Apple Mac Refresh

omkarjere

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I love the Mac visuals etc but its not much good for computer gaming I suppose:noway

Harrypotter_fan

Panel of Selectors
Macs are too flashy and overpriced for me. As for OS X, never really liked the graphite look nor the dock-style taskbar. Also, I like menus in the window rather than outside it. I don't think I'll buy a mac if I have a choice.

MacWorld

Club Cricketer
Of course it wont as apple dont release that high spec. Apart from the mac pro which can rival with really high pc's.

8 core processors @2.93GHz
up to 32GB ram
and 4TB storage,
ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB / 4x NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB

the mac pro is up there but pcs can be better if you really want them to be.
http://www.apple.com/uk/macpro/

Last edited:

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Except for the fact that the Mac will be NOWHERE NEAR that "Top-level" PC. You have to do some fair comparisons.

Spec wise, no. But the OS is definitely better, hardware and build quality is on another plane, and customer service is about 200x better. Any problems and they'll replace the computer, no questions asked.

You do pay the 'Apple tax', but there is a reason for their success and following.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
I wouldn't debate much on the OS, as I haven't used it myself and don't to follow the comments on various tech sites. But from what I know, an OS which is handicapped mostly in terms of third party applications, and has absolutely no ability to run across PC's other than Macs (The reasons for Apple's monoply I'd guess), I wouldn't call such an OS better.

But hardware and build quality? Oh boy, its only the shiny, glossy casing that attracts people. NO OEM, I say it again, NO OEM uses highest quality parts for their PC's. The build quality which appears on the outside is just due to those crazy designs - its build design, not quality.

Customer service on PC is as good, provided you buy from the correct retailer.

The only reason for Apple's success is their remarkable ability to brainwash. Nothing else.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
I wouldn't debate much on the OS, as I haven't used it myself and don't to follow the comments on various tech sites. But from what I know, an OS which is handicapped mostly in terms of third party applications, and has absolutely no ability to run across PC's other than Macs (The reasons for Apple's monoply I'd guess), I wouldn't call such an OS better.

But hardware and build quality? Oh boy, its only the shiny, glossy casing that attracts people. NO OEM, I say it again, NO OEM uses highest quality parts for their PC's. The build quality which appears on the outside is just due to those crazy designs - its build design, not quality.

Customer service on PC is as good, provided you buy from the correct retailer.

The only reason for Apple's success is their remarkable ability to brainwash. Nothing else.

Dude, are you like thinking of Mac's from 1998 or something? The OS usability cross-platform is unmatched. Vista can barely interact with XP, OSX can manage files on Ubuntu, Linux, Windows, you name it.

The Hardware IS better. No, it's not just shiny stuff. Their recent line of laptops is carved from one solid piece of aluminum, not screwing, gluing or loose parts seen. Apple does use high quality products, you may say that no company uses them because you haven't seen what Apple has to provide. :rolleyes:

I bought multiple laptops from HP and Dell. They were treated with so much care yet they still came to problems within the first year. The companies wanted us to keep spending for us to fix the various problems, it was just terrible. My sisters Macbook on the otherhand got a little dirty. So we took it to the store and they had a look, replaced the laptop at no charge. They're THAT good.

The Macbook is the most popular computer on the planet for a reason. They have amazing products, some people are just scared to change operating systems or don't look into their products enough to make a judgement.

I may come accross as a fanboy, i'm not. In fact, we don't own a single apple computer, (except for my sisters macbook but she has taken it to college). The customer service and reliability we have seen with Apple for my sister and our iPods has been just so good, and in comparison to the various PCs we have bought over the last few years, which all seem to break down, and need constant protection and upkeep and expenses - it's just so much better.

Oh, and OSX has BILLIONS of applications.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Dude, are you like thinking of Mac's from 1998 or something? The OS usability cross-platform is unmatched. Vista can barely interact with XP, OSX can manage files on Ubuntu, Linux, Windows, you name it.
First of all, file systems aren't common to an operating system. For example, the Linux kernel can handle several different file systems, such as the ext3 filesystem and the upcoming BetterFS file system which is supposed to blow everyone else out of the water. Windows primarily used FAT32 file systems back in the day although now they are promoting NTFS and have been working on WinFS for a while. OS X uses a file system called HFS+ which by many is claimed to be archaic and aging, and need for a change.

I don't know what you mean by "Vista can barely interact with XP". As far as I have seen, files I make in XP work in Vista and vica verca.

Finally, it is laughable that OS X is touted as being more cross-platform than Windows or UNIX-based/-like systems. OS X completely pigeonholes itself into OS X-specific stuff (at least until they switched to x86-based processors).

The Hardware IS better. No, it's not just shiny stuff. Their recent line of laptops is carved from one solid piece of aluminum, not screwing, gluing or loose parts seen. Apple does use high quality products, you may say that no company uses them because you haven't seen what Apple has to provide. :rolleyes:
The casing of a laptop doesn't qualify as its hardware. K_I was most certainly referring to actual hardware such as processor, memory, cache, hard-disk, etc.

I bought multiple laptops from HP and Dell. They were treated with so much care yet they still came to problems within the first year. The companies wanted us to keep spending for us to fix the various problems, it was just terrible. My sisters Macbook on the otherhand got a little dirty. So we took it to the store and they had a look, replaced the laptop at no charge. They're THAT good.
I have bought multiple laptops from HP and have had no problem with them whatsoever. A laptop lasts for around 2-3 years at peak performance and then begins to have issues. Furthermore, the great thing about my HP laptop is I can upgrade it by removing a few screws from the bottom. Not satisfied with my 3gigs of RAM? I'll just by a 2-gig stick and stick it in and I'll be golden. Once you get a Macbook, you're going to stick with it until it stops working and then go give your cash to Apple for the next product in line.

The Macbook is the most popular computer on the planet for a reason. They have amazing products, some people are just scared to change operating systems or don't look into their products enough to make a judgement.
Fear is hardly the reason why most people don't have Macs. Price is a HUGE factor. If Apple slashed their prices by even 10% they would see an uptake on sales. And they can, if they want to. But they don't because then the owners of Apple devices will lose the elitist tag that they paid for. So Macs will always be overpriced.

Secondly, compatibility. Probably 60% or more of the PCs purchased in the world are purchased for business use. Quite simply, most businesses trust a Windows-based operating system for their needs since its the most versatile and easiest platform to use. And almost everyone else is using it, so they can be compatible with their clients.

Thirdly, if you're writing an application for an Apple device, you're almost certainly going to have to learn Objective C. This makes Apple software development a very niche market, which is why most software vendors don't bother to make a Mac version of their product.

Oh, and OSX has BILLIONS of applications.
If OS X has billions of applications, I shudder at the integer overflow when you try to quantify the number of Windows applications in existence.

Users who are viewing this thread