Best Music of the 21st Century

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
No....once you explore rock, alternative rock especially, in depth it's easy to realize Linkin Park just employ the formulaic, repetitive style of rock. Like Nickleback. Maybe people connect to them (I didn't though, just found them catchy), but their music hasn't the depth Coldplay, Radiohead, Arcade Fire, or even Muse would have. See? I just listed 4 bands which are surefire better than them. Sorry, Linkin Park is overrated. By teenagers (meh, generalization) who haven't been exposed to much music except them.

----------

Add Incubus to that, and we have five bands better than Linkin Park already. And that's just rock/alternative rock. We haven't even explored other genres, which would definitely yield more brilliant music. Sigur Ros is amazing too.

Otherwise, it's just perspective and opinion. Can't argue with that. *shrugs*

Bloody hell mate spot on again.

On the topic of alternative rock, any fans of OK Go's Here It Goes Again? Best videoclip easily of the century and a great song too.

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
Idk how you can say The Show Goes On is his best song. Agree with Lupe though, my favourite rapper alongside Eminem. His lyrics are the best by a long way and I don't think anyone can argue with that. But yes, quite underrated as a rapper.

Anyway, I agree with Eminem, Lupe and The Killers. Coldplay also, but I wouldn't put him as 2nd.

Linkin Park should be in the top 10 even after really being disappointing with his last couple of albums. And I'd put Rise Against up there as well.

My list would be much more varied than normal though as I prefer to like music that not every single person in the world listens to.

I love The Cool and Food & Liquor but his last 2 albums were such disappointments. His Kendrick reply was pretty great though so here's hoping his new album will be a return to form.

also I can't believe I missed out Madvillainy from my list. One of my favourite albums of all time.

Auwais

International Coach
Be, The Black Album and Tha Carter III were all from this century and I'd say those are three of the best hip hop albums of the modern era. Not to mention the production on his own albums. MBDTF has probably the best production ever for a hip hop album.
I've always preferred his production for others than for his own.

I agree with Be and his part-production on Blueprint and Quality are worth mentioning. Talib Kweli - Get By is my favourite track that he's ever produced.
Good list Auwais, but Kendrick's good kid, m.A.A.d city has to be in there.
The list was just from the last decade. If it was 2010+ then Kendrick's would be numero uno, a modern classic IMO.

S

Satan666

I was replying to Dr. Pepper who said he was one of the best producers of all time.

50 Cent is a terrible rapper and in terms of hits he can't touch most pop artists.

----------

Good list Auwais, but Kendrick's good kid, m.A.A.d city has to be in there.

No, Dr. pepper was posting with respect to Kanye West, youre the one who started the argument with respect to 50 cents.

Obviously most pop songs receive higher ratings than rap songs due to the huge number of followers, hence it is called pop music. If youre a rap fan you should surely enjoy some of fifty cents' songs!

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

His only song I like, predominantly due to bare and honest lyrics.

Last edited by a moderator:

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Yeah that is the only song of his I wholeheartedly like, mainly due to Nate Dogg's presence. Amazing voice. Not a big fan of the lyrics though since it's a pretty generic love song sort of lyrics.

----------

No, Dr. pepper was posting with respect to Kanye West, youre the one who started the argument with respect to 50 cents.

Obviously most pop songs receive higher ratings than rap songs due to the huge number of followers, hence it is called pop music. If youre a rap fan you should surely enjoy some of fifty cents' songs!

I was talking about Kanye West, and sorry, I don't rate him at all.

If you think 50 Cent is the epitome of rap you are sorely mistaken and I can then see why rap has such a bad reputation if that's the general opinion, that all it is is rapping about how much money you have and how many 'b*itches' you have.

----------

I've always preferred his production for others than for his own.

I agree with Be and his part-production on Blueprint and Quality are worth mentioning. Talib Kweli - Get By is my favourite track that he's ever produced.

The list was just from the last decade. If it was 2010+ then Kendrick's would be numero uno, a modern classic IMO.

On the topic of Talib Kweli, I do love Mos Def's The Ecstatic as well. Nothing will match their Black Star album though.

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
I love The Cool and Food & Liquor but his last 2 albums were such disappointments.

Agreed. There's a few songs I like from the past couple of albums, but his older stuff was better.

And I don't think Linkin Park is the best. I think Muse is better. But I just find that with the influence they had with their early stuff, they'd be up there.

Either way, my top 10 favourite band/artists of recent times would be: (not saying these are the best, just my favourites, no particular order)

Eminem
Lupe Fiasco
Three Days Grace
Rise Against
DatsiK
Example
The Killers
3 Doors Down
Xilent
Shinedown

CremerCurrans

ICC Chairman
SA.....
ZIM...
Profile Flag
Zimbabwe
This is the top ten of the century IMO.

Radiohead
Coldplay
The Killers
Mum
Sigur Ros
Interpol
Bjork
The Strokes
Belle & Sebastian
Boards of Canada

Don't listen to much hip hop music, so it's hard for me to suggest any that could be in the top ten.

Don't really listen to the top three on my list, just think they deserve to be there considering they've made some great music. :)

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Yeah from the little I've seen of The Killers over the years from their singles, they have always really impressed me.

S

Satan666

I was talking about Kanye West, and sorry, I don't rate him at all.

If you think 50 Cent is the epitome of rap you are sorely mistaken and I can then see why rap has such a bad reputation if that's the general opinion, that all it is is rapping about how much money you have and how many 'b*itches' you have.

I think youre confusing yourself now, gonna give you the benefit of the doubt.

As for Kanye he produces music which deserves to be in the gutter, as far as I am concerned!

Which post I referred to Fiddy as the 'epitome of rap'?

If I was interested in lyrics concerning 'b*itches and money and cars' then I would ve rated Birdman, Lilwayne, Rich boy, and the alike, which I didnt.

In Fiddy's song Wanksta there is nothing about 'B*itches and money".

50 Cent - Wanksta Lyrics - YouTube

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
Belle & Sebastian

finally got to see them this weekend (I had to go to bloody france despite the fact they live in the same city as me) they were astonishingly good live.

I have never heard of half the stuff in this thread but given it's sitting linkin park, coldplay, mumford & sons and 50 cent I'm going to guess it's all rubbish anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread