Closest matches

I think that the closest I have experienced was while playing with Lancashire against Nottinghamshire at Old Trafford in the one-dayers. Batting first, we totalled c. 230, which looked like a fairly competetive score on a turning wicket. In the second innings, matters looked propitious for Lancashire, having restricted Notts to a paltry 120-5 from the first 25 overs. Unfortunately, a resolute rearguard action (or fortuitous slog depending on your perspective) allowed them back into contention. With the score on 213-8, and one over remaining, the tables had turned somewhat in the favour of the visitors. Needing two to win from the last ball, we managed to restrict Ryan (Sidebottom) to a single run, securing a tie in the process.

In fact, an uncanny similarity was in evidence between the actual fixture between the two sides and my simulated version. With Notts needing 6 to win from the final over, Dominic Cork (and indeed the rest of the side) managed to curtail the Outlaws' valiant efforts and secure victory by a single run. Whilst not exactly a repetition of history, I was pleased to see that the game managed to encapsulate much of the excitement of the actual game, and produce a pretty damn good simulation of the match.

Last edited:
Blaze_UK said:
I think that the closest I have experienced was while playing with Lancashire against Nottinghamshire at Old Trafford in the one-dayers. Batting first, we totalled c. 230, which looked like a fairly competetive score on a turning wicket. In reply, things were looking favourable, having restricted Notts to a paltry 120-5 from the first 25 overs. Unfortunately, a resolute rearguard action (or fortuitous slog depending on your perspective) allowed them back into contention. With the score on 213-8, and one over remaining, the tables had turned somewhat in the favour of the visitors. Needing two to win from the last ball, we managed to restrict Ryan (Sidebottom) to a single run, and securing a tie in the process.

In fact, an uncanny similarity was in evidence between the actual fixture between the two sides and my simulated version. With Notts needing 6 to win from the final over, Dominic Cork (and indeed the rest of the side) managed to curtail the Outlaws' valiant efforts and secure victory by a single run. Whilst not exactly a repetition of history, I was pleased to see that the game managed to encapsulate much of the excitement of the actual game, and produce a pretty damngood simulation of teh match.

Does "Where the bloody hell are you?" offend you old chap?

this is not one of the closest wins on paper as i've won many matches on run rates ie the scores were tied but the context of this match makes this an all time favourite for me.What a splendid last over......and a team with well set batsmen in the opposition...i just love it!

Surrey vs Durham
County Championship

I declared with about 40 overs to go and needed 8 wickets in the final session to win the match and take top spot on the table. Durham were playing for the draw as they needed about 10 an over to win. The pitch had uneven bounce and sharp turn, I just went aggressive for the win, with international recruit and Pakistani gun Danish Kaneria in peak form. He took 6 wickets in about 10 overs, before it came down to the last over. Kaneria bowling, 2 wickets required. He took one 4th ball, caught at short leg. 5th ball was a dot. The tension was at maximum now. Last ball of the day, quicker ball in the blockhole, struck him on the pads and... its given! Surrey have done it! Danish Kaneria takes 8 wickets in 15 overs to win the game! :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread