Australia Under 28's

prarara

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Zorax, I think you mixed up Ishant Sharma with Rohit Sharma in your Indian Under 28 team...

Can't see Ishant batting at number 5.

It's not in any particular order. Yuvi doesn't open for us.

Ponting_14

International Cricketer
It wasn't English crickets choice it was Surreys because they want a good player not an England player, I ever said we had any right to him, I said English cricket deserves something back from him taking one of our youngsters spots which we do. Just because Windies are crap doesn't mean he has to play for Windies, it's who he feel a connection with and its his choice at the end of the day, his career and I doubt he could care what people like you think of it.

England doesn't deserve anything back for him at all. I don't care that he took up a spot for one of your younger players. Still doesn't mean he should play his international career with England.

And even someone like you would have to feel just a little bit guilty if he turns out to be the player his talent shows he could be and he never played for his home nation. One that happens to be one of the lesser teams these days in world Cricket.

No-ones hyping up their own players, their seeing how Australias players stack up against the best other sides of the world. If your no going to compare them whats the point?

Come on now. Open your eyes. Half of them are pretty much drooling over their on young players and bragging about how good their young players are going to be in the future.

They should just change the name of the thread to "World Cricket's best under 28's teams. It's already been hijacked that way.

I could go on bragging about Englands best kids and how their really talented but if the rest of the world has got kids twice as good their obviously going to say something.

Is this your backwards way in saying that some of the other county's talked about in this thread younger players are twice as good as ours?

If you don't compare them then you don't know how successful Australias will be and how good they are.

And again, if you love comparing them so much, then why don't you start a new thread about that. Don't just hijack a thread that was made to talk about only Australian players.

like you then

Oh god, if we're going to go down this road then we better just stop now. There's no point going on really.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Hopes is 29.

A few years back our future spin wasn't looking too bad with Cullen and Casson in good nick and then came Bailey. We all know the story now though. Our problem is most of our spinners aren't even making the state side so aren't able to develop. NSW for one need to stick with Casson, WA should stick with Heal and SA with either Bailey or Cullen.
What about Hauritz? How old is he? He's surely been overlooked in all of this? Had a good season last year, not sure about this one, but he has been forgotten after his test debut.

I'm sure you would but if the next Don Bradman was born and raised in England I doubt you'd be complaining if Australia played him :p Surrey has played a big part in his development so English cricket deservs something back because one of our kids has missed out. Whether or not Surrey should have been allowed to do what they did in the first place is different though.

People are posting other teams to see how the Australians compare with them. I know your Australian but it's not really complicated
I just have two words (names) for you; Kevin Pietersen.

Last edited:

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Hauritz would be under 28 for sure, his batting is handy bowling seems to be more suited towards the OD side of things he has hardly ever been picked for NSW FC side. NSW have too many spinners preventing others from coming up. Hauritz should have stayed in Qld to get more of a go rather than making our selectors have to continually chopping and changing.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
Can't they name it Australia B or summin? U28 sounds bad to me.

Ponting_14

International Cricketer
Leggie search must go onFebruary 04, 2008 12:00am

AS NEWS of Brad Hogg's omission from the Australian XI was announced at the Gabba yesterday a famous quote came to mind, writes Robert Craddock.

Back in the early 1990s when Australian selectors were equivocating over whether to pick a chubby-cheeked young leg-spinner from Victoria, Test selector and former leg-spinner Jim Higgs took a stand.

"Maybe Shane Warne is a bit green but the fact is we have to get a leg-spinner on television so he can start promoting the trade again and getting people interested," Higgs told his fellow selectors.

"Otherwise, leg-spin will just fade from view and then we've really got problems."

Wrist spin bowling in Australia is starting to fade from view again to the point where Australia's next spin bowling debutant could be as far back as the under-17s.

Hogg's omission yesterday was no surprise and justifiable on a cloudy day and with a damp surface.

He will be back. But in a year when Australia is set to play another 14 Tests, including six on tours of India and Pakistan, it's a major regret there is no progress in Australia's search for a young spinner.

India will probably get flogged in this series but at least it is in serious planning mode, sending home Rahul Dravid and Sourav Ganguly and giving a raft of ambitious youngsters a chance.

Australian chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch wants South Australian off-spinner Dan Cullen to tour Pakistan next month so, even though his figures are far from special, at some stage Cullen is worth a look at in this series, even if that look tells us he is struggling.

High-ranking officials privately concede Australia is about four years behind where it would like to be in planning for its next Test leggie.

Australia admits it just got lazy.

Everyone just thought the Warne era would flush out a generation of match-turning, big-spinning, strawberry milkshake-slurping clones in the way that Bjorn Borg's five Wimbledon titles saw the rise of a fleet of Swedish stars such as Mats Wilander and Stefan Edberg.

A couple of years after Warne surged like a blazing comet on to the international stage he produced a spin kit teaching children how to grip the ball to bowl his different deliveries.

More than 80,000 sets were sold. Those balls ended up everywhere. I remember being in an isolated fishing spot on Stradbroke Island and one floated in on the surf around my feet.

Coaches around Australia fantasised about the rise of a new generation of youngsters with blond hair and earrings and a leg-break that could turn a corner.

And rise they did. There's a famous photo taken in the mid-90s of five young spinners at the national under-age carnival with the earrings, blond tips and big dreams.

But none of them was much chop. The trade was just too hard for them. And captains didn't know how to handle them. All of them are gone now.

No surprise there. Outside the subcontinent, Australia is the only country who expects leg-spin to play a role at the top level.

The West Indies, England, New Zealand and South Africa have long rated their chances of unearthing a decent Test leggie on roughly the same level as unearthing the Loch Ness Monster, which reportedly has a better flipper than anyone from those nations.

Warne is now employed by Cricket Australia to tour the country and part of his message is to tell captains not to just bowl spinners two overs before lunch or when you have run out of options.

We have seen this summer through Ricky Ponting's embracing of Mitchell Johnson what a captain's support can do for a player's confidence.

But back to dear old Hoggy, who, in his own crazy way, is a wonderfully inspiring story for Generation Next. Hogg never bowled wrist spin until he was 23.

Former New South Wales spinner David Freedman saw him bowl some nice wrong-uns in the nets and urged him to take himself more seriously.

He is no S.K. Warne but his remarkable career is stretching into its 12th year, proving great rewards beckon for any man good enough to conquer cricket's toughest trade.

Link

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Hauritz would be under 28 for sure, his batting is handy bowling seems to be more suited towards the OD side of things he has hardly ever been picked for NSW FC side. NSW have too many spinners preventing others from coming up. Hauritz should have stayed in Qld to get more of a go rather than making our selectors have to continually chopping and changing.
He's played test cricket, so surely he's good enough for your FC side? Mind you, I guess with MacGill there he's struggled in the past.

Who is your main FC spinner at the moment?

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
He's played test cricket, so surely he's good enough for your FC side? Mind you, I guess with MacGill there he's struggled in the past.

Who is your main FC spinner at the moment?

Casson has been for the past 2 seasons, but with MacGill there he hasn't had long enough spells to develop.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah well I suppose that that's the reason MacGill retired from OD cricket, as did Warne in the last couple of years.

Anyway, I still wouldn't mind trialling Hauritz as an ODI spinner if he continues to play well. Obviously Hogg has filled the ODI spinner role for a long time except his few test runs.

I appear to be right that Hogg will disappear into the night after this series (as far as Tests go anyway).

I just don't like the fact that a guy who can't make our ODI team unless the pitch is dusty, is our number 1 test spinner.

Ponting_14

International Cricketer
What's going on with David Murphy from Wollongong? There was all this hype around him in November and then I heard he dropped out of form. Didn't even go to the U/19 World Cup. Don't let me guess, another overrated player from New South Wales?

Last edited:

edgefan007

School Cricketer
S.A Under 28s :-

G. Smith - Capt.
Alviro Peterson
H. Amla
AB De Villiers - V.C/W.K
J.P. Duminy
Albie Morkel
V. Philander
Paul Harris
Morne Morkel
Dale Steyn
Monde Zondeki
12th:F. De Wet

btw, the S.A U-28s team would be the Best !!!

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
What's going on with David Murphy from Wollongong? There was all this hype around him in November and then I heard he dropped out of form. Didn't even go to the U/19 World Cup. Don't let me guess, another overrated player from New South Wales?

Not even rated for me, never heard of him before.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Except Sachin all Indian side is under 28 in ODIs.

Users who are viewing this thread