Best Music of the 21st Century

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
There are a few music threads already but I wanted your opinions on what you thought were/are the 10 best musicians of the 21st century, these can be solo acts and/or bands. All types of music, in fact, the more varied the better. :)

My Top 10:

1. Eminem
Best Album: The Eminem Show (2002)
Best Song: Cleanin' Out My Closest​
You ask someone about Eminem and the responses vary from "oh he's just vulgar" to "he is the greatest musical artist of all time", in reality, the truth lies somewhere in between. Eminem is, in my opinion the best hip hop artist of the 21st century and with The Eminem Show, his 4th album, he took everything that had come before and perfected it, pushing what could be done in mainstream rap. Many view the likes of Jay Z as the biggest rapper of the 21st century and financially that may just be, true but there is no one who has been as influential as Eminem in the genre.

2. Coldplay
Best Album: Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends
Best Song: The Scientist/Viva la Vida​
Coldplay are heavily influenced by one of the UK's biggest and best 20th century bands, Oasis but unlike their inspiration, Coldplay have matured and bettered with age. Each album has evolved, adding a new sound, a new stance and pushing what is possible in pop/rock. After years of toiling away without mainstream appeal, Coldplay exploded half way through the last decade. They haven't looked back since. Easily one of my favourite bands ever and so high up on my list for their consistency and gradual evolution.

3. Kings of Leon
Best Album: Only By The Night
Best Song: Sex On Fire​
Critics be damned, KOL are easily one of the most iconic rock bands of the 21st century and have produced countless hits. In my opinion Only By The Night is a truly iconic album, featuring hit after hit but sadly it's also the one which is most panned by critics, why? I have no idea. This is KOL maturing yet keeping alive some youthful exuberance, belting out anthems and less gregarious tunes too. It's the most balanced album Leon have ever made, pushing them ever further into the ranking of legends.

4. Lupe Fiasco​
Best Album: Food & Liquor
Best Song: The Show Goes On​
Lupe Fiasco may just be the single most underrated rapper on the planet. His albums are constantly full of surprised and just like a chameleon, he can transform as a performer, from one song to another. There have been plenty of socially and politically conscious musicians in the past, but Lupe made it cool. It's refreshing to have a hip hop star not constantly writing and rhyming about sex, girls and how much money they have. Lupe is as fresh today as he was almost 7 years ago.

5. The Killers​
Best Album: Hot Fuss
Best Song: Mr Brightside​
The Killers may never reach the heights they did with their first album but what an album it was, almost every song was dripping with class and ingenuity, with Mr. Brightside probably the best single of the 21st century. Sadly they never managed to climb that mountain of musical bliss ever again but they have been consistent and with their latest work (Battle Born), are working their way back towards the top of the mountain.

6. Damian Marley​
Best Album: Welcome To Jamrock
Best Song: Welcome To Jamrock​
I first heard Damian Marley a long time ago, in a friends car and had no idea what I had just heard. My friend told me it was Bob Marley's son, so, when I got home, I typed him into youtube and was instantly hooked. Since then I've downloaded all his albums and love turning on a smooth Damian tune when I'm driving along, relaxing in some of the best reggae beats of the 21st century. With Jamrock, Junior Gong took his music to another level, having the social/political insight of his legendary father and knowing when to tone it down and pick up the good vibes. A legend in the making.

7. Mattafix
Best Album: Signs Of A Struggle
Best Song: Passer By​
Just 2 albums but what albums they were. It was a mix of reggae, hiphop, rap and everything in between with a decidedly British flavour. Mattafix burst onto the scene and were something fresh, especially for anyone looking for anything not resembling processed crap, which has become problematic with many of the big stars and their studio albums. It's sad that the two men, Marlon Roudette and Preteesh Hirji have parted ways but all good things must end.

8. Jay-Z
Best Album: The Blueprint
Best Song: Change The Game​
Jay-Z is no longer the rapper he once was, I think that's fair to say. Kingdom Come was probably his last exceptional album and The Blueprint his last great effort. Jay-Z is now more Beyonce's husband and rap innovator, which is sad because there was a time, growing up, that Jay-Z was battling near the top of everyone's hiphop lists alongside TuPac and Eminem. His last few albums have been sad impersonations of a once great legend but he still has The Dynasty, Kingdom Come and The Blueprint for me to listen to.

9. Kasabian
Best Album: Empire
Best Song: Fire​
Quirky, fun, inventive, inconsistent are all adjectives which can be used to describe Kasabian, a band which has thrilled as much as they have disappointed. Their recent album was a terrific return to form after what was, in my opinion, a bit of a damp squib with West Rider...A good album, very highly rated by some but not to my liking and an album in which Kasabian seemed to be lost, not quite knowing the direction they should take. Then again it's that uncertainty and left field musical choices which have kept me hooked for so long.

10. Mumford and Sons
Best Album: Babel
Best Song: Babel​
Folk rock, I had no idea what that was until Mumford and Sons exploded onto the scene with Sigh No More and completely blowing my mind with Little Lion Man...seriously, have you ever heard a song like that before? Babel and the hit single, Babel took them to new levels of composition, this is a band verging on greatness. They'd be higher up this list if they had a bit more material.

Varun

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I'll add up more later, but IMO Eminem's greatest ever song is Lose Yourself, closely followed by Stan. In fact, Stan is such masterful storytelling, it might even be better than Lose Yourself (again, in my opinion). Such an underrated song. Whereas Eminem himself is rather overrated nowadays. Why? Because most people believe Love the Way You Lie, Not Afraid and others are his best songs. "Stan? How boring!"

And Radiohead. And Incubus. And Arcade Fire. And AR Rahman (for real). Hopefully I'll be able to elucidate.

S

Satan666

This is a tough one since most of the music post 2000 has generally been poor as compared to the 80's and 90's.

Anyways here is the 666 member's top 10 music acts since 2000:

1. Lady Gaga (some great songs, Alejandro and Poker Face where she looked extremely beautiful;))

2. Eminem: Cleaning out my Closet is also my fav, remembered I played it a couple years ago for my mom on mother's day!

3. Alicia Keys (Beautiful voice, No One stands out as her best yet)

4. Justin Beiber (Yes I am a Belieber!)

5. The Strokes: Hard to Explain.

6. Adele: Set Fire to the Rain, a masterclass.

7. Fifty Cents: Wanksta, best song.

8. Amy Winehouse: A wide repertoire of songs hard to choose my favourite.

9. Taylor Swift: You belong with me, best.

10. Kendrick Lamar: Represents hip hop at its core, Swimming Pools best song.

Varun

ICC Board Member
No mention of Eminem's Kim in the 666 list? :eek:

Sulaiman7

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Justin Timberlake's Mirrors, anyone? :)

Me , one of my favourite song. Has anybody heard Chevelle - Well enough alone ?

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
lol

He's one of the best producers of all time, has 3 GOAT tier albums of his own as well as another 4 very good albums and is one of the most entertaining personalities in the world.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
lol

He's one of the best producers of all time, has 3 GOAT tier albums of his own as well as another 4 very good albums and is one of the most entertaining personalities in the world.

You call it entertaining, I call it idiotic.

He is a good producer, no doubt, but not even close to a top 10 of all-time IMO.

Besides that he writes shallow lyrics and his flow is terrible.

Not sure why 50 Cent is in this thread either. As a hip-hop artist he is pretty bad himself as well and only has a few good songs to his name.

Users who are viewing this thread