Ashes Cricket 2013 Mo-Cap Behind the scenes

deepuparayil

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Now we know from where that bad animations coming from. The players that shown in the video have a lazy style and that diving catch looks all wrong.

Gurjot95

National Board President
I hope running animations are improved this time. They were quite bad last time imo.
The players that shown in the video have a lazy style and that diving catch looks all wrong.
That was my first impression too. I hope it doesn't look that bad in game though. Seems he was late to react. But I am fine with it as long as other animations are good. :)

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
I like the sample of motion Capture shown.....But my suggestion is the game must have atleast 3 different style for on shot i.e. 3 diff types of pull ,straight drive etc...:yes:thumbs

LegBreakGoogly

Club Captain
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
1 "actor" to do the bowling. Excuse me , but name one fast bowler who can bowl good off breaks or leg breaks!

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Really, don't try and glean anything from those: you're seeing an incredibly small sample there - a few shots of hundreds.
Also bear in mind that sometimes we have to blend different legs to different upper bodies dependent on the shot you choose to play, and the timing of the shot: some shots will end up looking very different in game - this is just the raw data.

That's relieving. I hope you could tell the number of celebrations you have mo-cap'd, considering you revealed the other numbers.
And even though you asked me not to pick on small details, I wish to concieve ,from a couple of shots, that diving in the outfield and a fielder assisting another fielder do exist this time. Affirmative chief? ;)

nisshant_rao

School Cricketer
Steve before you start to finalize the mo-cap please try to compare the mo-cap visuals with some of the actual players shots so that you will get a better idea of the realism of any shot.moreover i did not like the 'down the track' mo-cap as it looks as if the batsman is just walking and not 'dancing down d track'.Moreover the batsman follow through after playing a shot looks pathetic and looks as if the batsman is going back to his 'shell' or crouching rather than opening up or practicing the shot.please hire different mo-cap people for batting bowling and fielding,The catch mo-cap was like the model jumping on the bed while playing pillow fight.Please hire professional cricket for mo-cap.rest everything looks great specially the bowling mo-cap.thanks and all the best.

P1YUSH

School Cricketer
Point to be noted...

While most of the great batsman's are left handers, In 2nd video Steve said it will regret later to use left handed person for batting in motion capture. Why?

Also, the math behind the shot/animation to timing etc...Steve is talking about scare me out for glitch-free animations. Also, now know that its not that easy to create cricket games even for Big's like them.

As, 1st video the unpredictability and making the basics right and adding gameplay that user like to play everytime without getting bore is the right direction by Jamie.

Hope, While they add features to the game. Making the unpredictability right they have already got my spot for the game.

:cheers

P1YUSH

School Cricketer
Why not they use themselves for motion capture and add that in the game as arcade mode. :clap

Chief

Panel of Selectors
Some good thoughts here, and I'm hearing your concerns: however, I'm very happy with how much this is improving the feel of the batting. You have to remember that the capture is only PART of the process of animation: there's many layers on top, especially blending different animations... Any one action you see in this video isn't the end-product: different parts are used in combination with others...

Anyway, I appreciate your feedback: I'm taking it all on board over an egg nog.
Hope you're all having good holiday time, and my very best for an excellent new year.

windle1981

School Cricketer
Chief
Just wanted to know if there's any chance of saving all online gameplay so you can play test matches v friends .
Like I've said before we just looking for a game with great gameplay tactics and different pitch types and conditions. I think every pitch you play on should be different every time.

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
To be honest chief there is always doubt with a cricket game.
When you can show us the game in real time, then we can all
see it with are own eyes. I guess people don't want to get there
hopes up to much. Still looking forward to the new year, so close now :D

CaptainOZ

Panel of Selectors
Some good thoughts here, and I'm hearing your concerns: however, I'm very happy with how much this is improving the feel of the batting. You have to remember that the capture is only PART of the process of animation: there's many layers on top, especially blending different animations... Any one action you see in this video isn't the end-product: different parts are used in combination with others...

Anyway, I appreciate your feedback: I'm taking it all on board over an egg nog.
Hope you're all having good holiday time, and my very best for an excellent new year.

And a happy holidays to you too, Chief. Here's to a productive and rewarding 2013 for cricket gaming, especially for your game. We are salivating at the first videos of the game in action, but understand that these things will come in due time and process. :thumbs

savvart

Associate Cricketer
And this is exactly why other developers do NOT release early stuff publicly - because it is pounced upon immediately without the background knowledge to understand the 'process' that is involved.

Happy New Year... :yes

deepuparayil

International Cricketer
And this is exactly why other developers do NOT release early stuff publicly - because it is pounced upon immediately without the background knowledge to understand the 'process' that is involved.

Happy New Year... :yes

But AC09 and IC10's animations were really bad even in the released versions.... (I mean it looked like an amateur cricketers movements).
Any explanations? Their previous game's diving catch had the exact terrible movements like the one we saw in mocap video. What I suggesting was that, if they used atleast a county level player for mocap the animations would have been good.

Last edited:

timchrist984

Club Captain
Main thing i picked up from the 2nd video is that different shots will require different timing, a huge step forward from IC10 where i found the timing for late cuts was the same as defensive shots.

Users who are viewing this thread