Ashes Cricket General Discussion

Abhi_Roxtar

Club Cricketer
You cannot have Person A on the one side (Which could be the Worlds No. 1 Player) , playing with fully assisted footwork , plonking all deliveries to the fence , against Person B , who is trying to play the game with no assists , and doesnt hit the balls as consistently as A.

All that will happen is that Person B will eventually also start playing with Fully assisted Footwork , to try and compete with A , eventually meaning the end of the "Old DBC Style" batting controlls.

I for one would defnitly limit it in my Online Leagues , but for that to be effective , there needs to be an option to prohibit the use of these controls , otherwhise how do I enforce it in a league ?
There should be an option to select 1 stick or 2 stick controls during
You cannot have Person A on the one side (Which could be the Worlds No. 1 Player) , playing with fully assisted footwork , plonking all deliveries to the fence , against Person B , who is trying to play the game with no assists , and doesnt hit the balls as consistently as A.

All that will happen is that Person B will eventually also start playing with Fully assisted Footwork , to try and compete with A , eventually meaning the end of the "Old DBC Style" batting controlls.

I for one would defnitly limit it in my Online Leagues , but for that to be effective , there needs to be an option to prohibit the use of these controls , otherwhise how do I enforce it in a league ?
There must be an option to use similar control for entire match....!!!

For that to happen, we will need to have an option to select the type of controls like we select difficulty in online while creating match so that both players are using same type of controls

Pcuser

Club Captain
Any ideas when steam store page will be up? and what price will be?
From what i have read is that Steam version is Delayed so you won't be seeing it on the steam store anytime till after Nov. Feel free to correct me anyone if this info is incorrect

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The annoying thing is that I think DBC14 had the fundamentals near spot-on

I vastly prefer bowling in DBC14 than I do in 17 that's for certain. It's very clumsy and one of those "why was it changed so massively?" moments for me.

The reason why I like the idea of a dice-roll bowling mechanic is that, to a greater or lesser extent bowling is random based on a number of factors; bowler skill, pitch state, batsman ability and weather. The idea you can, as you say, stick a ball 6 from 6 in the same spot happens so infrequently (and isn't a great tactic either, in most circumstances) a "dice-roll" in the background adds a bit more variety and unpredictability for bowler and batsman alike. In AC09 there was this gimmick where the pitch marker would say it was in X position but would randomly change (quickly) to another just prior to delivery. Aside from the pitch-marker, it was a great way to simulate the unpredictability of facing bowling. Didn't happen all the time either...

Karachi

Associate Captain
Before people start to get condescending let me just say that below is my personal opinion and is not intended to hurt anyone's feelings towards this game.

So, after seeing the latest videos I have to say that I am unimpressed. The game is simply an upgradation of DBC'17. Though some upgrades are significant.

Graphics & environment continue to look very artificial and mediocre, while the camera work is terrible as always. The utter disregard for those who prefer TV style Broadcast Camera is disappointing. Since BA has already demonstrated that they can create broadcast camera in their DBC'17 Academy Demo & during the replays within the final games, it makes it even more baffling to see no attention in this direction.

The ups are licensed stadiums and players. But there is down side to these very same elements as well. Licensed stadiums are limited to Australia and licensed teams are limited to Australia and England. Though this is understandable as the game is 'Ashes' and is mainly marketed towards Australian market, followed by English market.

The only thing unique about the game that I see is the motion capture of real players. Whether it is a good selling point overall, or not, I don't know. But I hope future cricket games do adopt technique and technology.

It is astonishing that BLIC'99 is 18 years old & no cricket game has come close to its 'funability.' Even though, it had severe shortcomings it is still the most comprehensive cricket game ever. Of course, now its just outdated. Ashes 2009 and Cricket 2010 lacked the 'funability' of BLIC'99 but they had great game-play graphics and camera work. It is shameful that subsequent cricket games have not matched these two games either, in particular the mentioned aspects.

Now you have my permission to kill me ;-)

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
Do we know yet if you can actually miss your length in the new game?

The way the new hud is designed it definitely appears as though if you bowl in the yellow sections for length you will be too short or too full. Does this actually bear out when the ball is delivered?

PristineR

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Before people start to get condescending let me just say that below is my personal opinion and is not intended to hurt anyone's feelings towards this game.

So, after seeing the latest videos I have to say that I am unimpressed. The game is simply an upgradation of DBC'17. Though some upgrades are significant.

Graphics & environment continue to look very artificial and mediocre, while the camera work is terrible as always. The utter disregard for those who prefer TV style Broadcast Camera is disappointing. Since BA has already demonstrated that they can create broadcast camera in their DBC'17 Academy Demo & during the replays within the final games, it makes it even more baffling to see no attention in this direction.

The ups are licensed stadiums and players. But there is down side to these very same elements as well. Licensed stadiums are limited to Australia and licensed teams are limited to Australia and England. Though this is understandable as the game is 'Ashes' and is mainly marketed towards Australian market, followed by English market.

The only thing unique about the game that I see is the motion capture of real players. Whether it is a good selling point overall, or not, I don't know. But I hope future cricket games do adopt technique and technology.

It is astonishing that BLIC'99 is 18 years old & no cricket game has come close to its 'funability.' Even though, it had severe shortcomings it is still the most comprehensive cricket game ever. Of course, now its just outdated. Ashes 2009 and Cricket 2010 lacked the 'funability' of BLIC'99 but they had great game-play graphics and camera work. It is shameful that subsequent cricket games have not matched these two games either, in particular the mentioned aspects.

Hey are you talking about Ashes Cricket 13.. If not i would love to know what stuff your are on right now!!

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It is astonishing that BLIC'99 is 18 years old & no cricket game has come close to its 'funability.'

Hyperbole thy name is this guy.

DBC14 is the most fun I've ever had with a cricket game, ever. It's literally the best cricket title ever made.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

You are certainly missing a lot more features than you have listed here. The most significant one is the 'cricket academy' followed by stadium, logos creator and an awesome gameplay (DBC14). While you are talking about the camera angles, how flexible was the game (BLIC'99, ashes 09) in terms of overall performance? You can't just judge a game only on the basis of it's camera angle or the licensed stuffs.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
My perfect bowling control would be everything is controlled by placement of the seam position, and the stability of my input.

We've talked a lot about length control and that the dbc14 mechanism was better than dbc17 which it certainly was.

But what both games have certainly missed is the mechanics of what makes bowling skillful: the ability to control seam position and repeat your action at speed.

Imagine choosing an outswinger by angling a seam, and the way you release (and your bowler skill) determining how well that seam position is retained during delivery and the swing quality.

That's my holy grail!

Well said blocker. I have never been a huge fan of bowling mechanics of dbc franchises except for the intuitive use of sticks. Seam position is what determines seam, swing and bounce for a fast bowler. This can make for very fun bowling mechanics. Imagine your fingers as L1 and R1. Pushing hard on R1 as a right arm pacer with seam angled to first slip means I am looking for out swing.

Parcelmoose

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Well said blocker. I have never been a huge fan of bowling mechanics of dbc franchises except for the intuitive use of sticks. Seam position is what determines seam, swing and bounce for a fast bowler. This can make for very fun bowling mechanics. Imagine your fingers as L1 and R1. Pushing hard on R1 as a right arm pacer with seam angled to first slip means I am looking for out swing.
I also found it odd in DBC 17 that an outswinger would often miss the inside edge, and an inswinger take the outside edge.

gogabutt

Club Captain
Overthrow 4s are still happening in the game (BS from DBC17) :facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm
and I will not be surprised to see the leg side bouncers are going for byes 4s :noway :noway:noway:noway:noway

Nonetheless, Ashes 2017 looks great with the new bowling actions, batting shots, dynamic day lighting etc. Cant wait for November 16th!

Jalen

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
From what i have read is that Steam version is Delayed so you won't be seeing it on the steam store anytime till after Nov. Feel free to correct me anyone if this info is incorrect
Know anything about the PlayStation store

Users who are viewing this thread