Chaminda Vaas retires from Test cricket... or does he? Yes, yes he does.

OnlyClarkey

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
CHAMINDA VAAS, one of the best fast bowlers Sri Lanka has ever produced has decided to retire from Test cricket. This was disclosed by Sri Lanka's chief selector Ashantha de Mel, who said that the cricketer had decided to quit the longer version of the game to concentrate on the 2011 world cup.

The Sri Lankan chief selector told media persons that Chaminda had told him that he would be available for the shorter version of the game but does not want to play Test cricket.

Vaas' retirement from test cricket comes in the wake of the decision of the Sri Lankan team to overlook him for the two test matches against Pakistan.

Earlier, Sri Lankan captain Kumar Sangakarra had hinted that Vaas was likely to quit one form of the game to ensure that he could give his hundred percent to the team. Sri Lankan team has benefitted vastly with Chaminda's prowess with the new ball as he picked 354 wickets in the course of 110 tests, he played for his country.
from merinews.

I really have never seen that much of him but I know how highly regarded he was in Test cricket, luckily for Sri Lanka they have a good bowling attack at the moment. Will he be missed?

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
I don't know if you can say he will be missed as he hasn't been that great over the last few years and his pace has been way down. But he was a very good bowler and I've always enjoyed watching him bowl. Nathan Bracken has always reminded me of Chaminda Vaas as the two are very similar bowlers. Vaas always looked to take the pace of the ball he bowled a lot of cutters.

Tbh though I can't see him making the WC in 2011, Sri Lanka do have some very good bowlers coming through the ranks.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
I was surprised by this, but the article of cricinfo tells it all.

King Cricket

International Coach
He hasn't been that great over the last few years

His past records you talk about aren't that bad. Last year, he played 6 tests, picked up 20 wkts with an avg of 28.20. He's not at his best, and his pace isn't that fearsome any more- but he still remains a good bowler. And in tests, I would pick him over Thusara anyday. Thusara is really overrated when it comes to test cricket.

irottev

School Cricketer
His tie was up anyway. If he's not retiring that's his own problem. There's a few other Sri Lankans who need to let go too.

Max Peters

Club Captain
Well he has denied claims of retiring, so I hope not. If he works hard enough he might get into the 2011 world cup side. However, he would be 37 years old by then. He has still got it in him.

nikhil_99

International Coach
He had good bowling variations,and has been serving for a long time for SL,he is definately a good quality left arm seamer....but still the question is,has he retired from tests?or not?

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I would suggest that this is a not so subtle demonstration of the decision being made for him.

Chetan0304

Chairman of Selectors
Chaminda Vaas will bow out of Test

Warnakulasuriya Patabendige Ushantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas tor retire from test cricket

"I am officially retiring from Test cricket after the third Test against Pakistan, but will continue playing one-day and Twenty20 matches till the 2011 World Cup," he told reporters in Colombo, but declined to take any questions.

Chaminda Vaas to retire from Tests | Cricket News | Sri Lanka v Pakistan 2009 | Cricinfo.com

What's interesting that he made his test debut Vs Pakistan in 1994, and retiring playing against Pakistan in 2009.

One of the best and successful fast bowler.

P

pcfan123

To get 350 odd wickets under 30 and accompany it with 3000+ runs is legend.

EDIT: just saw that he actually has 400 ODI wickets at 27 too!

Users who are viewing this thread