9. :wi: :bwl: Malcolm Marshall (0)
  10. ?
  11. :sri: :bwl: Muttiah Muralidaran (0)
Looks pretty good at this moment.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I'm going to pick BOB TAYLOR one of the best pure glovemen to pay the game, and costs 0 centuries.

Taylor obviously spent a lot of time in Alan Knott's shadow, unlucky to play in an era of someone who was also a fantastic keeper, and a better batsman. Taylor's first chance at an unbroken run in the side came when Knott signed up to World Series Cricket.

Taylor's top test score was 97, and in that innings - he walked. It was one of only 3 test 50s.

But my god, what a keeper.

If I get everyone else I want, he'll bat as low as 10.

1. Jimmy Cook (0)
  2. Trevor Goddard (1)
  3. Nawab of Pataudi (1)
  4. x
  5. Stuart Law (0)
  6. x
  7. Mike Procter (0)
  8. x
  9. x
  10. Bob Taylor (0)
  11. x
2 centuries used, 8 remaining.

Next up is @ahmedleo414

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
Quite possibly the best Irish Test cricket player, shame he only got to play 1 match, Ed Joyce

880187-ysqacicauj-1527172591.jpg

Stats|Matches|Runs|HS|:bat:Ave|100s/50s
First-Class |256|18,465|250|47.71|47/92
Test |1|47|43|23.50|0/0

here is his bio from cricinfo:

"Ed Joyce is best known as the Ireland batsman who played for two different countries in successive World Cups. Joyce had switched to England when the 2007 World Cup took place, having helped Ireland's through the qualifying tournament, and became the first Irishman in the modern game to play for England. But he did not quite achieve the career he had envisaged and switched back to Ireland just in time for the next tournament in 2011. He had not quite achieved the four-year qualification period, but the ICC recognised a persuasive case and gave him special dispensation....

...Once Joyce recognised his England career was over, without the Test debut he had craved, he made clear his intentions to return to an international career with Ireland. He was named in an Irish pre-World Cup touring squad in October 2010 - more than five years after his last outing for Ireland - and shortly afterwards was granted special dispensation by the ICC to represent his country of birth at the tournament in February 2011. He explained that he had been driven to qualify for England by his desire to play Test cricket - "the pinnacle of the game" - but that as a "born and bred Irishman" he was eager to contribute to Ireland's success if that chance of Test cricket eluded him."

My Team:

1. :ire: :bat: Ed Joyce (0 centuries)
2. :eng: :ar: Wilfred Rhodes (2 centuries)
8. :aus: :bwl: Shane Warne (0 centuries)
9. :saf: :bwl: Dale Steyn (0 centuries)
10. :pak: :bwl: Waqar Younis (0 centuries)
11. :eng: :bwl: Jimmy Anderson (0 centuries)

Centuries used: 2/10

@blockerdave back to you i think...

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. @Yash. - :sri: :bwl: Muttiah Muralitharan (0)
  2. @Na Maloom Afraad - :eng: :ar: WG Grace (2)
  3. @Aislabie - :saf: :bat: Barry Richards (2)
  4. @VC the slogger - :ind: :bat: Vijay Merchant (3)
  5. @ahmedleo414 - :aus: :bwl: Shane Warne (0)
  6. @blockerdave - :saf: :bat: Jimmy Cook (0)
  7. @blockerdave - :saf: :ar: Mike Procter (0)
  8. @ahmedleo414 - :eng: :bwl: Jimmy Anderson (0)
  9. @VC the slogger - :eng: :bat: KS Ranjitsinhji (2)
  10. @Aislabie - :aus: :bat: Archie Jackson (1)
  11. @Na Maloom Afraad - :aus: :bwl: Glenn McGrath (0)
  12. @Yash. - :aus: :bat: Sid Barnes (3)
  13. @blockerdave - :saf: :ar: Trevor Goddard (1)
  14. @Yash. - :saf: :bat: Peter Kirsten (1)
  15. @Na Maloom Afraad - :wi: :bwl: Courtney Walsh (0)
  16. @Aislabie - :saf: :wkb: Lee Irvine (1)
  17. @VC the slogger - :aus: :bat: Brad Hodge (1)
  18. @ahmedleo414 - :eng: :ar: Wilfred Rhodes (2)
  19. @ahmedleo414 - :pak: :bwl: Waqar Younis (0)
  20. @VC the slogger - :aus: :ar: Monty Noble (1)
  21. @Aislabie - :eng: :bat: Douglas Jardine (1)
  22. @Na Maloom Afraad - :saf: :wkb: Pieter van der Bijl (1)
  23. @Yash. - :nzf: :bat: Stewie Dempster (2)
  24. @blockerdave - :aus: :bat: Stuart Law (0)
  25. @ahmedleo414 - :saf: :bwl: Dale Steyn (0)
  26. @blockerdave - :eng: :bat: Nawab of Pataudi (1)
  27. @Yash. - :aus: :ar: Michael Bevan (0)
  28. @Na Maloom Afraad - :eng: :bat: Duleepsinhji (3)
  29. @Aislabie - :ind: :ar: Ravindra Jadeja (1)
  30. @VC the slogger - :eng: :bat: David Steele (1)
  31. @VC the slogger - :nzf: :bat: Martin Donnelly (1)
  32. @Aislabie - :pak: :ar: Wasim Akram (3)
  33. @Na Maloom Afraad - :aus: :bwl: Dennis Lillee (0)
  34. @Yash. - :wi: :bwl: Malcolm Marshall (0)
  35. @blockerdave - :eng: :wk: Bob Taylor (0)
  36. @ahmedleo414- :ire: :bat: Ed Joyce (0)
  37. @VC the slogger
  38. @ahmedleo414
  39. @blockerdave
  40. @Yash.
  41. @Na Maloom Afraad
  42. @Aislabie
  43. @Aislabie
  44. @Na Maloom Afraad
  45. @Yash.
  46. @blockerdave
  47. @ahmedleo414
  48. @VC the slogger
  49. @Aislabie
  50. @VC the slogger
  51. @ahmedleo414
  52. @blockerdave
  53. @Yash.
  54. @Na Maloom Afraad
  55. @Na Maloom Afraad
  56. @Yash.
  57. @blockerdave
  58. @ahmedleo414
  59. @VC the slogger
  60. @Aislabie
  61. @Na Maloom Afraad
  62. @Aislabie
  63. @VC the slogger
  64. @ahmedleo414
  65. @blockerdave
  66. @Yash.
The situation so far

VC the slogger

PlanetCricket Forever
India
AFG...
I've redacted this because it's @VC the slogger who's meant to go next I think. Updating the index to make sure

I shall pick Taslim Arif, he of the sizeable batting average of 62.62 as an opening-batsman/keeper. I just realized I made a huge error picking Steele assuming him to be an opener, a position from where he averages a horrible 2. Steele can drop back to his favourite No 3, whilst everyone moves a place down to accommodate Arif.

That completes my centuries quota. Hope you guys have left me some decent bowlers to select..

@ahmedleo414

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
My next pick will go to Deryck Murray

213621.jpg

Stats|Matches|Runs|HS|:bat:Ave|100s/50s|Cts/Sts
First-Class |367|13,292|166*|28.34|10/72|740/108
Test |62|1,993|91|22.90|0/11|181/8

"Deryck Lance Murray (born 20 May 1943) is a former West Indies cricketer. A wicketkeeper and right-handed batsman, Murray kept wicket to the West Indian fast bowling attacks of the 1970s (including Andy Roberts, Michael Holding, Joel Garner and Colin Croft); his glovework effected 189 Test dismissals and greatly enhanced the potency of the bowling attack...

...In his career, Murray played as a wicketkeeper for the national Trinidad and Tobago team as well as playing 62 Tests for the West Indies. He was first selected for the West Indies as a 20-year-old, under the captaincy of Frank Worrell; in his maiden series in 1963 he effected a record 24 dismissals. Though he never scored a Test century, Murray's right-handed batting in the middle order could be effective. During his highest Test score of 91, against India in 1975, he shared a partnership worth 250 runs with Clive Lloyd (who scored 242 not out).

Murray played in the English County Championship for Warwickshire."

Seeing as I have so many great Fast bowlers on my Team, Deryck will fit in perfectly as a keeper and a mid-lower order batsman

My Team:

7. :wi: :wk: Deryck Murray (0 centuries)

@blockerdave you are next

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
My next pick will go to Deryck Murray

213621.jpg

Stats|Matches|Runs|HS|:bat:Ave|100s/50s|Cts/Sts
First-Class |367|13,292|166*|28.34|10/72|740/108
Test |62|1,993|91|22.90|0/11|181/8

"Deryck Lance Murray (born 20 May 1943) is a former West Indies cricketer. A wicketkeeper and right-handed batsman, Murray kept wicket to the West Indian fast bowling attacks of the 1970s (including Andy Roberts, Michael Holding, Joel Garner and Colin Croft); his glovework effected 189 Test dismissals and greatly enhanced the potency of the bowling attack...

...In his career, Murray played as a wicketkeeper for the national Trinidad and Tobago team as well as playing 62 Tests for the West Indies. He was first selected for the West Indies as a 20-year-old, under the captaincy of Frank Worrell; in his maiden series in 1963 he effected a record 24 dismissals. Though he never scored a Test century, Murray's right-handed batting in the middle order could be effective. During his highest Test score of 91, against India in 1975, he shared a partnership worth 250 runs with Clive Lloyd (who scored 242 not out).

Murray played in the English County Championship for Warwickshire."

Seeing as I have so many great Fast bowlers on my Team, Deryck will fit in perfectly as a keeper and a mid-lower order batsman

My Team:

7. :wi: :wk: Deryck Murray (0 centuries)

@blockerdave you are next

Deryck Murray is a wonderful pick.

Feels like de ja vu all over again, but: I’m going to spunk half of my remaining 8 century budget on AUBREY FAULKNER.

Might sound odd since I already have 2 all rounders in Procter and Goddard, but Faulkner is crucial to add balance to my side. A top class batsman with a test average above 40, he was also a world class leg spinner and pioneer of the googly. A tragic figure, he suffered from depression and killed himself aged 48, but he was undoubtedly one of the genuine greats.

1. Jimmy Cook (0)
  2. Trevor Goddard (1)
  3. Nawab of Pataudi (1)
  4. X
  5. Stuart Law (0)
  6. Aubrey Faulkner (4)
  7. Mike Procter (0)
  8. X
  9. X
  10. Bob Taylor (w)
  11. X
@Yash. i think you’re next

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
  1. :aus: :bat: Sid Barnes (3)
  2. :saf: :bat: Peter Kirsten (1)
  3. ?
  4. :nzf: :bat: Stewie Dempster (2)
  5. :aus: :ar: Michael Bevan (0)
  6. ?
  7. ?
  8. ?
  9. :wi: :bwl: Malcolm Marshall (0)
  10. :wi: :bwl: Joel Garner (0)
  11. :sri: :bwl: Muttiah Muralidaran (0)
Now let’s get Malcolm Marshall, his bowling partner, Joel Garner

upload_2020-5-9_23-1-21.jpeg

Statistics

Tests: 259 Wickets @ 20.97 (7 5WI, BBI 6/56)
First Class: 881 Wickets @ 18.53 (48 5WI, BBI 8/31)

Taking full advantage of his height, Joel Garner was fast, accurate, and most of all, relentless. With the ball coming in from over 6ft 8in high, his good length balls could even take off really hard, and could run through lineups any day. Adding to that, he had one of the meanest toe crusing yorkers in the game. He’ll partner Malcolm Marshall and will run through the lineups all day long.

@Na Maloom Afraad

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
The Boys
NMA's 10-TEST CENTURY XI

:eng: :ar: WG Grace (2)
:saf: :wkb: Pieter van der Bijl† (1)
:eng: :bat: KS Duleepsinhji (3)
:ind: :ar: Lala Amarnath (1)
:wi: :bwl: Courtney Walsh (0)
:aus: :bwl: Dennis Lillee (0)
:aus: :bwl: Glenn McGrath (0)

Lala Amarnath. He'll cost me just one ton.

"Lala Amarnath scored India's first Test century and went on to become Indian cricket's patriarchal figure: as selector, manager, coach and broadcaster, as well as in a literal sense - his three sons became first-class cricketers and two played in Tests."

"Amarnath, a Punjabi, was also the first to kick against the stifling domination of Indian cricket by the local princes and their imperial backers. It severely damaged his career. Amarnath's figures in his 24 Tests are nothing special, but they do no justice to either his spasmodic brilliance or his enduring influence."

"From a poor background in Lahore, when it was still part of India, he rose to prominence by scoring 109 ("a brilliant display" - Wisden) for Southern Punjab against MCC in 1933-34, and a few weeks later became a star with a century on his Test debut, India's first Test at home, at the genteel old Gymkhana ground in Bombay. With India facing an innings defeat, he took on the England attack and played, so he said later, "as if possessed by a mysterious power"."

"He hit 83 in 78 minutes, hooking Nichols and Clark with confidence and going down the pitch to hit Hedley Verity. Slowing just a fraction, he reached his century in 117 minutes. According to Mihir Bose: "Amarnath was engulfed with spectators, garlanded and congratulated while the band played 'God Save the King'."

"Though he did little in the remaining two Tests of that series, Amarnath was by far the best player - with bat and ball - in the early stages of the unhappy Indian tour of 1936, captained by the Maharaj Kumar of Vizianagram ("Vizzy"). Furthermore, Amarnath knew he was the best player and, having waited, padded up, during an unusually big partnership in the match against Minor Counties at Lord's, he was infuriated to be told that other batsmen would be promoted ahead of him. He swore at the captain and tour treasurer, and was sensationally sent home."

"The team's subsequent failures, a commission of inquiry, and history as written by people with a more egalitarian world-view than Vizzy have all combined to exonerate him. But it meant a 12-year gap between his third Test and his fourth."

"He remained a force in Indian cricket, however, scoring 241 for Hindus v The Rest in 1938-39. But when he visited England with the 1946 team, by then rehabilitated, his bowling was more potent than his batting, most dramatically in the first post-war Test, at Lord's, when he reduced England's first innings to 70 for four by dismissing Hutton, Washbrook, Compton and Hammond. "After a shuffling run of only three paces, he bowled off the wrong foot," said Wisden with slightly shocked admiration, "but he kept an almost impeccable length, moved his in-swingers probably more than any bowler in England, and mixed these with a cut leg-break of some venom.""

"The following year he was appointed India's captain for their first tour of Australia when Vijay Merchant withdrew. But with Bradman at his most merciless, India were understandably overwhelmed. Amarnath did little himself in the five Tests, averaging 14 with the bat, and taking 13 wickets, although he was magnificent against state sides. His 228 against Victoria contained, Neil Harvey said, the best cover driving he ever saw. He remained captain against West Indies in 1948-49 and in Bombay narrowly failed to lead India to their first Test victory. Then cricket politics again turned against him. There were arguments about money and second-class treatment (the visitors were treated royally; Indian players were dumped in second-class hotels)."

"Amarnath sought refuge in the Lancashire League. But he was buoyed by support from Bradman, who called him "a splendid ambassador", and by De Mello's subsequent fall from power. He was restored, though reduced to the ranks, in 1951-52 and took part when India at last won a Test, against England in Madras; passed over for the humiliating 1952 tour of England; and then given back the captaincy against Pakistan in 1952-53, apparently at the insistence of - of all people - Vizzy."

"Although India won their first series, Amarnath's contributions as a player were minor, and yet more internal machinations meant he left the job in anger. However, the wheel keeps spinning in Indian cricket and Amarnath's reputation grew with the years."

- - -

You're up @Aislabie? I think so, the index is a bit muddled.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
73ed89_5cef721b08274bf1b32184393585aa67~mv2.jpeg

:eng: :bat: Tip Foster

Test stats
: 602 runs @ 46.30 (1 century, best 287) in 8 matches
First-class stats: 9,076 runs @ 41.82 (22 centuries, best 287) in 109 matches

My first of this double pick will be Test cricket's greatest ever debutant, Tip Foster. Possibly the only international cricketer with more siblings than Ed Joyce, his first ever Test innings remains the highest ever score by an Englishman in Australia. One of the games more interesting figures, he and his brothers populated the Worcestershire ranks to such an extent that the county became known as "Fostershire" among most quarters; despite this, he would regularly miss county and England games to take care of his business interests. But despite this, and the diabetes that would ultimately claim his life most prematurely, he still found time to captain England at both football and cricket.

@Aislabie's XI:
1. :saf: :bat: Barry Richards (2)
2. :aus: :bat: Archie Jackson (1)
3. :eng: :bat: Tip Foster (1)
4. :eng: :bat: Douglas Jardine :c: (1)
5. :saf: :bat: Lee Irvine (1)
6. :ind: :ar: Ravindra Jadeja (1)
8. :pak: :ar: Wasim Akram (3)

Centuries: 10/10

Users who are viewing this thread