Problem: Catching

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Anyone has any idea how the catching in the game works? I have set the fielding on semi-automatic and I end up shelling 8-10 catches every innings. I have tried moving the right stick around when the ball is in the air but invariably I end up shelling the catch. Any tips & tricks on how to take catches would be appreciated.

Edit: I'm using "Fielder 1" as the fielding cam. Should I use another cam for fielding which will help me catch better?

Last edited:

plunky8724

School Cricketer
I use to have have a problem catching aswell. i only play in career mode so i only get caught and bowled catches (can't be bothered feilding) but what i do is flick the right stick up as soon as i see that the batsman has hit the ball towards me. i have no idea about outfeild catches

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
I use to have have a problem catching aswell. i only play in career mode so i only get caught and bowled catches (can't be bothered feilding) but what i do is flick the right stick up as soon as i see that the batsman has hit the ball towards me. i have no idea about outfeild catches

I'm struggling more with outfield catches.

Jadel

Club Captain
Move the rs toward the ball. Job done. They are super human with fly paper on their hands. It's pretty hard to make them drop a catch.

Or...

Are you not using semi assisted fielding?

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Move the rs toward the ball. Job done. They are super human with fly paper on their hands. It's pretty hard to make them drop a catch.

Or...

Are you not using semi assisted fielding?

I'm using semi-assisted fielding. Do you have to continue holding the right stick or you let it go after pointing? Also, in which direction do you need to point? Right stick Up?

Jadel

Club Captain
I'm using semi-assisted fielding. Do you have to continue holding the right stick or you let it go after pointing? Also, in which direction do you need to point? Right stick Up?

I dont think it really matters where you push it however I mostly push it toward where the ball is going to land. I also push it right about when I want him to execute the catch. I dont hold it just push it once.

I havent bothered experimenting to see if it can be done another way as I never drop catches unless Im not really paying attention.

nightprowler10

Executive member
I dont think it really matters where you push it however I mostly push it toward where the ball is going to land. I also push it right about when I want him to execute the catch. I dont hold it just push it once.

I havent bothered experimenting to see if it can be done another way as I never drop catches unless Im not really paying attention.

I tried this method and so far missed one catch while actually using the RS out of like five tries.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member

Thanks for the tip and now my catching has improved quite a lot but I still drop caught & bowleds or a fast catch to mid on, especially the low ones. For high catches I point the Right Stick up and continue holding it and end up catching. But this approach doesn't seem to work for sharp low catches.

Do I need to point Right Stick down for these sort of catches, i.e. where the fielder needs to dive forward to take the catch or the catch is at the bowlers's ankles/knee height?

Jadel

Club Captain
Thanks for the tip and now my catching has improved quite a lot but I still drop caught & bowleds or a fast catch to mid on, especially the low ones. For high catches I point the Right Stick up and continue holding it and end up catching. But this approach doesn't seem to work for sharp low catches.

Do I need to point Right Stick down for these sort of catches, i.e. where the fielder needs to dive forward to take the catch or the catch is at the bowlers's ankles/knee height?

for c&b I use a quick downward stab on rs. It works 100% of the time for me. I think because Im already pushed forward from the delivery I just whip it back when I hear the shot.

I have dropped a couple hard hit to mid on too. I think it might need a push right or left (depending on the batter) which im not as quick at hence the drops.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
for c&b I use a quick downward stab on rs. It works 100% of the time for me. I think because Im already pushed forward from the delivery I just whip it back when I hear the shot.

I have dropped a couple hard hit to mid on too. I think it might need a push right or left (depending on the batter) which im not as quick at hence the drops.

Thanks. I guess that's why I was dropping hard low catches.

TripleM

Club Captain
After all of the conflicting advice on catching in this and other threads, I asked @HBK619 to sort it out once and for all:

HBK619 said:
It's actually a lot simpler than people think. I believe there is something in the manual about it however, unless that was a later edit that I'm thinking (which will be in the digital version).

But basically, all you need to do to take a catch is hold the right stick in the direction the ball is coming towards the player. There's no specific time you need to do it, anytime before the ball arrives is fine. Caught and Bowled dropped catches will always be dropped due to lack of input unless it is coming directly at the bowlers mid-riff. Same thing for Keeper and Slip fielder reaction catches.

Multiple flicks of the stick will result in less chance of catching the ball as well.

So not tap up / tap down / tap when you see circle etc, but hold in the direction of the ball.

sportsgamer

School Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I have tried everything but still cant take a wicket by caught and bowled

sportsgamer

School Cricketer

Is there any way i can increase the input? My career player drops the easiest of catches,even the ones he doesn't need to dive for.

sportsgamer

School Cricketer
thanks,took my first caught and bowled today.

Users who are viewing this thread