Ashes Cricket General Discussion

UnknownSoul

Associate Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Pure noob question... finally getting round to downloading teams so i can start career. Some teams appear in the Custom list. I can't move them across to proper team list like you could in older dbc games. Why have they change that ?

Edit* I linked the team the wrong way around 1st time :facepalm Sorted one team so far. Sorry for my stupidity. Even tho I've played all DBC's and this one, still confusing as F! Also trying to explain how this game works to casual gaming friends who got DBC's / AC is a nightmare.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 46200

Just a thought... Those that play only T20 to those that play the 'proper' form of the game I can't help feel there're differences in the gameplay experience. In my opinion the two forms of the game are as different as Rugby, league and Union and within this game I do feel it throws up differences. Although it uses the same skills sets but they are utilised in different ways/mentality. Not that I'm saying the game is aware of this, It maybe, but I have not seen the AI aggressive enough to prove this but still subtle difference in run rate and application... Is it asking too much to totally bring the AI to a 'very' aggressive state or leave it alone. In test matches this wont work but the same principle would apply on the last day chasing down a total however, different rules would apply. I'm finding it interesting as T20 best suits a video game in terms of time constraints and maybe... Possibly, there should be a stand alone game. But I have to be honest, I hate the format in real life I feel there is a thing of beauty watching a whole One day game from beginning to end. But who would buy a tailored T20 game with all the licenses and trimmings... Is it over complicating things having three formats (loads more if you tinker in the academy and invent more) into a single game that is complicated in it's own uniqueness... ?

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Just a thought... Those that play only T20 to those that play the 'proper' form of the game I can't help feel there're differences in the gameplay experience. In my opinion the two forms of the game are as different as Rugby, league and Union and within this game I do feel it throws up differences. Although it uses the same skills sets but they are utilised in different ways/mentality. Not that I'm saying the game is aware of this, It maybe, but I have not seen the AI aggressive enough to prove this but still subtle difference in run rate and application... Is it asking too much to totally bring the AI to a 'very' aggressive state or leave it alone. In test matches this wont work but the same principle would apply on the last day chasing down a total however, different rules would apply. I'm finding it interesting as T20 best suits a video game in terms of time constraints and maybe... Possibly, there should be a stand alone game. But I have to be honest, I hate the format in real life I feel there is a thing of beauty watching a whole One day game from beginning to end. But who would buy a tailored T20 game with all the licenses and trimmings... Is it over complicating things having three formats (loads more if you tinker in the academy and invent more) into a single game that is complicated in it's own uniqueness... ?
It doesn't help, having three formats. FIFA or PES don't have 5-aside and beach football (at least they didn't last time I played them). But I think people expect all formats to be included.

Unfortunately there usually seems to be one or two formats that are flawed on Big Ants games. From memory, limited overs was poor on '14, test matches were unplayable because of the bat pad smash on '17. Having played a few ODIs on this game it seems to be that format that's currently way under par. T20 is really enjoyable, test match can be realistic (apart from high second innings totals it's fairly well balanced) but in ODI the AI just seem to get frazzled in the powerplay. My hunch would be that it is because they start with low confidence but are trying to score at a higher rate and just give wickets away for fun.

You could maybe sell a fully licensed World Cup Cricket game dedicated to 50 overs but even then some people wouldn't be interested cause they want test matches or T20s. I'd say the same if Ashes had just been test cricket. The only way you could do it would be to have three dedicated games, maybe one each year, priced at not a lot more than the price of a single triple A game for the three. That or just pick a format you want to make a game for and accept your market will be smaller.

Last edited:

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
I meant unless you're a robot you will have at least minor differences in how you execute the delivery. But even then, thank goodness that even attempting to bowl the same line and length doesn't bring about automatic wickets every game because of AI failings.

Which teams are you playing as/against?

Yeah there are minor differences of course but me not bowling a wide variety isn't the reason for not getting edges when AI bats because I've had matches doing the same bowling tactics and got edges it's a bit confusing :(

Currently I've played few test matches as South Africa vs Sri Lanka and Just finished one test match as Pakistan vs Australia. Using @Llewelynf teams bar the Aussie one. Mind you despite the lack of edges whilst I bowl, all the tests I've played have been absolutely amazing. The most recent one Pak/Aus was incredible. I put Australia into bat they made 551-7dec I believe, bowled me out for 268 or something, made me follow on I trailed by 297. My second innings went horrible and by the time I had reached the trial score I was already down 9 wickets and thought I was going to get crushed as my lead would most likely only be 10-20 runs as they were knocking me over one after another. In a bit of a strange turn of events I got two big hundreds from the tail making my lead 292 I think. With 20 overs left in the day Aus were into bat, Bancroft nicked one early, then last over of the day I bowled Khawaja, but day 5 Australia really played attacking cricket, like the pacing was amazing to chase the score down and they did it with ease. Very impressed!

Attachments

• 20180119075112_1.jpg
    20180119075112_1.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 9

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
It doesn't help, having three formats. FIFA or PES don't have 5-aside and beach football (at least they didn't last time I played them). But I think people expect all formats to be included.

Unfortunately there usually seems to be one or two formats that are flawed on Big Ants games. From memory, limited overs was poor on '14, test matches were unplayable because of the bat pad smash on '17. Having played a few ODIs on this game it seems to be that format that's currently way under par. T20 is really enjoyable, test match can be realistic (apart from high second innings totals it's fairly well balanced) but in ODI the AI just seem to get frazzled in the powerplay. My hunch would be that it is because they start with low confidence but are trying to score at a higher rate and just give wickets away for fun.

You could maybe sell a fully licensed World Cup Cricket game dedicated to 50 overs but even then some people wouldn't be interested cause they want test matches or T20s. I'd say the same if Ashes had just been test cricket. The only way you could do it would be to have three dedicated games, maybe one each year, priced at not a lot more than the price of a single triple A game for the three. That or just pick a format you want to make a game for and accept your market will be smaller.

I've played 2 ODI matches on PRO difficulty recently and the AI performed pretty well batting-wise. Both games were using my 2005 teams, first I was Pakistan vs India with them batting first and fudged my lineup which meant I ended up needing to bowl a bunch of part-time spin, ended up conceding ~350 with Yuvraj hitting one over for 30. Second match I was Sri Lanka vs West Indies (in Sri Lanka), set them 307 and they were going kind of ok until my spinners ripped through them in the middle overs. I had them at 230 odd for 9 before Bravo smashed me around a bit and they ended up 276 all out from 48 overs.

Hester

County Cricketer
Just playing a another RSA v IND test and, after the follow on glitch happened, I got mad. I didn't want to bat any more so went on a slog fest. I scored 300/7 off 15 overs before declaring. This is on veteran AI and Hard batting but with some modifiers :
Pitch marker 30
Timing 50
Shot choice / Footwork 60

300 off 15 overs. Not one edge. I feel dirty. Like I want to vomit.

Oh, I should also add that it's day 3 and apart from some cracks that sometimes show, the pitch is perfect. Not a semblance of a smudge or footmark anywhere. A more perfect rectangle was never seen. And this is with quick wear on!

sashu_91

County Cricketer
Just playing a another RSA v IND test and, after the follow on glitch happened, I got mad. I didn't want to bat any more so went on a slog fest. I scored 300/7 off 15 overs before declaring. This is on veteran AI and Hard batting but with some modifiers :
Pitch marker 30
Timing 50

Oh, I should also add that it's day 3 and apart from some cracks that sometimes show, the pitch is perfect. Not a semblance of a smudge or footmark anywhere. A more perfect rectangle was never seen. And this is with quick wear on!
Pitch marker at 30 lol.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Pitch marker 30
Timing 50

Set a house rule not to play lofted shots as they're over-powered and the game/batting becomes even easier than it already is.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
On a different note I noticed what everyone was talking about in-game players being a weird shade of "black" or tanned. I didn't notice it in Tests or the odis as most of the matches were played during day time and somehow the players' faces didn't look that bad. Yesterday I created a different match type - basically odi with start time of 9pm so I could bat under lights given the game doesn't change the time of the day unless you "save/exit & resume". Under lights the players' darker skins simply jumped off and were easily noticeable and they looked weird. One more thing for Big Ant to fix, i.e. to have the same skin tone & player resemblance on the field of play to what you see in the academy.

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
Played another ODI today, this time bowling as both teams on PRO/hard bowling difficulty, Dusty/Soft/Pristine pitch. Note that I'm playing with 2005 rules: Only 1 ball, 5 men allowed outside when not in a powerplay, PPs are first 10 overs then two 5 over PPs when the fielding team chooses (although I can't quite get this to work right and currently it's first 15 overs is a PP then one PP whenever you choose). The powerplays proved to be the key, when I was bowling as India I thought might be able to restrict them to around 280 but I left the PP until the end and got pasted in the last 5 overs to allow them >300. When bowling as Australia I used it in the middle overs and India lost 4 wickets during the 5 over spell which blew through their middle-order and basically put them out of the game. Despite a good partnership between Kaif and Pathan they couldn't get close to the RRR again.

l4G8Udk.png

I'm not sure what difficulty you're playing on @wasteyouryouth but Pro seems perfect for me for ODIs at least. I definitely wouldn't bother playing above Veteran, the AI was atrociously bad on Legendary in DBC17.

Bonus Zaheer cleaning up Clarke with some beautiful inswing:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9102

BigAnt's mediocrity + lack of competing cricket developers + customer desperation = BigAnt selling poor games at full price and getting away with enough money from those sales to keep pumping out substandard titles.
Lately this seems like Big Ant's recipe with all their titles.

1. Identify niche sport with no video game (or none for a long time).
2. Throw together and rush out a mediocre unfinished game for full price, because enough fans of the sport desperate for a game will buy anything.
3. Deliver occasional patches to make small progress, with almost zero communication
4. Move on to the next iteration, scan a few faces, pick up a couple of licenses, and usually reset the progress made by the last iteration's patches.
5. Go to no.2

Steam reviews of DBC17, RLL4 and Ashes all see the same sorts of comments often made about them - buggy, unfinished, needs patching etc... AO Tennis is just disastrous as well.

Big Ant seriously need to sort themselves out, or another developer get involved in cricket games for me to have any interest in them.

Users who are viewing this thread