BLIC 07; A Differnt Review

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Ok, having read lots of reviews, hearing many opinions im going to stand up and defend Codies here, amazingly.

normal_blic07_logo.jpg

Im going to remind you all of a simpler time, BLIC 05, we all agreed it was easy and the AI was a bit stupid but it was enjoyable the same, more a multiplayer game than a single player game, well 07 is exactly the same.

Yestoday Colin(Barmyarmy) quoted "Your money is going towards online play nothing more," (Or something to that effect :rolleyes: ) and i believe this is 100% true, as the AI is a bit dumb, well ok a lot dumb but from speaking to those who've had a good long time playing online they say its fairly good, so i reckon this is a big part to BLIC 07's success.

If your like me and your Router wont let you sign on to Xbox live, or you cant get online with it, then we have to put up with 6 smashingly easy games.

But!.....theres advantages here;

I believe due to the "pick up and play," factor Codies have tried to give the game, and they've said they tried to make it as easy for non-cricket fans, its possible to see it for us "experts," and we expect a more complex game, but i reckon if you forget about the AI problems its still a fairly good game.

I'll tell you about a Super 8 game i had, England would be me - after this story you'll see exactly why it turned out like this...Its England afterall.

The big match, England v New Zealand, i won the toss and elected to bat, although im a better bowler i wanted runs on the board for Fred and the gang to defend, with Dalrymple taking a break and Mahmood coming in, i expected big things. How right i was.

Started off with a fairly slow first ten overs, i made 54/0 and i was proud of myself and i decided to really stick in and start trying to smack it around a bit (id not really tried in the 10 overs previous for many big shots) Vaughan facing Vettori and Virgil finds a length ball just niggling away from him, comes down the pitch and leathers it right into the waiting hands of a waiting Bond in the cover region. It carried on this way and after 42.3 overs id amassed 277ao which i thought was a pretty decent score, seeing as id purposely leather it around since the start of the 10th over.

Now it was time to bowl, this is BLIC downfall. The AI doesn't account situations, and soon NZ found themselves in trouble 10/4 and really nothing happening, you'd think a team would be thinking, "Right we need to go at a steady rate for the loss of no wickets, keep the ball on the ground and push for runs," but no, still the batsmen - and bowlers, tried to go over the top and only achieved either being caught, ran out or stupidly slogging a ball which wasn't anywhere near there to be slogged.

In the end they only managed 32ao and i was a little disappointed and decided, come the next game - Pakistan i think - id go out and try to get a better game, i've yet to play this game :p

Anyways, after my little story, i know the AI is incredibly stupid, i know its easy to score runs, to take wickets, to basically do a Australia on the whole of the cricketing world, but lets face it, BLIC isn't a serious game, its got all the intentions of a serious cricket game but due to a charm it just isn't - its a game for multi-player....its a game for the occassion...World cup final England (hopefully) Vs. Australia, the greatest show on earth, before the big kick off its a game which you and your mate whos come round to watch the big final and decided to have a bit of a slap, bang, wollop on BLIC - thats where its incredibly fun!

Those who say negetive things towards BLIC are probably justified to do so, but in my opinion i bought the game knowing full well if i wanted to play a serious cricket game id have stuck with EA, i had bought my Xbox last week in anticipation of a game with amazing graphics, which BLIC has, and a six smashingly good time, now i know it isn't real cricket, but hitting Brett Lee for a sweep slogged six feels good, Mal Lye did it, and you get a feeling iamb sure Shahid Afridi gets every time he pulls of a monstrously weird shot!

Thanks for reading, sorry for any mistakes in grammar and what not.

themuel1

International Coach
Simbazz said:
Ok, having read lots of reviews, hearing many opinions im going to stand up and defend Codies here, amazingly.

normal_blic07_logo.jpg

Im going to remind you all of a simpler time, BLIC 05, we all agreed it was easy and the AI was a bit stupid but it was enjoyable the same, more a multiplayer game than a single player game, well 07 is exactly the same.

Yestoday Colin(Barmyarmy) quoted "Your money is going towards online play nothing more," (Or something to that effect :rolleyes: ) and i believe this is 100% true, as the AI is a bit dumb, well ok a lot dumb but from speaking to those who've had a good long time playing online they say its fairly good, so i reckon this is a big part to BLIC 07's success.

If your like me and your Router wont let you sign on to Xbox live, or you cant get online with it, then we have to put up with 6 smashingly easy games.

But!.....theres advantages here;

I believe due to the "pick up and play," factor Codies have tried to give the game, and they've said they tried to make it as easy for non-cricket fans, its possible to see it for us "experts," and we expect a more complex game, but i reckon if you forget about the AI problems its still a fairly good game.

I'll tell you about a Super 8 game i had, England would be me - after this story you'll see exactly why it turned out like this...Its England afterall.

The big match, England v New Zealand, i won the toss and elected to bat, although im a better bowler i wanted runs on the board for Fred and the gang to defend, with Dalrymple taking a break and Mahmood coming in, i expected big things. How right i was.

Started off with a fairly slow first ten overs, i made 54/0 and i was proud of myself and i decided to really stick in and start trying to smack it around a bit (id not really tried in the 10 overs previous for many big shots) Vaughan facing Vettori and Virgil finds a length ball just niggling away from him, comes down the pitch and leathers it right into the waiting hands of a waiting Bond in the cover region. It carried on this way and after 42.3 overs id amassed 277ao which i thought was a pretty decent score, seeing as id purposely leather it around since the start of the 10th over.

Now it was time to bowl, this is BLIC downfall. The AI doesn't account situations, and soon NZ found themselves in trouble 10/4 and really nothing happening, you'd think a team would be thinking, "Right we need to go at a steady rate for the loss of no wickets, keep the ball on the ground and push for runs," but no, still the batsmen - and bowlers, tried to go over the top and only achieved either being caught, ran out or stupidly slogging a ball which wasn't anywhere near there to be slogged.

In the end they only managed 32ao and i was a little disappointed and decided, come the next game - Pakistan i think - id go out and try to get a better game, i've yet to play this game :p

Anyways, after my little story, i know the AI is incredibly stupid, i know its easy to score runs, to take wickets, to basically do a Australia on the whole of the cricketing world, but lets face it, BLIC isn't a serious game, its got all the intentions of a serious cricket game but due to a charm it just isn't - its a game for multi-player....its a game for the occassion...World cup final England (hopefully) Vs. Australia, the greatest show on earth, before the big kick off its a game which you and your mate whos come round to watch the big final and decided to have a bit of a slap, bang, wollop on BLIC - thats where its incredibly fun!

Those who say negetive things towards BLIC are probably justified to do so, but in my opinion i bought the game knowing full well if i wanted to play a serious cricket game id have stuck with EA, i had bought my Xbox last week in anticipation of a game with amazing graphics, which BLIC has, and a six smashingly good time, now i know it isn't real cricket, but hitting Brett Lee for a sweep slogged six feels good, Mal Lye did it, and you get a feeling iamb sure Shahid Afridi gets every time he pulls of a monstrously weird shot!

Thanks for reading, sorry for any mistakes in grammar and what not.

I agree with what your saying Simon, but the number of cricket fans that buy this will far outweigh the number of non cricket fans. All you need is tutorials for people that want to learn about the game. I think even non-cricket fans will get bored with the total lack of challenge in the game.

Personally, I don't want a game thats easy, its not fun and lacks a total sense of achievement. I think most that bought it thought it was going to be a much harder game, with a much brighter A.I. as that was the first improvment suggested on BLIC05. You only have to look at reactions from Stevie, Colin or Gas to see that and see the total sense of Codies letting us down.

Chimp132

International Cricketer
great review mate, i think codies have done quite a good job, id say that they wanted this game to be as or more exciting as blic05 which was a huge sucsess, i think blic07 is the most exciting cricket game around.

if u wanna play it realisticly, just go for 4 -5 a over then tap it around in the middle overs, and youve got a good score, great game for batting.

bowling it ok and can be very exciting for instance i was all out for 177 as england, thn it was the 11th over and newzeland were 77-0 so i brung on monty and got 2 wickets in a over which was great.

thanks to the people that could be asked to read this. :cheers

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
themuel1 said:
I agree with what your saying Simon, but the number of cricket fans that buy this will far outweigh the number of non cricket fans. All you need is tutorials for people that want to learn about the game. I think even non-cricket fans will get bored with the total lack of challenge in the game.

Personally, I don't want a game thats easy, its not fun and lacks a total sense of achievement. I think most that bought it thought it was going to be a much harder game, with a much brighter A.I. as that was the first improvment suggested on BLIC05. You only have to look at reactions from Stevie, Colin or Gas to see that and see the total sense of Codies letting us down.

Yeah there letting us down, yeah they had a year...and more to correct AI issues and all but i reckon its a very differnt game to EA's and i love it.

The most exciting, and i mean heart pounding, moment i had was when England put on 234/5 in 50 overs, then India came in to bat, got to 104/0 then lost Ganguly, and then kind of clinked and clunked up to 230 with 3 balls to spare and only one wicket in hand with Dhoni on strike, now having taken the choice to give Flintoff the last over, i had to devise three balls that would go for less than 5, first ball smacked away, 2 runs, 3 to save....second ball....no run, nearly a wicket. third ball, last ball, 2 runs to win, 1 to draw, Dhoni goes for the big one down cow corner and it takes a scrambling dive from no one more than Mr. Monty P to save the day, England lost in the final to Australia :(

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
For some reason towards the end of your review it made me feel less ripped off, maybe it is fun online :p thanks for the false hope!

;)

aprofromindia

Club Cricketer
sort your router out it should let you sign on to XBOX online; ust do a search on the net and get the proper router.

grandprix_4

School Cricketer
It's a game!

I'm sure there will be patchers out there that will fine tune it like they have all other games.

Ankit kukreti

Club Cricketer
Yes good review :cheers. AI and difficulty is was letting peple down. Codies should have definitely made it more difficult and challenging.

Chimp132 said:
great review mate, i think codies have done quite a good job, id say that they wanted this game to be as or more exciting as blic05 which was a huge sucsess, i think blic07 is the most exciting cricket game around.

if u wanna play it realisticly, just go for 4 -5 a over then tap it around in the middle overs, and youve got a good score, great game for batting.

bowling it ok and can be very exciting for instance i was all out for 177 as england, thn it was the 11th over and newzeland were 77-0 so i brung on monty and got 2 wickets in a over which was great.

thanks to the people that could be asked to read this. :cheers

:cool:. We will have to play like real real cricket and take 4-5 runs in over. It will be a challenge to our self than computer :( . Anyways I was expecting this to happen it is only a game after all.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
aprofromindia said:
sort your router out it should let you sign on to XBOX online; ust do a search on the net and get the proper router.
Are your ports forwarded incorrectly? Is the problem with your router that it is extremely hard to set up the forwarding rules?

You need to open port 3074 on TCP/UDP and 88 on UDP alone.

Users who are viewing this thread