Cricket back at the Commonwealth Games?

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
The ICC are currently discussing a proposal to have cricket feature at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi.

Cricket featured in the games in 1998, with South Africa winning the gold medal.

So should cricket be at the Commonwealth Games? And what form should it take?

I say yes, but only if it's a Twenty20 tournament, for time purposes, and to avoid taking prestige away from the World Cup.

sid_19840

International Coach
I agree,a 20-20 tournament in the commonwealth games would be good,but will the international player's play in these sort of games,I doubt.

JamesyJames3

International Coach
I can see the best players participating. I mean why not? if they really love cricket, they would play any game, even that game you aussie call backyard or wotever! :)

20-20 format would be better though, so thats a good call andy. The talks of a 20-20 world cup have been around for a while, and this may be the stage to introduce the international 20-20 tournament.

sid_19840

International Coach
But what if some teams are on tour at that point,how do they bring their international players to play at this place.So probably in the end every country might end up sending their second group of players.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
The last time it was in the games in 98, it was done without the ICCs sanction. So this time, if they're getting their permission, the ICC may clear the international calendar for 2 weeks.

JamesyJames3

International Coach
sid_19840 said:
But what if some teams are on tour at that point,how do they bring their international players to play at this place.So probably in the end every country might end up sending their second group of players.

There will be a mutual agreement of some sort I would think. The games usually take place in June time, but im not sure what time it will be in Delhi.

Vaughan_Fan

Club Cricketer
I think this would be a great idea but like all of you said only as a Twenty20 International tournament. but yeh id actually rather have the 2nd or even 3rd XI guys playing(as long as it was future and up and coming guys with maby two or three experienced campaigners).

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Depends where they are. The last time the games were in Asia they were in September. And September is a pretty dead month for international cricket most years.

sid_19840

International Coach
sounds good,I guess we need more updates from the ICC and the commonwealth games before we can further comment.

irottev

School Cricketer
20/20 will be the only way it will probably be possible. Bring it on. Although players are playing enough cricket as it is.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
If this happens Aus will need to find some big hitters. They will want to win the title as always. :D

irottev

School Cricketer
aussie1st said:
If this happens Aus will need to find some big hitters. They will want to win the title as always. :D

You have enough hitters in my opinion. You also have something just as important: fast running between the wickets.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Good point. NZ will also be right up there, as would the English. Haven't seen the other teams play so harder to tell with them.

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I hope this goes through. Cricket needs more exposure in the world. Who knows, we might see Twenty20 cricket in the next Olympics.

Users who are viewing this thread