Best Emerging Cricketer

Which of the following will make it to the top according to you ? ?

• Michael Clarke (Aus)

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Irfan Pathan (Ind)

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Ian Bell (Eng)

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • A.B.De Villiers (SA)

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • M.S.Dhoni (Ind)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Md.Ashraful (BAN)

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Kamran Akmal (Pak)

• Salman Butt (Pak)

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Kevin Pietersen (Eng)

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • L.Balaji (Ind)

• Hamish Marshall

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Total voters

amolbhatia85

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Clarke looks far better than peterson. Peterson is like a yuvraj singh or flintoff.

Clarke looks like a top class batsman.

I voted for pathan but clarke would be right up there.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I voted for Micheal Clarke. He sounds a very good prospect for me and if he keeps playing at his best, he would end up as one of the best players! He seems to have a good technique and he is very good against the spinners, some thing rare among the Aussies.

Kevin Pietersen is the No.2 best prospect in this list. Third comes Irfan and fourth comes Ashraful

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
I dont think its fair to say Clarke is better than Pietersen cuz the latter has so far done really well in international cricket. I think both are equally great cricketers.

amolbhatia85

School Cricketer
m_vaughan said:
I dont think its fair to say Clarke is better than Pietersen cuz the latter has so far done really well in international cricket. I think both are equally great cricketers.
I guess its too early to tell for both.
A couple of years back yuvraj was best young explosive batsman, but we all know what happened afterwards. Clarke just seems to me a much more authentic batsman. He plays spin as well as anyone, and being from australia, he can handle the pace. Iv seen him contribute and swing games when the chips have been down. I guess its too early to judge peterson. But its a good start for him.
BTW how old are these two??

amolbhatia85

School Cricketer
yeah and clarke is 24.
Why do players from western countries start so late? Pathan is 20, harbhajan is 25..

Ryand

Club Cricketer
I just saw Denesh Ramdin for whe windies and it looks like he could be a great wicket keeper batsman.He' only 19 so we will be seeing him for some time

squiz

International Coach
amolbhatia85 said:
yeah and clarke is 24.
Why do players from western countries start so late? Pathan is 20, harbhajan is 25..
Probably because we have far better players in the team. Why drop Steve Waugh/Darren Lehmann (Both averaging over 50 in Tests and in good form) for a young player. That's the problem that most countries around the world face. They see a player doing alright in their domestic comps, then when introduced into the Test arena, fail miserably.

duffarama

Chairman of Selectors
I voted for Michael Clarke, but I think Danish Kaneria is getting up there as one of the best emerging talents.

This is an excerpt from Cricinfo:
Over the last seven months, Kaneria has bowled to some of the best batsmen of spin bowling - he was involved in series against Sri Lanka, Australia and India - and no-one has treated him with quite as much disdain as Lara did (though he spoiled the numbers when he tickled one down the leg side in the second innings in Jamaica). It wasn't as if Kaneria was bowling badly either - Ramnaresh Sarwan, arguably West Indies' next-best talent, struggled to read his spin and variations, eking out 15 runs off 72 balls, a rate of 1.25 runs per over.

A comparison of the manner in which the top batsmen from various teams played Kaneria tells the story of just how dominant Lara was. In the home series against Sri Lanka, none of the batsmen managed a strike rate of more than 65 against him; the Australians were a bit better, with Justin Langer and Adam Gilchrist managing scoring rates of more than 75 (among batsmen who faced at least 50 balls from him). The Indians struggled to get him away too, as the table below indicates.

Balls Runs/ dismissals Scoring rate
Brian Lara 133 135/ 2 101.50
Justin Langer 121 98/ 2 80.99
Adam Gilchrist 82 62/ 2 75.61
Wavell Hinds 87 64/ 1 73.56
Virender Sehwag 195 142/ 1 72.82
Sanath Jayasuriya 159 101/ 3 63.52
Ricky Ponting 222 131/ 59.01
Shivnarine Chanderpaul 168 91/ 3 54.17
Sachin Tendulkar 193 101/ 0 52.33
Rahul Dravid 254 132/ 3 51.97
Mahela Jayawardene 101 39/ 2 38.61
VVS Laxman 133 39/ 2 29.32
Ramnaresh Sarwan 72 15/ 1 20.83

http://content.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/210822.html

Sureshot

Executive member
Ryand said:
Tino Best has definately improved

:D

Kaneria is very impressive.

I think you can only compare the youngsters in a few years time, maybe after World Cup.

Users who are viewing this thread