Bob Woolmer Dies (May 14, 1948 - March 18, 2007)

• Thread starter Deleted member 11215
  • Start date

Ricco_M

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I'm absolutely gutted after hearing this sad news. The game of cricket has lost one of it's shining lights. This great man lived and breathed cricket and done so much for the development of the game. He greatly helped the advancement of cricket in the associate nations like Ireland, Scotland and Holland. I'm sure in a bizzare way he would of been really proud of Ireland beating Pakistan yesterday as it was one of his aspirations to see a rise in profile of the game in associate country's . My thoughts & prayers are with his family and I thank them for the life and impact that Bob Woolmer has left on our beloved game.

The greatest way in which the cricket community can pay respect is to continue to play all games and hopefully great cricket will be played in the remaining weeks of this tournament. In this way we can all pay Bob back in dedication to the massive impact he had on the modern game. It's what he would of wanted and I'm sure he'll be looking on from above - not missing one ball.

Last edited:

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Mickz said:
R.I.P Bob :(

P.S > Check the comments made by users on his own blog (before he died.) - http://blogs.cricinfo.com/bobsworld/archives/2007/03/time_for_retrospection.php#comments
That brought a tear to my eye when reading it-I don't know why. I have a pit in my stomach, no its not something i ate.
It was this sentence:

Posted by Bob Woolmer 2 days, 2 hours ago in 2007 World Cup
I don't know why, I'm an Indian, I don't support Pakistan, infact they are our arch rivals! Its..complicated. :( :(

irottev

School Cricketer
I feel for him a lot too. I am not a huge fan of Pakistan but he seemed like a really good guy. It's defiantly made today a sad day for me.

borncricketer

Panel of Selectors<br><a href="http://www.planetcr
Well really shocking news, was not home and got calls from few of my freinds saying did u hear what happned and stuff. Really sad news for the cricketing world. March 17th and 18th two very sad days in my life..

shahid6995

Club Cricketer
Cricketman93 said:
That brought a tear to my eye when reading it-I don't know why. I have a pit in my stomach, no its not something i ate.
It was this sentence:

I don't know why, I'm an Indian, I don't support Pakistan, infact they are our arch rivals! Its..complicated. :( :(
Its not complicated. Tragedies like this make us remember that there are larger things in life than "arch rivalries". Its part of being a human being. You should not even be thinking of Pak vs India at a time like this, cricket has lost a great servant of the game and forever more the cricketing world will be the poorer. This is not a Pakistani tragedy, it is a catastrophe for the cricket world. We are all united in mourning his passing. May he rest in peace.

Mona brothers

School Boy Cricketers
Bob woolmer made the Pakistan to reach second rank in TEST RANkINGS He worked a lot for pakistan cricket team.. Sudden and sad demise of him willshock everyone in cricketing world....

lazy_chesnut

International Coach
Firstly, I would like to say what terrible news this is, as anyone who ever spoke to Bob Woolmer seems to be coming out of the woodwork to say what an amazing guy he was and how he always had time for anyone who wanted to speak to him.

Secondly, I think that it would be precisely the right thing to do for the Pakistan team to play the Zimbabwe match, and play their very best cricket in order to show everyone how much this means to them.

Somehow, it doesn't surprise me in the least that there were Pakistani fans chanting for Woolmer's death after the Ireland defeat (I have only heard this allegation on this forum, mind you). When I first heard the news of Bob Woolmer's death I wondered if there had been any of this kind of behaviour after the Ireland match, but then thought that perhaps I wasn't giving some Pakistani cricket fans enough credit.

Why on earth would the team's supporters wish the coach and captain to die? What a bunch of morons. And, at the risk of stirring up a bit of a hornet's nest, I would suggest that you would never hear of anything like this coming from English, Australian, West Indian, New Zealand fans, for example. There may be one or two, but never enough for a chant from a crowd. I wonder if any Pakistani supporter on these forums could explain to me why some people might feel the need to do this. Does it have its base in religion? Another cultural factor perhaps? Or just a mis-translation and it's all just a misunderstanding?

Really, how can some people have such disregard for human life?

Last edited:

shahid6995

Club Cricketer
lazy_chesnut said:
I wonder if any Pakistani supporter on these forums could explain to me why some people might feel the need to do this. Does it have its base in religion? Another cultural factor perhaps? Or just a mis-translation and it's all just a misunderstanding?

Its no misunderstanding, its not a mistranslation. Yes they really are asking for death to Inzimam, Woolmer and whoever else they feel may be responsible. It is a bunch of ignorant, uneducated, impoverished people who are taking out their frustrations in the easiest way available to them.

No, I am not offering an explanation, and I am not offering any excuses. As with a lot of things in my country, some related to cricket and most of them that are not, this is another thing that makes me ashamed to admit that I am a Pakistani. All I can do is offer my apologies to the rest of the people here on behalf of the inbreeding retards in my country. Because they sure as hell are not going to apologize themselves.

Hsn

School Cricketer
lazy_chesnut said:
Firstly, I would like to say what terrible news this is, as anyone who ever spoke to Bob Woolmer seems to be coming out of the woodwork to say what an amazing guy he was and how he always had time for anyone who wanted to speak to him.

Secondly, I think that it would be precisely the right thing to do for the Pakistan team to play the Zimbabwe match, and play their very best cricket in order to show everyone how much this means to them.

Somehow, it doesn't surprise me in the least that there were Pakistani fans chanting for Woolmer's death after the Ireland defeat (I have only heard this allegation on this forum, mind you). When I first heard the news of Bob Woolmer's death I wondered if there had been any of this kind of behaviour after the Ireland match, but then thought that perhaps I wasn't giving some Pakistani cricket fans enough credit.

Why on earth would the team's supporters wish the coach and captain to die? What a bunch of morons. And, at the risk of stirring up a bit of a hornet's nest, I would suggest that you would never hear of anything like this coming from English, Australian, West Indian, New Zealand fans, for example. There may be one or two, but never enough for a chant from a crowd. I wonder if any Pakistani supporter on these forums could explain to me why some people might feel the need to do this. Does it have its base in religion? Another cultural factor perhaps? Or just a mis-translation and it's all just a misunderstanding?

I totally agree with you there. There is an incredible amount of pressure on the sub continent teams. Cricket is like a religion there. Whenever a team (India or Pakistan) starts going on a winning streak, fans go crazy. Whenever teams are doing horrible, the fans demand their players' and coaches' heads. It's a shame. Cricket is a sport and it should be taken like that.

The news of Bob Woolmer's death was very tragic and sad. Cricket has lost one of its greats. R.I.P Bob

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
ZoraxDoom said:
Yea, now they should win that annual match against Hell's XI.
Sorry, just trying to lighten the mood...

:laugh After reading all the messages here, I was moved to almost tears, when I hit upon this message and immediately it brought a smile onto my face. Good job of lightening the mood outta here

I am shocked!!! :eek: Whats this? Lives are going away during this World Cup? I am eager to know the reason for his tragic death. I sincerely hope its not suicide. There was no necessity for a suicide.

Anyways, I will sincerely pray for his family! :upray . Hope they stand strong during these terrible times. Hope Woolmer's soul rests in peace.

Why hasnt the Indian team come out in condolence? Is it becoz of their match tomorrow against Bermuda? At least they should wear black bands in respect of Woolmer!

We have been repeating this often - Cricket is just a game, not life! Already some people are targetting Chappell and say that a similar fate might befall him. Holy crap! Plz stop this for heaven's sake. No one needs to give their life for cricket!

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Shocking news ! A sad day for the whole cricketing world and one which will take the sheen of the World Cup.
May his soul rest in peace !
Deep condolences to his family.

Being a coach of a subcontinent side( mainly India and Pakistan ) is very stressful job indeed .
Fans in India and Pakistan must realize that upsets are a part of any world cup and the team as well as the coach goes out there to win .
It is just that these defeats do come along the way.
To start burning effigies and demand coaches and captains to be arrested or wish for their death is just insane.

Cricket is after all a game, not life !
Life must go on, even after a loss to Bangladesh or Ireland.

I hope Pakistan crush Zimbabwe by a huge margin and Inzy finishing his fabulous career with a hundred !
C`mon Pakistan, do it for Bob !

F4rrukh

Panel of Selectors
aditya123 said:
Shocking news ! A sad day for the whole cricketing world and one which will take the sheen of the World Cup.
May his soul rest in peace !
Deep condolences to his family.

Being a coach of a subcontinent side( mainly India and Pakistan ) is very stressful job indeed .
Fans in India and Pakistan must realize that upsets are a part of any world cup and the team as well as the coach goes out there to win .
It is just that these defeats do come along the way.
To start burning effigies and demand coaches and captains to be arrested or wish for their death is just insane.

Cricket is after all a game, not life !
Life must go on, even after a loss to Bangladesh or Ireland.

I hope Pakistan crush Zimbabwe by a huge margin and Inzy finishing his fabulous career with a hundred !
C`mon Pakistan, do it for Bob !
That was the best post on PlanetCricket after a very long time! Made me cry, you are a great guy! Seriously, reps for this post!

kodos

International Coach
lazy_chesnut said:

Completely agree, I'm not blaming all Pakistan fans in fact most countries do the same when the team is losing but chanting him to death and burning effigies of him is utterly disgraceful. It's just a game after all, as I say to those who cry all day long about how their team or national team lose, IT'S JUST A GAME, it doesn't affect your life, sport is just an enjoyment or entertainement it should not take over your life. I think its about time these people grow up and realise it's just a game. This WC in future will be overshadowed by the tragic death of Bob Woolmer, no doubt about that.

RIP Bob Woolmer, best wishes to your family and close ones.

RoboRocks said:
Sad, RIP Bob Woolmer.
He has served cricket well
I won't be surprised if Pakistan forfiet their last game.
With them out of the world cup, Practicing for a game without a coach and with the death still in mind.
The surely can't play.

I would assume so too but perhaps they can play the final match of the WC for their great coach, he may be no longer watching at the ground but he may still be watching from above us and inspire Pakistan to win against Zimbabwe for Bob Woolmer.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Death, no matter how often it occurs, causes us to sit down and think about life, a life that we have transformed from being one worth living to one where we try to live as much as we can every second.

Things can change so much, so quickly.

Rest in peace, Bob Woolmer.

Users who are viewing this thread