Ashes Cricket General Discussion

kamy100

Associate Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Thanks for the updates @Dutch and @WealeyH all sounds very encouraging and genuinely appreciate all the work that the beta testers are doing.

Just good to know that they are working on improving the game and am happy to wait if that means we get a more comprehensive and properly tested patch rather than a number of small incremental patches (but can also understand why some would prefer these).

Dracos

County Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The real test is whether it is going to be harder batting in a second innings for both teams: until now batting in a third or fourth innings felt easier than first or second innings whether a human or ai was batting: you want to feel that you know either you or ai could struggle in the second innings because of the pitch and conditions, you want to know that you will need to play differently on day four or five than on the other days or under lights or whatever. What’s a good par score on this surface in these conditions? That is the quest to make that a very very relevant factor.
Does this happen on all types of pitches and conditions? While it is mostly true that batting in the second innings is generally harder, there have been several instances where the pitch might quicken up in first 3 days and slow down or become dead in the 4th and 5th days. Think of Brisbane 2010/11 Ashes, where England scored 600/1 batting in the last 2 or 3 days. I hope this is taken into consideration if possible.

balkeet

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I hope for the majority of instances in game run scoring is hard on day 4,5 unless the surface is real flat or the bowling side is one bowler short due to injury. The game should try to simulate what happens in 90% of time and not the exceptional day 4,5 high scoring in real world

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
as much as i'm a fan of realism, this is after all a game and supposed to be fun - pitches that don't break up and go dead and 600/7 plays 650/6 really shouldn't be a thing...

D

Dutch

Does this happen on all types of pitches and conditions? While it is mostly true that batting in the second innings is generally harder, there have been several instances where the pitch might quicken up in first 3 days and slow down or become dead in the 4th and 5th days. Think of Brisbane 2010/11 Ashes, where England scored 600/1 batting in the last 2 or 3 days. I hope this is taken into consideration if possible.
Indeed it mustnt just become the new norm: pitches do become easier to bat on and a draw has still to be a common occurence: at the mo though the norm was batting being much easier. In how far pitches can be Unique and which factors determine this I dont know but we are all over it!

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
They'e rushing a patch and it will be available tomorrow? Confirmed.

If this patch was rushed then the next should be about ready for Christmas.
Indeed it mustnt just become the new norm: pitches do become easier to bat on and a draw has still to be a common occurence: at the mo though the norm was batting being much easier. In how far pitches can be Unique and which factors determine this I dont know but we are all over it!

I'm sure you're not but don't forget about player confidence carry-over possibly influencing second innings scores.

D

Dutch

If this patch was rushed then the next should be about ready for Christmas.

I'm sure you're not but don't forget about player confidence carry-over possibly influencing second innings scores.
Has been noted but good to be reminded of stuff!

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Again my quote gets turned into something which it was not meant to be but which I perhaps also have not worded correctly: there are people at BA doing a good job. That the company as a whole has taken a certain direction or does things in a way that some people perceive as being this or that is one thing. There are people who work within that company who very much fit the description I gave.

I've absolutely no doubt that there are folks at Big Ant who work their tail off and are passionate about the work they do. My point was that at the end of the day the proof of the pudding is in the eating. I was responding to your remark about some people doubting Big Ant's "care for the community" part and was stating why people would think so and the reason for that doubt. The fact that the game still has fundamental issues in its third iteration with basic elements like shots & edge balancing, stats, fields, AI logic etc. means that somehow that love for the game and care for the community on Big Ant's part hasn't really translated to the end product.

Thieves

Club Captain
Patch really coming out tommorrow? Or was that sarcasm?

Just want to confirm. Thanks everyone.

andrew36

School Cricketer
I have question for the beta testers has the catching been fixed and looks realistic and also has ramp and upper cut been fixed and goes in the right direction
Does drs have appeals for caught behinds of thigh pad or small edge and catches that might of not carried to the fielders

D

Dutch

So perhaps one of my most satisfying wickets to date: Its the last ten overs of the first day. After the tea interval (Day night match) Ali has taken a couple of quick wickets.

The pitch is taking spin and everything he chucks is a handgrenade. Paine and Starc weather the storm and the pitch flattens out again, we are under lights perhaps the pitch is less dry......England are struggling to find a wicket and pin their hopes on the new ball.

At 80 overs they take it and Anderson and Broad steam in. But the pitch hasn't quite got that zip that it had at the beginning of the days play.

The batsmen use the extra pace to their advantage and boundaries start coming again after a tight period. I look at Starcs weak shot...the cut.....

I am thinking to myself okay if I can bowl slightly shorter and offer him a bit of bounce so that he can play on the back foot...not high so he can pull or hook, just some nice little teasers.......

Chug away at it.....two nicks through a vacant fourth slip.....I bring in a fifth slip to cover the gap between 3rd and gully.......keep bowling back of a length.....Starc goes on the backfoot trying to cut one square.....taken at second slip just above his head!

Really really nice....a real captains wicket......because the attributes work, the pitch works......it works!

@zimrahil ;)
20180307141932_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread