Chappell caught in yet another Indian storm

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
NEW DELHI: Australian Greg Chappell is at the centre of another Indian cricket controversy after a former selector accused the national team coach of questioning his integrity and interfering with team selection.

Chappell wants to drop key players - former skipper Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag, Zaheer Khan and Harbhajan Singh - from the Indian team, The Times of India newspaper quoted Yashpal Sharma as saying in an interview.

Sharma accused Chappell, a former Australian captain, of describing him as being deposed cricket board president Jagmohan Dalmiya's man.

"I have been labelled as Dalmiya's man and that is not right ? Yes, Chappell questioned my integrity during my tenure," said Sharma, who was one of three Indian selectors replaced after Dalmiya's supporters lost elections for top posts on the Board of Control for Cricket in India last week.

Chappell, who succeeded New Zealand's John Wright as India coach this year, was not available for comment.

Chappell had already been in a public row with Ganguly during the team's tour of Zimbabwe, and has since attracted anger over his supposed role in the then-captain's demotion.

Dropped from one-dayers, Ganguly has returned to the Indian team for the first Test against Sri Lanka

http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/...er-indian-storm/2005/12/05/1133631202945.html

Good dam if thats true he is making some major changes there. Harbhajan has been going well and you just don't drop a guy like Sehwag. I wonder how much longer Chappell will last.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I just posted abt this in the "Indian team fan club" thread

http://www.planetcricket.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14009&goto=lastpost

I think Yashpal Sharma's case is that of sour grapes! He is probably miffed at the board sacking him as selector!

It could also have been that Chappell wanted Sehwag out when he had come into the team at first! But now going by how he talks about Harbhajan and Sehwag, they are not going to be dropped. Yashpal is trying to influence the minds of Bhajji and Sehwag who are very volatile at mind!

sohail

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
oh boy what is happening to indian cricket... everyday theres new news lol

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
When you have a good person handling Indian cricket, there will be a group which will try all sorts of things to disrupt the good work. How strong the good person is to thwart all these attempts is what is important!

This is just what is happening. Its insane that Yashpal Sharma has picked Sehwag and Harbhajan to attack Chappell.

cricket_lover

International Cricketer
Sai, i appreciate your support for Greg Chappell. I think Greg is a perfect person for a coaching role but you cannot deduce anything from that article or assume whatever Yashpal said as non-sense. Until anything concrete can be found, these sort of gossips will not help Indian cricket at all.

India is progressing, let them do! Why does the media tend to care so much. If something is wrong, i am sure there are people who can take care.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
The real people who care--the players themselves--know the truth. It is not that difficult to realize when someone doesn't want you in the team. I think Yashpal Sharma was probably severely misquoted. Maybe Chappell wanted to experiment a team for the Zim tour. Who knows? It's bullcrap anyway. Anything related to BCCI makes my stomach rumble.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
cricket_lover said:
Sai, i appreciate your support for Greg Chappell. I think Greg is a perfect person for a coaching role but you cannot deduce anything from that article or assume whatever Yashpal said as non-sense. Until anything concrete can be found, these sort of gossips will not help Indian cricket at all.

India is progressing, let them do! Why does the media tend to care so much. If something is wrong, i am sure there are people who can take care.

I support Chappell and I am also allowed to voice out my own opinions. That was my opinion about that gossip which said Chappell is trying to remove Sehwag and Bhajji! I think its not true!

I dont say that I am absolutely right. I said what believe to be true! Anyone sane who read what i said would know what I meant! I believe Chappell is not a person as Yashpal is making it out to be! If I am proved wrong, I will accept it. But as for now, my opinion is that Yashpal is crying over his sacking as national selector!

cricket_lover

International Cricketer
saisrini80 said:
I support Chappell and I am also allowed to voice out my own opinions. That was my opinion about that gossip which said Chappell is trying to remove Sehwag and Bhajji! I think its not true!

I dont say that I am absolutely right. I said what believe to be true! Anyone sane who read what i said would know what I meant! I believe Chappell is not a person as Yashpal is making it out to be! If I am proved wrong, I will accept it. But as for now, my opinion is that Yashpal is crying over his sacking as national selector!

I have the same opinion as well, Yashpal might just be annoyed with being fired. But what does he have to do with Greg Chappell?

For now, i think Greg is a better person. If the story unfolds, more, it'll be interesting.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
oh well, i thought you're on the other side.. anyways, great to know you share the same opinion....

greg has too many challenges of coaching this indian side. had he been the type of coach that john wright or anshuman gaekwad was, no one would have come up with this many controversies against him.. why people come up with controversies against him? because he is a 'no nonsense' person who focusses only on his job and does not look to please everyone. thats when you face the most challenges. but the best thing out of it is if you're strong enough to face all that, not only do you come out with flying colors, but the team that you're handling also reaps the benefits!

Users who are viewing this thread