Bird Flu confirmed in Scotland

• Thread starter Deleted member 11215
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 11215

Bird flu confirmed in dead swan

_41528136_birdflu_fife_203.gif

Preliminary tests have confirmed the H5 avian flu virus in a sample from a swan found dead in north east Fife, health officials have revealed.
The exact virus strain is not known, but tests were continuing and further results were expected on Thursday.

The Scottish Executive said the area around Cellardyke, north of Anstruther, was being sealed off.

If the disease is confirmed as the deadly H5N1 strain there may be further restrictions put in place.

The dead bird was found near the coast in an emaciated state. Samples were being sent for analysis at the EU's bird flu laboratory in Weybridge, Surrey.

QUICK GUIDE
inline_dashed_line.gif

Bird flu

An executive spokesman said: "In accordance with a recent EU decision the Scottish Executive is putting in place a protection zone of a minimum of three kilometres radius and a surveillance zone of 10 kilometres.

"Keepers of birds in the protection zone are being instructed to isolate their birds from wild birds, by taking them indoors where ever possible."

Measures to restrict the movement of poultry, eggs and poultry products from these zones will be brought into effect immediately.

Officials stressed that there was no reason for public health concern.

o.gif
start_quote_rb.gif
Bird keepers outside the protection zone should redouble their efforts to prepare for bringing their birds indoors if that becomes necessary
end_quote_rb.gif

Chief Veterinary Officer for Scotland
Charles Milne

The H5N1 virus does not at present pose a large-scale threat to humans, as it cannot pass easily from one person to another.

However, experts fear the virus could mutate to gain this ability, and in its new form trigger a flu pandemic, potentially putting millions of human lives at risk.

According to the National Farmers Union Scotland, the Scottish poultry industry produces 127,000 tones of meat and 740 million eggs. However, there are thought to be no poultry farms in the area of flu case.

_41528190_swanpolandap203.jpg
The H5N1 strain was found in swans in Poland last month

Chief Veterinary Officer for Scotland Charles Milne said: "Whilst disease has yet to be confirmed, this is an important development.

"Bird keepers outside the protection zone should redouble their efforts to prepare for bringing their birds indoors if that becomes necessary.

"They must also review their biosecurity measures to ensure that all possible precautions have been taken."

Liberal Democrat leader Sir Menzies Campbell, in whose Fife North East constituency the bird was found, said he would follow the situation "very closely".

High alert

He said: "I have spoken directly to the (agriculture) minister, Ben Bradshaw, who has told me there cannot be final confirmation until tomorrow.

"I have his assurance that all necessary steps will be taken and that there is no health risk to humans."

First Minister Jack McConnell said he had spoken to other ministerial offices and was being kept informed of the situation.

o.gif
start_quote_rb.gif
Over the last few weeks we've seen swans and other birds dying in Western Europe
end_quote_rb.gif

Dr David Nabarro
UN bird flu co-ordinator

Mr McConnell was notified whilst on an engagement in Washington as part of his involvement in Tartan Week.

BBC Scotland rural affairs correspondent Ken Rundle said that whilst the poultry industry would be on high alert, there would be relief that the virus had been found on a wild bird and not on a poultry farm.

Denmark recorded its first case of the potentially deadly H5N1 avian flu virus last month.

The strain has already been found in Europe in Switzerland, Poland, Serbia-Montenegro and Albania.

France recorded its first case in February.

Dr David Nabarro, the UN bird flu co-ordinator, told News 24: "Over the last few weeks we've seen swans and other birds dying in Western Europe and being found to have this virus, H5N1, on board.

"So, it's quite to be expected you have a case appearing in Scotland."

Copywrite BBC

Cowburn199

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Oh no. Call me over protective but i'm quite worried about bird flu. I know you can't catch it from food but I havn't ate Chicken or Turkey for a month now just to be sure. I think it's time Great Britain took drastic action before it gets out of hand.

D

Deleted member 11215

i got a idea catch all the birds in a big net and send them to space :)

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Cowburn199 said:
Oh no. Call me over protective but i'm quite worried about bird flu. I know you can't catch it from food but I havn't ate Chicken or Turkey for a month now just to be sure. I think it's time Great Britain took drastic action before it gets out of hand.
My family has stopped cooking chicken and eggs too. Although we do eat it from ouside, my mom just refuses to cook it. To risky to touch raw chicken...

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I don't see how these exlcusion zones are going to make any difference to how the virus spreads.
I'm not going as far as not eating chicken and eggs though.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Am I the only person who thinks that the risk is nowhere near as much as people are making it out to be? Remember 3 years ago when we were all going to die of SARS?

To stop myself catching it, I'll cut down on my habit of snorting bird sh!t.

Cowburn199

International Coach
andrew_nixon said:
I'll cut down on my habit of snorting bird sh!t.
:laugh
Sure we don't know if it will become huge and kill thousands. But we need to take the actions just incase.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Cowburn199 said:
Sure we don't know if it will become huge and kill thousands. But we need to take the actions just incase.
Exactly. The action needed to be taken by an individual is simply avoiding coming into close contact with bird droppings, bird saliva and bird nasal secretions. Giving up eating chicken/eggs or any other form of bird related food is not going to reduce your chances one bit.

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
andrew_nixon said:
Am I the only person who thinks that the risk is nowhere near as much as people are making it out to be? Remember 3 years ago when we were all going to die of SARS?

I'm with you. The constant coverage it gets on the news is ridiculous and certainly hasn't helped the 'situation' in my opinion.

andrew_nixon said:

LOL

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
I'm not gonna worry until something actually happens, just because a Swan died doesn't mean were all gonna die.

andrew_nixon said:

The Spin

Panel of Selectors
I must agree, people may be taking this too far. Its doesnt mean that everyone will die, in fact, they may be able to isolate this to the extent that it goes away!

D

Deleted member 11215

i think that bird flu is exaggerated because like it was said it was SARS before and as long we we dont go getting bird crap in our mouth i think we'll be ok. also as long as we dont all hug chickens were fine.

FreddieFan

International Coach
(Correct me if I'm wrong about this)

Bird flu is not dangerous at the moment. It, at the moment, can only infect birds. What we do need to worry about is it mutating. If it mutates into a form that can harm humans, then we start worrying. Hopefully, that mutation will never happen.

i think that bird flu is exaggerated because like it was said it was SARS before and as long we we dont go getting bird crap in our mouth i think we'll be ok. also as long as we dont all hug chickens were fine.

I heard a story that reminds me of this, shortly after the Boxing Day 2004 tsunami. I saw an interview with the bloke who used to be in charge of costal watching in Indonesia somewhee, who had lost his job a few years previously for evacuating the area for a tsunami that never came. Possibly this would make the people for the real one more reluctant to start evacuating the area until they were sure it was a tsunami (by which time it was too late).

In short, just becuase the last panic didn't ahppen, dont just assume that this one won't either.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread