Batting or bowling?

What is your favourite part of a cricket game?

• Total voters

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Face it, nobody gives a rats hoot n toot about bowling in cricket games... certainly not when you're playing by yourself, if you play online... you just want to get it over and done, with minimal damage.

Don't care about kits and names, just let me battle for an hour for a wicket, I don't wanna skittle teams out for less than 100 and finish a test on day 2..!

Lee pretty much sums up my views on cricket games. Very satisfying to apply real cricket tactics to a test situation, squeeze the runs, force a half-chance and take it.

Was wondering what the split was of people here for previous cricket games. I'll post a sociological analysis later ;)

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Bowling. Lara 2005 was pretty good for making me strive for a wicket, but there was also a lovely feeling that there could be a wicket next ball. When I'm batting I get impatient and just try hitting it out of the ground.

WhiteCat

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Batting has definitely been the better aspect of past cricket games on average, but I think that's been more a reflection of what the developers have targeted. Batting is definitely going to have more broad appeal so that's what has been focused on. Personally I'm sure that, if done well, I'd enjoy bowling a lot more.

Lee1981

International Coach
When I'm batting I get impatient and just try hitting it out of the ground.

Same here, I find when I'm batting in tests I really have to battle with myself to not slog every ball, as I find batting to easy, so I end up having to defend balls I know for a fact I could hit for 4-6 most deliveries,

I should have to defend because Steyn or Morkel are absolutely peppering me and I've slightly mudded my pants..

So hopefully the AI can really test me this time

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
I've thought about this a lot and didn't like the idea at first. I thought, "that's just not cricket!" However, after some thinking and a lot of FIFA, I'm starting to warm to Mark's suggestion of decreasing the number of overs per session in tests. I don't think I could ever play a test match. I have the patience to watch one but that's a lot different than playing one. I can't imagine myself playing for hours on end and then possibly losing, or worse, drawing a match. So, shorter tests- that would make batting and bowling more exciting for me.

I personally enjoy bowling more because you always get a second chance (i.e. another ball). When batting, if you're out, you're out and that's it.

Last edited:

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I prefer bowling in cricket be it game or real life. Bowling can be so much fun if applied correctly in cricket games. BLIC 2005 had a good bowling system but AI was unable to present any challenge. It would be so satisfying to out think a batsman by bowling him two or three over of outswing and getting him lbw/bowled with a sharp in-dipper or getting a player to come down the wicket against a leggie, get beaten in flight and keeper doing the rest.
Unfortunately batting is given a lot more attention in cricket games and in the end with the lack of penetration in bowling, even that seems to get boring. I would love to see bowling given due attention in AC2013.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Nobody likes fielding?:(

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Hated it tbh. I was just horrendously bad at it and I think I only took about one catch in 200+ attempts on IC10 (not an exaggeration). Made me enjoy bowling less for sure. I just autoplayed bowling because I knew I couldn't take a catch for my life.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
Well I got used to catching. Slip Catching was particularly fun if you ignore the animation aspect of it. I hope they improve on mechanics of fielding in IC 2010 with the upcoming game.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Lee pretty much sums up my views on cricket games. Very satisfying to apply real cricket tactics to a test situation, squeeze the runs, force a half-chance and take it.

I should prolly defend my position a little more eloquently by elaborating on my quote you've used, I'm specifically referencing Arcade gamers and casual cricket fans. I think it's a given you'll find the majority of people that visit Cricket Gaming forums to be on the "high end" of any Cricket Producers target demo, that is it say, we're probably in the minority for their target demo for the game. Therefore, your poll will reflect that. If you love cricket gaming (and cricket in general) you're going to enjoy bowling just as much, regardless of how well the game provides those needs for you.

We are the ones who enjoy the stats and 'beating' the game, modding it, playing it ad-nauseum when it's a over 5 year old game and still being upgraded every other hour by a user (Cricket07) so we're not exactly a good representation of what people like/enjoy in a MAINSTREAM cricket game. If Game studios targeted the high-end users like us, they would never make any money.

My comment regarding bowling was that GENERALLY speaking, your average gamer that would pick up a cricket game, doesn't really find the bowling aspect as compelling. That's not to say I do or don't, but whenever I've played online (very infrequently) a user has quit more often than not after they've batted first. Whenever I've played with friends, it's been a 10 over match that's primarily focused on out-scoring rather than out-bowling.

That being said...

I think the reason is simple; Cricket games more recently have eschewed the bowling/fielding aspect in favor of a greater, more compelling Batting simulation, which is disappointing. Cricket '13 SHOULD find a way to make the bowling aspect more compelling, more interesting for those same gamers that are picking up the game as casual cricket fans.

It's all in the mechanics and finding that equal balance. Since the game is called Ashes Cricket and not Ashes Batting. I think equal reverance and research should be put into making bowling a compelling element to the game. That would start (in my opinion) by drastically simplifying the control system from Cricket 09/10 and better AI batting so when you're playing on your own, bowling is more fun, less complicated but still has enough for us (the hardcore players) to enjoy.

It's all about balance.

Fielding is such a HUGE portion of the "Bowling" aspect that too needs to have some due-diligence put into making it more versatile and engaging. This again comes into play with the AI and simply having more fielding options than "Run after ball, Pick up Ball, Throw Ball back". Earlier cricket games let you select fielders (or automatically selected ones for you) to chase balls down. Since fielding is such a HUGE part of any teams performance these days (especially in regards to T20 Cricket) I would hope (nay, expect) any modern generation game to put equal effort into a versatile fielding simulation as well. Brian Lara Cricket is another example of fielding done reasonably well.

In short, simplifying the bowling whilst retaining enough flexibility with options, better controls and making it a more engaging and exciting part of cricket as it is in the REAL game, whilst giving us more flexibility with fielders and better animations/cut scenes and fielding and bowling AI in general goes a long way into making bowling and fielding equal to batting for casual gamers.

Last edited:

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
@Biggs - Sorry. I was aware I was being unfair; just wanted a good quote. Think of me as a tabloid journalist...

DNT101

School Cricketer
on offline mode i'd prefer bowling but when playing online, batting has always been my strenght

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Not unfair whatsoever, I just wanted to elaborate on my (more on the side of wit than anything) quote you used. I enjoy bowling just as much as the next person, but I'm not the target for a cricket game since I'm a one-eyed blood-in-the-vein cricket gaming lover and will pick it up regardless of quality.

I think the key for ANY cricket game is to find that balance between providing for us the hardcore gamers and the general public, where they're going to make their money. It's about making the game complex and in-depth enough to satisfy us whilst giving it plenty of 'pick-up-and-play' for the general cricket fans that would buy this game.

Part of the way to solving that problem is making Bowling (and fielding) more interactive, interesting and fun so those same people are compelled to play the whole game, rather than just the batting.

Users who are viewing this thread