Australia 2010-11 contracted players

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
2010-11 contracted players Doug Bollinger, Michael Clarke, Callum Ferguson, Brad Haddin, Ryan Harris, Nathan Hauritz, Ben Hilfenhaus, James Hopes, Phillip Hughes, Michael Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Simon Katich, Brett Lee, Shaun Marsh, Andrew McDonald, Clint McKay, Marcus North, Tim Paine, Ricky Ponting, Peter Siddle, Steven Smith, Shaun Tait, Adam Voges, Shane Watson, Cameron White.

Australia look to Ashes with 2010-11 contract list | Australia Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

Not too surprised with it, only McDonald raised my eyebrow. Thought he was forgotten by the selectors and given hes not even in the side currently whereas Warner and David Hussey are, its a bit strange.

P

pcfan123

Lack of David Warner shows just how much Australian selectors care about Twenty20.

Is James Hopes really worth keeping around?

So the top ranked guys get 1.5 million before all the endorsements, match fees, promos etc. Conservative estimate puts that at 2-2.5 million a year, not bad and explains why Aussies can say no to the IPL so easily.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Typical, Matty Wade misses out. I'm surprised they gave one to Macca, seeing as he hasn't played in over a year. Happy to see that Ferguson retains his. And I reckon Adam Voges is lucky, the selectors should have given it to a young fella like David Warner. James Hopes gets in, but I suppose he's still playing a few. If it was up to me I'd have ditched him :p

TumTum

International Cricketer
So the top ranked guys get 1.5 million before all the endorsements, match fees, promos etc. Conservative estimate puts that at 2-2.5 million a year, not bad and explains why Aussies can say no to the IPL so easily.

Fair dinkum!

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I think it's a pretty accurate list. Warner gets the hype but he only gets to play 2 internationals a summer at most. Plus he doesn't even play Shield for NSW yet. McDonald? Hmm, I think it's more a reward for some decent performances and a recognition that he's not too far off. Doubt he'll play in the next year though.

Matty Wade Gazza? I thought Chris Hartley would be a better choice if you're looking for an alternative. But even then I can totally support Paine getting a contract, he done good v England and he's a promising kid.

And James Hopes is Mr Reliable I guess, the kind of guy that doesn't do much but rounds out an XI. I don't really rate him too highly either, he's always been Watson's ugly cousin only getting in originally as a replacement type player and now Watson's fit and firing he's a bit redundant IMO. I think Ferguson gets the Hopes spot in the ODI side ASAP.

I wonder how much the IPL contracts figure into the contracts. Dave Hussey for example. They might have rated him 23rd (for example) but figure he doesn't really need a low end contract because he's already got a pretty good one for KKR.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Lack of David Warner shows just how much Australian selectors care about Twenty20.

Is James Hopes really worth keeping around?

Yeah, the lowest paid player in this group makes 200K, which is 25K more then Daniel Vettori makes as New Zealand's highest paid player. That alone really does explain a lot.

Anyway I'm really surprised they've given a contract to Shuan Tait considering like Warner he plays 3-4 games a year (without a world cup involved), very strange.

P

pcfan123

Because they probably feel bad for making him miss last years IPL for nothing :p

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Hartley v Wade!?!?! Don't get me started!

A 27 year old who constantly disappoints and averages 31 against a constantly improving 22 year old who averages 42 and bats like a experienced 30 year old?

Num

Club Cricketer
Nathan Bracken wasn't included. :noway

Bracken still has a decent amount of years in him and his style of bowling would be ideal for the subcontinental conditions that Australia will face in the 2011 World Cup. Bracken would also solve Australia's issue of leaking runs during the last 10 overs of an innings. Sure, it hasn't been too problematic of recent, but it probably will be when we face teams like India and South Africa in major games.

A 27 year old who constantly disappoints and averages 31 against a constantly improving 22 year old who averages 42 and bats like a experienced 30 year old?

I think it's harsh saying Hartley "constantly disappoints". This Sheffield Shield season, he scored 827 runs at 48.64, made two centuries and won the Sheffield Shield Player of the Year award.

Last edited:

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
I'm just happy that Hilfenhaus is still there. It's also good that the selectors have kept Callum Fergsuon as well.

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
Voges, McDonald and Tait shouldn't be there. Voges and McDonald just fill in, Tait only play's in Twenty20's.

I'm really happy to see Hilfenhaus and Ferguson retain their's, despite their injuries.

Brett Lee being there, as well as in the Twenty20 squad, means that he is still in the selectors picture.

Last edited:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors

Hey look. I rate Wade. But Hartley scored a crap load of runs this season and can keep well. I don't care what his career average is. He's come good in the last season or 2 and that should be all that matters. I'm not saying he's WAY better than Wade or even a lot better, I'm just saying Wade was not some OBVIOUS omission since he wasn't even arguably the best keeper in the Shield. After all, Hartley won the Shield player of the year

And tell me, didn't Wade come to Victoria because he didn't want to compete with Paine for a Tassie spot? :p

Voges, McDonald and Tait shouldn't be there. Voges and McDonald just fill in, Tait only play's in Twenty20's.

I'm really happy to see Hilfenhaus and Ferguson retain their's, despite their injuries.

Brett Lee being there, as well as in the Twenty20 squad, means that he is still in the selectors picture.

I kinda agree, but who would your 3 alternatives be? Don't say Warner :doh
Bracken and Clark were ditched, but those guys are basically at the end of the road. I can't think of too many obvious options.

Users who are viewing this thread