'Born to be a protea'- David Lloyd

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Sky Sports commentator David Lloyd gave his daily opinion on the Sky website today, saying that Kevin Pietersen was 'born to be a protea'- do you think he's right?
DAVID LLOYD:
"Kevin Pietersen will surely make the step up to Test cricket this summer. And rightly so, he has the talent. He is as good a player as I have seen for a long time. It is rare to see a player walk into a side and dominate in such a manner. I only wish he was doing it for South Africa. Why? Because he is a South African. Jeff Powell in the Daily Mail and Tanya Aldred in the Guardian sum it up perfectly. After watching Pietersen smash England's fastest ever one-day hundred, Powell asked: "Was I alone in feeling somewhat uncomfortable when Pietersen was acclaimed as bludgeoning 'the fastest one-day hundred by an Englishman?'" Alrded writes: "He could have been the hero, to whites and blacks, been part of building a new nation. He could have walked out to roars at The Wanderers and not had to see his parents in tears as they heard their son being jeered by his former fellow countrymen. He could have sung the national anthem of the country....Instead he will be English but not quite. The wall of sound that greets Andrew Flintoff at Lord's will never be his."I agree with Powell who says: "Loyalty should reside in one's own country, not to be transferred when it suits. Pietersen proudly kisses the three lions on his helmet. Pietersen took Clive Rice's advice and moved to Nottinghamshire, thinking his path to Test cricket in South Africa would be blocked by quota systems. He is that good, that had he toughed it out he would be in the South African team, he is better than their current players. He is only young, and he may have acted hastily. He seems to be a grand lad, and he is a great, exceptional talent but when the going got tough, I would have preferred to have seen him stick it out. But there is no going back now and South Africa's loss is England's gain. If Pietersen was the positive for England this winter, then Steve Harmison was the negative.
It just didn't happen for him. He is not the first person this has happened to, but his test will be whether he can rediscover his from. I guarantee you it won't be for the lack of effort. He fronted up and admitted that he had not done well enough. He will be a big asset for England if he can rediscover his form. But England can look back on a great Test series victory. The team effort and team spirit in the Test matches was magnificent. But then it disappeared in the ODI series. We looked mentally shot and South Africa handled the psychological aspect of the game better than England."

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
tough imo. Pietersen obviously didnt agree with the selection policies or RSA government. im glad hes great!

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Yea think Bumble was a little harsh there, fair play to Pieterson i say!

Gibbsrules

Club Cricketer
Screw our selectors!This is what happens when you turn down talent for politics.I hope they learn their lesson quickly.

Inside_Edge

School Cricketer
Gerald Majola has denied any quotas are in place. Instead he has said that they have targets. Their target is, in 10 years, to have every player be of black origin. I dont see a very good future for South African cricket if this kind of thinking is in place at the very top.

Sureshot

Executive member
so RSa and zimbabwe have the same selectors if its the case they should be thrown out of cricket. racism is disgusting!!!!!

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
The official reason for South Africa being kicked out of international cricket back in the 70s was for having a selection policy based on race and not on merit. If this applies now, then why should they remain members of the ICC? Don't get me wrong, I look forward to the day when most of the South African team isn't white, but this should not be done at the expense of performance of the present day team.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I say the best players in the country should be selected. Idealism, isn't it? They must try and develop training facilities adequately and make learning cricket cheap enough that everyone has an equal opportunity to develop. Then they will be able to select their team based primarily on talent and not on skin color. A significant portion of South AFrica's population is made up of caucasians--so why discriminate against them?

Inside_Edge

School Cricketer
The problem for me is, I dont care what bloody colour the players are, if they are the best in the couintry then play them. If the best players continmue to be white for the next 50 years then they should be used. Wanting the team to be of a particular colour is racist in te extreme regardless of what the majorities are in that particular country.

Will p

International Cricketer
I think Pieterson was right to come to England, South Africa should learn a lesson in selection, when Thami Tsolekeile is being picked ahead of Mark Boucher, youknow you have a problem and he left because of this

Trescothick

Club Cricketer
Picking a player based on the colour of his skin, rather than his ability, is racist.

Users who are viewing this thread