosra was far more dangerous then Murali.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
If you consider short span in whole career then Akhtar is probably the deadliest ODI bowler ever. Can't just throw in Saqi for that over Murli.

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
If you consider short span in whole career then Akhtar is probably the deadliest ODI bowler ever. Can't just throw in Saqi for that over Murli.

Saqlain was very good in his whole career not just in short span. His stats shows why he was the best ODI spinner with an awesome average of 21.7 and strike rate of just 30.4.Fastest to reach 100 and 200 wickets landmark aswell.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
2 guys that aren't being picked enough: Joel Garner and Glenn McGrath. And maybe Jacques Kallis too. Hard to fit them in I know, but they deserve mention. Garner's record is awesome, even if you adjust for the lower economy rates of his era. McGrath's ODI bowling is badly underrated and Kallis is just underrated fullstop.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I noticed we didn't have a thread on this. Couldn't find one anyways.

It's been nearly 40 years of ODI cricket, so what do you think is the best ODI XI of all time?

Try, as much as possible, to only include players on the basis of their ODI records. That means they have to have played ODIs. Although if you strongly feel Don Bradman or Gary Sobers deserve to be in the ODI All-Time XI, then feel free to pick them.

Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist (+)
Ricky Ponting
Viv Richards
Andrew Symonds
Michael Bevan
Lance Klusener
Imran Khan (+)
Shaun Pollock
Wasim Akram
Muttiah Muralitharan

Positives:
+ Insane batting depth
+ 3 quality seamers in Wasim, Pollock and Imran. Imran and Wasim are excellent death bowlers too. All three have the ability to succeed in subcontinental conditions as well as when the ball is swinging and seaming.
+ Symonds, Klusener, Sachin, Viv make up excellent fill-in bowling options for the fifth bowler quota.
+ Lots of hitting ability. This XI should be able to maintain high scoring rates throughout the innings,. Pollock, Wasim, Symonds, Klusener are all good pinch-hitters as well if we need one.
+ Plenty of finishing ability in Symonds, Bevan, Klusener, Imran.
+ Good fielding side - Viv, Symonds, Klusener, Ponting. Really no weak links in the field with this side.

Possible negatives:
- Possibly not enough spin bowling, only Murali with Symonds/Viv/Sachin/Bevan for support.
- No real stabilising batsmen, Ponting and Sachin will play the anchor roles. Although with this sort of batting depth, you might not need anchors. Imran does a decent job of it though, as does Bevan, so they can be promoted if needed.

Discuss and post up your own XIs.

Garner instead of Pollock & this would be my team as well.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
tendulkar
jayasuriya
dean jones
viv richards
zaheer abbas
Michael Bevan
Dhoni (wk)
Lance Klusener
Akram
Garner
Murali

I know sod all about ODI cricket really, which is why my team is so different to anyone elses. but it's cool. in seriousness though, I do rate Dean Jones and Zaheer Abbas as better batsman than ponting given the context of when they played.

StinkyBoHoon added 4 Minutes and 38 Seconds later...

what about Bond if we're counting short careers?

Last edited:

Num

Club Cricketer
1. S.Tendulkar
2. A.Gilchrist (wk)
3. R.Ponting
4. V.Richards
5. A.Symonds
6. M.Bevan
7. I.Khan
8. W.Akram
9. J.Garner
10. M.Muralitharan
11. G.McGrath

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
1. Gilchrist
2. Sachin
3. Ponting
4. Sir vivian Richards
5. Zaheer Abbas
6. Michael Bevan (the best finisher ever)
7. Imran Khan
8. Wasim Akram
9. Waqar Younis
10. Murali
11. Mcgrath/Warne Depending upon conditions

^Would you look at that bowling attack :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread