Ashes Cricket General Discussion

Mondy

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Anyone know why I can't get custom lineups to stick in career mode? I went through all the county teams altering the starting XI's for each team and format but each time I start a career mode it reverts to something different. Now this isn't a massive issue really...but my pedantic side just really wants to them to more closely reflect more accurate lineups.

Also if I've downloaded and assigned a few bats to England players would I have to restart the whole Ashes series for this to take effect or will they be right when I start the next match?

Thanks in advance.

I'd be grateful for an answer to this as well.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Anyone know why I can't get custom lineups to stick in career mode? I went through all the county teams altering the starting XI's for each team and format but each time I start a career mode it reverts to something different. Now this isn't a massive issue really...but my pedantic side just really wants to them to more closely reflect more accurate lineups.

Also if I've downloaded and assigned a few bats to England players would I have to restart the whole Ashes series for this to take effect or will they be right when I start the next match?

Thanks in advance.

I'd be grateful for an answer to this as well.

The short answer is No. No, you can't have a static/fixed lineup of your choosing in career mode. This is the "Dynamic lineup" feature and IMO the game should've an option whether the user wants to enable Dynamic Lineup feature or not when you start a new career. Majority of people play the game, especially the career mode, to play out their dream/fantasy of playing alongside the established stars in Steven Smith, Warner, Starc etc. It would be no fun if 2-3 years into the career just when you make it to the Aussie national team you see Steven Smith is retired and Warner not in the Test team due to lack of form.

I say let users choose their poison - enable "Dynamic Lineup" and you get regens but risk not playing alongside the stars of today and if you don't enable the option, you end up playing with the same squad/team for eternity a la DBC 14. Maybe there could be a hybrid solution, i.e. you can enable "Dynamic Lineup" whenever you wish. So you can play alongside Smith, Warner & company for say first 8 years of your career and then you decide to enable Dynamic Lineup and you start seeing retirements and new players/regens take over gradually. IMO I would love to see this feature once Stats are fixed in career mode.

passarapin

Associate Captain
AUS..
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
This is probably the most sensible suggestion yet and very obvious.
Something also that might be worth a look is the bowling mentalities?
For example, I think certain mentalities are more likely to make he Ai play shots etc.

passarapin

Associate Captain
AUS..
If that were the case then it could be that attacking would make the AI play more shots like defensive less so.
Yeah, my line of thinking is - if the Ai is more likely to play a shot, some of those may have rushed or late, resulting in an edge?
Whereas if the bowling mentality was different, the batsman may have just left or defended the ball.

I dunno, just throwing up hypotheticals :) haha

gkvarma18

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
Some weird shot animations irritating me such as when I tried to play pitched on outside off stump short or good length ball to legside flick or glance then batsman seems to have played cover drive but ball goes to fine leg.
Think it's a bug , and forcing me to abandon shots to play onside for out side offstump balls.
BigAnt will you look into this. I have videos and will upload soon in Bug reporting thread.

s0074845

Club Captain
Some weird shot animations irritating me such as when I tried to play pitched on outside off stump short or good length ball to legside flick or glance then batsman seems to have played cover drive but ball goes to fine leg.
Think it's a bug , and forcing me to abandon shots to play onside for out side offstump balls.
BigAnt will you look into this. I have videos and will upload soon in Bug reporting thread.

I too encountered the same during training when I downloaded and played for the first time. Not sure if something can be done.

christy_lenin1

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Somehow getting some decent edges seems like I am playing a different game from others. Pitch Condition - Grassy, Pristine and none cracks.

Are you using game-play modifiers? or you get this be default.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Default with bowling difficultly Hard and AI set to legend.
Might be wrong but I think you, me and @funnyadit are all playing with no modifiers changed and getting decent results. It's ironic considering the first question asked is what sliders we use to find edges. Although I think @blockerdave might use default and is not experiencing the same.

Do you remember the weather conditions? My last game I made a point of picking cloudy and warm. I probably had more edges off the AI in 30-35 overs of an ODI (dry, hard pitch) than 220 overs of a test match (green, soft). Different teams, pitch and match type but still that seems like too great a difference.

@passarapin @passwordistaco My assumption is that mentalities are there for setting how the AI bats or bowls and how the human plays basically makes them irrelevant. But I suppose it could be a part of the game that it also determines the approach of AI when facing each player.

christy_lenin1

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
My epic journey falls well short. 6 dismissals involving an edge, one involving Root's face. First 20-30 overs there were a few edges going into gaps too. The full innings is there if anyone wants a look. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/214960997 If you want to skip through the fall of wickets at 27, 90, 111, 126, 135, 189, 189, 221, 230, 262.

To my mind there definitely needs to be a reduction in the confidence that is carried over. Honestly, unless a batsman scores a 100 in the first innings they should be almost back to square one.

And to this logo 'bug', has it ever been 100% confirmed by Big Ant that it is an issue or are people trying to find reasons to excuse flaws in the game? Cause I've never noticed a difference other than from different skill levelled players.

It's good to see most of the wickets are from edges with default settings.
I started a new match, disabled my sliders and played in Hard/Legend on a green, hard pitch. Got 100 of 17 overs without loosing any wickets and no edges. Just when i thought of closing the game i edged one to gully. Actually it was a loose shot from me which was bowled very wide and i played little late.

Last few days after trying various modifiers I reverted back to wealey's original setting (15 delivery marker, 50 timing, 90 shot choice , 60 for rest) and i noticed i get 3 to 4 edges in first 15 overs all played on a green top.It happened in 3 consecutive matches i played. If i increase or decrease any of these values i don't get the edges.

So far me using sliders i get more edges, lbw's, bowled compared to default settings but it's evident from your video it plays differently as per their batting style

Wealey

ICC Board Member
I'm mostly talking about bowling to AI where there seems to be a weird issue of differing game play.

Pitches should change the game obviously, but the core game play shouldn't be so different from one console to another.

Pre patch these stupid chipped dismissals wasn't an issue.

Then I play on one console and have a belter, Edges, LBW,Bowleds.

I then play on a green top on another console, get 0 edges and the AI are slogging and chop two in the air.

Iv played too many hours to not recognise a difference, it's feels like a totally different build!

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
It's good to see most of the wickets are from edges with default settings.
I started a new match, disabled my sliders and played in Hard/Legend on a green, hard pitch. Got 100 of 17 overs without loosing any wickets and no edges. Just when i thought of closing the game i edged one to gully. Actually it was a loose shot from me which was bowled very wide and i played little late.

Last few days after trying various modifiers I reverted back to wealey's original setting (15 delivery marker, 50 timing, 90 shot choice , 60 for rest) and i noticed i get 3 to 4 edges in first 15 overs all played on a green top.It happened in 3 consecutive matches i played. If i increase or decrease any of these values i don't get the edges.

So far me using sliders i get more edges, lbw's, bowled compared to default settings but it's evident from your video it plays differently as per their batting style
I think that's it really, a lot comes down to human choices and ability. I said yesterday everyone wants a magic solution to get the game others are having. Since I've gone to just the pitch marker there are more dismissals, I'm getting bowled and lbw everyone now and then. I'm not getting huge scores, it's clearly a struggle at times and I've actually started losing some matches. I'd still say batting is too easy but I really think that is related to confidence/timing of batsman particularly in second innings.

@WealeyH seems to have no problem making it as difficult for himself as possible. To me, that's what the modifiers and difficulty levels are there for - not finding the perfect game for everyone but finding the perfect game for you. I tend to think variety of experience is a good thing. I had a horrible match and then a really enjoyable one.

The game has flaws but I'd be fairly content with it in it's current state, if the beta testers didn't keep going on about how it almost was perfect :lol There are still improvements but I think most are related to strategic/tactical approaches by the AI.

Users who are viewing this thread